Might buy my first handgun, input anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Although I do carry my full size S&W Sigma .40 sometimes, I rather prefer either my Ruger LCP .380 or the DB9 9mm.

And I'm very partial to the Meco split pocket holster too!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you shot that DB much? I had a DB380. It had a fail to feed or fail to eject literally every 2-3 rounds. Then something the trigger mechanism broke after about 150 rounds. It was sent back. Took them a month to fix it. When it came back the markings on the sights were all messed up so I got rid of it and got my P238.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 05 GSXR 1XXX
Guess I need to take mine in for proper inspection, I figured it was part of the safety for the gun, it's the same every single time..

Also might try that extension, Anything so I can grip the gun better!

If you have larger hands then a slip on grip may help by slightly increasing the grip size. I'm pretty sure Hogue or Pachmayr has one small enough. Wolff has a LCP spring kit to reduce felt recoil. I haven't used it, but a friend of mine changed the springs and really liked the change.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
the ballistic difference between modern 9mm rounds and .40 is almost non existent. The round was created because the FBI wanted something more powerful at the time, and couldn't handle the 10mm round so SW necked it down to the .40. With +p and +P+ bonded core readily available now a days, you are literary throwing money away on ammo because misinformed people think that it has more "knockdown" power, knockdown power being a myth in and of itself perpetuated by people who have no working knowledge of anatomy or ballistics.
Well, i wont argue with you too much because I am definitely no kind of expert on either topic. But the .40 is a heavier bullet, and ive been told by people that do know a hell of alot more than me that the .40 puts more of its energy into its target than a 9mm as well. Ive also seen a few ballistics maps of what different rounds do to soft tissue, and the .40 does a bit more damage than the 9mm. So, maybe in some peoples opinion the round isnt worth the extra cost, but what does that really matter?

Let's say we are talking personal protection. If you have a .40 and go buy a brick of ammo and all you will ever use it for is self defense, how much money are you really throwing away? Is it worth penny pinching for the $3 extra bucks you spent? How much ammo are you really going to have to go through? hopefully none! Its always going to be about individual preference. To say the .40 is a worthless round is not accurate. Apply same logic to target shooting. Now there is where the dollar difference would really matter. If you think about it, anyone that shoots the larger calibers at a target are truly just throwing their money away. But they do it because of preference, and enjoyment. Ive got two .45s and a 10mm I shoot regularly. and as bass awkards as I am, i have a 9mm for CC.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Have you shot that DB much? I had a DB380. It had a fail to feed or fail to eject literally every 2-3 rounds. Then something the trigger mechanism broke after about 150 rounds. It was sent back. Took them a month to fix it. When it came back the markings on the sights were all messed up so I got rid of it and got my P238.
No I only have 75 rounds through it. 50 FMJ target ammo, and a box of personal protection ammo. So far it's been 100% reliable. I did read some posts from people having the issues you described though.

I target practice every couple of months... if it starts acting up I'll just trade it in. I hope it never has problems though, because this thing is sweet! It's nice having an LCP sized 9mm.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
No I only have 75 rounds through it. 50 FMJ target ammo, and a box of personal protection ammo. So far it's been 100% reliable. I did read some posts from people having the issues you described though.

I target practice every couple of months... if it starts acting up I'll just trade it in. I hope it never has problems though, because this thing is sweet! It's nice having an LCP sized 9mm.
Well hopefully yours is a good one. The pocket 9mm market has really taken off. If you do end up needing another you'll have plenty of choices. I saw where sig has the P938. Its tempting to get and give my P238 to my wife, but I don't need another caliber to stock.

As for the .40 SW debate..... .40 S&W is about a whopping $3/box of 50 rounds more than 9mm, and very equal in price if you reload. Sounds like a real money pit to me.
All I'll say about the ballistics and "knock down" is that for a heavier bullet travelling the same velocity as a lighter bullet (read more kinetic energy) not to expend more energy into what it hits, be it tissue, ballistics gel, or a steel plate goes against some laws of physics. While I don't think it will knock someone down like on the movies, I also don't agree the whole arguement. I have yet to see anyone cover the law of conservation of energy or Newton's 3rd law very well.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 03-09-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Might buy my first handgun, input anyone?