Might buy my first handgun, input anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glock period.. the G23 is the most popular handgun sold the last several years.. most reliable, 65% of all law enforcement use Glock..
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=GulfM3;15994797]
Originally Posted by -Ross-
Here's my 9mm in my Cross Breed Supertuck holster.

You guys really like the Cross Breed? I have one and never really warmed up to it, it always dug into my back when I was driving. Any suggestions?

For the last several few months i've been carrying a Taurus SLIM 9mm with a Kangaroo Carry holster, super comfortable and it hardly ever prints. Which is huge for me, I'm a skinny guy and don't care for baggy clothes.
I haven't got my carry license yet, so I couldn't tell you. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what because when I put it on, I can see the grip of my gun as plain as day (pushing my shirt out). The horsehide is pretty comfortable during the little time I have worn it.

I've actually thought of just keeping my Beretta in my vehicle and getting a Ruger LCP to put in my pocket for when I am walking around.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Alien

Do the Kahr or the XD9 have any less recoil than a Glock, or are they all about the same?

My mistake for even mentioning the slight possibility of using it as a carry gun later on, but thanks for the woman's POV.
Like I said, I haven't shot a kahr yet, I just like the way it fits my hand and how light it is to conceal. My friend had a keltech which is similar in size but it's a cheapy gun and he said that had a lot of kick to it. From the reviews I read, if you're looking for something that size kahr or the ruger lc9 is the way to go. But I haven't researched anything lately (been too busy looking at car parts).

I haven't shot a glock that is comparable to the xd9, so I can't tell you for sure. I'm not sure how strong your wife is, but my friend that I took my CHL class with, she looks like she's about 90 lbs., she has an xd9 sub as well and shoots it with no problems.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NV my V
Like I said, I haven't shot a kahr yet, I just like the way it fits my hand and how light it is to conceal. My friend had a keltech which is similar in size but it's a cheapy gun and he said that had a lot of kick to it. From the reviews I read, if you're looking for something that size kahr or the ruger lc9 is the way to go. But I haven't researched anything lately (been too busy looking at car parts).

I haven't shot a glock that is comparable to the xd9, so I can't tell you for sure. I'm not sure how strong your wife is, but my friend that I took my CHL class with, she looks like she's about 90 lbs., she has an xd9 sub as well and shoots it with no problems.
I'm a glock guy myself there's a reason that LEO and military personnel carry these... But I did pick up a KAHR 9mm and loved the way it fits in my hand and love the way it weighs.

I guess you could consider my opinion

I own all 3 subcompacts
Glock 27 .40 cal- Best all around handgun for the money
Springfield xd40-I shot the most accurate with this...
Kahr 9mm- I just love the way it fits in my hand since I have big paws. Do not get bigger caliber than 9mm with this handgun due to it's lightweight . I shot the .40 and it was by far the worst with accuracy..
Then again your not really target practicing with a subcompact..
My chic fired all 3 and I told her she could choose out of the 3.
She chose the glock due to it's ease of loading and slide release pressure..
Of course I didn't tell her that the springs been modified and it's got the nightsightsBut I'm a man ofmy word she got it...
Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=-Ross-;15995405]
Originally Posted by GulfM3

I haven't got my carry license yet, so I couldn't tell you. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what because when I put it on, I can see the grip of my gun as plain as day (pushing my shirt out). The horsehide is pretty comfortable during the little time I have worn it.

I've actually thought of just keeping my Beretta in my vehicle and getting a Ruger LCP to put in my pocket for when I am walking around.
Adjust the cant to the full foreward position. Thats what all those holes are for. Put the rear clip in the bottom hole, and the front in the top. If you need, you can punch a higher hole up front to cant it more. The LCP is a great BUG or pocket pistol. My wife's has eaten everything we've fed it.

Here is how my well worn ST is set up.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 02-22-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good training to clear the gun too.

This is probably true, but the G19 and (future) G23 are here to stay for HD (I'm not even going to mention I/we may eventually carry the 23... oops). I get the feeling Glock is one of those love them or hate them brands. Before we got the G19, we did goto a gun show and handle what was out there, especially the XD vs the Glock. She didn't say any one style was better than any other, but I guess it's kinda hard to know what feels good when you don't exactly know what feels good. She wasn't turned off by the Glocks, but did prefer the 4th gen over the 3rd gen. I want her to be able to use them of course even tho they're not ideal. For the .22, I'm trying really hard not to sway her decisions, else I'd already be here playing James Bond with my ... I mean her new PPK Just want to be able to give her the idea of which ones to ask at the dealer/range. Standing at the counter and asking which one of the 30+ she wants to look gets an "I don't knoooow" reply. Having them pull out 4 and asking which feels best is working, that's how the P22 is on the list to rent at a range. Just don't want to miss one simply because the store didn't have any in at that time.

Agreed on the first statement, but don't tell her that I said that Two handed isosceles, yes. I never thought of half filled magazines, that's an easy place to start.

Do the Kahr or the XD9 have any less recoil than a Glock, or are they all about the same?

My mistake for even mentioning the slight possibility of using it as a carry gun later on, but thanks for the woman's POV.
I liked Glocks. Even had a G27. After I started handling and shooting other pistols Glocks didn't feel as good and I was less accurate with the G27. I now carry an XD40SC. To me yes, the Glock had more felt recoil than the XD. When I took my quallifying test I used the G27. My forearms were sore afterward because of it. I've done the same amount of shooting with the XD and P239 without that issue. My wife and her sister who are both very petite have no problem shooting the XD and P239. I just bought the wife a Sig 1911 for V-day. She's been drooling over 1911's for a few years now.

Read up on the Walther .22 reviews. There are a lot of people that don't like them. Ruger has a new .22 out that I've been debating, but I'll let other people be the beta testers for me.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 02-22-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Absolutely love my XDM .40 3.8!!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rugar lcp update:

Pro: it's small and can fit everywhere!

Con: gun is tiny! Took to the range a few weeks back, felt like the gun wanted to jump out of my hand.. Had a hard time trying to get a good grip.

Also the trigger pull is so damn long!! First time I pulled I put the gun down to inspect, come to find out you lit have to pull it all the way back
Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also another con-ish

Putting the clip back in, you have to slide it in half way, push the release then continue to slide it all the way in..
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add a twist ...

I'm on a waiting list for the XDs45
http://xdspistol.com/

I own several XDm pistols ... 9mm SC and a standard 4.5 and the 5.25 45. Awesome guns right out of the box.
And don;t confuse the Springfield XD line with the XDm line. Different guns altogether.

All that ... but I carry a Ruger SR9c
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 05 GSXR 1XXX
Rugar lcp update:

Con: gun is tiny! Took to the range a few weeks back, felt like the gun wanted to jump out of my hand.. Had a hard time trying to get a good grip.

Also the trigger pull is so damn long!! First time I pulled I put the gun down to inspect, come to find out you lit have to pull it all the way back
The trigger is DA, so yes it is long by design just like a revolver.

I have no problems firing the LCP. How are you gripping it?
There is also a little extension for the magazine that'll give you a pinkie rest that may help.

Your info about a magazine change is not the norm. I can slide it all the way in with my thumb and not have to push the release button. The rental we tried before we bought ours was like this too. You may want to try another magazine or another pistol and see if one of yours needs some work.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Launching!

I owned a Glock 27 a long time ago. Best handgun I EVER owned. If you're gonna carry, there is none better. Currently, I have a Glock 19 that is over 20 years old. Have had NO problems with it. Glocks are the way to go! Only thing with 27, expensive to shoot. Although, .40 a GREAT defense round, if u can afford to practice with it!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Look at the Beretta PX4 Storm SC .40. Here it is next to a Glock 26.

I have the 9mm version. It's a little wide for a daily carry gun, but it could definitely be used as one.

Here's my 9mm in my Cross Breed Supertuck holster.
I love my Px4 Storm I wanted a xdm 40 till I held one then I found the Px4 storm I ended up with it in a full size it doesnt have much kick to it and eats through ammo smooth Ive only got about 200rds through it but no jams what so ever! I also got a full size Colt Combat Comander thats older than me and rough cuz my dad used to carry it everywhere but it so reliable you cant go wrong with a Colt 1911
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Read up on the Walther .22 reviews. There are a lot of people that don't like them. Ruger has a new .22 out that I've been debating, but I'll let other people be the beta testers for me.
I've found the P22 to be hit or miss in reviews. Some people have problems, others not a lick. As with most things, of course the problem (FTF/FTE) guns are going to be more vocal. The cracking slide to me just says plain cheap materials and construction and that's just not acceptable. SR22 has more Glock-like controls, and the 'backwards' safety isn't an issue for us since the big brothers are Glocks. Only downside to the SR22 I've read is the heavy DA pull. For what we want it for (range), it'll be easy enough to just shoot in SA. Right now, I'm really leaning towards a SR22, just gotta find a shop that has one for the wife to hold.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone have any shooting time with the S&W M&P9c or 40c? I've narrowed down my choices to one of those or a G19/G23.
Sorry to threadjack OP.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 05 GSXR 1XXX
Rugar lcp update:

I put ~200 rnds through it in the last month and it feels a bit better broken in.

One thing I did notice is you have to really make sure to pull the slide all the way back and release it to get the slide to go all the way forward. My slide would sometimes need a extra push to get it to go the last 1/8th ". I've stripped & cleaned it a few times already also. It doesn't seem to matter if it's oem lcp mag or the ones I bought locally.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've found the P22 to be hit or miss in reviews. Some people have problems, others not a lick. As with most things, of course the problem (FTF/FTE) guns are going to be more vocal. The cracking slide to me just says plain cheap materials and construction and that's just not acceptable. SR22 has more Glock-like controls, and the 'backwards' safety isn't an issue for us since the big brothers are Glocks. Only downside to the SR22 I've read is the heavy DA pull. For what we want it for (range), it'll be easy enough to just shoot in SA. Right now, I'm really leaning towards a SR22, just gotta find a shop that has one for the wife to hold.
Ya, the reviews are mixed. Having had a problematic pistol (not the P22) in the past there were enough bad reviews for me to shy away from the walther even after having a good experience shotting a coworker's P22. The pistol I had problems with received mixed reviews like that too.
The only SR22 I've seen in person was at a gun show, and it was a shop out of Brenham. Every place I've asked about them say they haven't been able to get one in. I may eventually get one. I'm just leary of early production runs and would rather let other people find the problems and have to mess with sending it in for warranty work.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _max_POWER
Anyone have any shooting time with the S&W M&P9c or 40c? I've narrowed down my choices to one of those or a G19/G23.
Sorry to threadjack OP.
No experience here. The ATF chose the M&P along with the Glock as teir duty weapons. Sounds like the choice is a difference in ergonomics to me.

Which feels better and you shoot better with?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
No experience here. The ATF chose the M&P along with the Glock as teir duty weapons. Sounds like the choice is a difference in ergonomics to me.

Which feels better and you shoot better with?
I like the way the m&p feels a little better but "glock reliability" is hard to argue with.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess I need to take mine in for proper inspection, I figured it was part of the safety for the gun, it's the same every single time..

Also might try that extension, Anything so I can grip the gun better!

Quick Reply: Might buy my first handgun, input anyone?