Houston Texans Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEO
It was a decent run for the Texans this year, hopefully Jones and Jackson will be gone next season and Yates can stop with all the interceptions.
Isnt Schaub going to be back?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

I hope not... I think Yates has a lot more athleticism than Schaub. I think he will improve in the off season and could become a solid QB.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

100% chance that Shaub is the starter - its not even a valid topic of discussion...

BUT, if you watch the very last heave from Yates, the ball came down and the ONLY person that it hit was Walter right in the shoulder pad - while he was in the end zone !!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

I watched that replay several times and tried willing Walter to rotate and come down with that...ugh
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
I watched that replay several times and tried willing Walter to rotate and come down with that...ugh
The Texans got beat by the Texans.. too many hail mary's and jones gave one away to the Ravens...
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
For Yates to toss that ball over 50 yards in the air and to hit a Texans player in the shoulder pads pisses me off...

We have DIV II receivers behind an injury prone stud WR...
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup, the Texans hurt themselves too much this game.

Having a rookie quarterback showed. I'm still on the fire Kubiak bandwagon as I still feel the game was managed horribly.

Hopefully we can rid ourselves of kareem jackson and jacoby jones as well :o
Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Thought on today's loss

• I hope this was Jacoby Jones's last game in a Texans uniform. He is worthless as a receiver, and has fielded punts off of the bounce several times this season. Shame on Kubiak for continuing to trot him out there as the punt returner.
  • I still stand by this: If Wade leaves, fire Kubiak immediately. We know what the team can do with just Kubiak in charge, and we know how much better they are with Wade in charge of the defense. Pay Wade to keep him here.
  • I am anxiously awaiting Schaub's return. He makes bonehead plays, too, but he typically only does it once per game. Yates proved to me that he's a solid #2 QB. Cut ties with Matty "Checkdown" Leinart and get a 3rd string QB to fill out the roster.
  • Have we seen the last of Mario Williams in a Texans uniform? If he's under contract, the Texans should consider trading him. With the emergence of Brooks Reed and the rest of the front seven, they might not NEED Mario. That said, how much better would they have been if he had remained healthy (and tried hard, which isn't his strength)?
  • Kareem Jackson fell down.
  • The Texans need to draft or sign a real WR. There's Andre Johnson...and everybody else. Jones can't catch with his face, and Walter is ok, but not great.
  • I hope Demeco Ryans returns to full speed next season, as is typically the case with achilles injuries. If not, he appears to be just another guy.

-Mike
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by imlooking
100% chance that Shaub is the starter - its not even a valid topic of discussion...

BUT, if you watch the very last heave from Yates, the ball came down and the ONLY person that it hit was Walter right in the shoulder pad - while he was in the end zone !!!!
Im glad someone else saw this, I thought I was the only one. At first glance it look liked someone batted the ball away, but after I replayed it over and over, you can clearly see that it hits Walters right on the shoulder pad. For some reason he never turned his head back to find the ball. Its almost like he didnt even know the play was for him.

Now on to Jacoby. Why in the hell did Kubiak keep him in the game and returning punts? Did anyone else notice that on his second punt return he fumbled the ball AGAIN?? What a joke. And the times that he did manage to secure the ball, he either had no gain or lost yards. I say **** it, let Allen return all kickoffs and punts.

And yes, Jackson still is the worst corner in the league. Cut/trade is *** and get rid of Jacoby as well.

Defense played great, and kept this game close. They deserve a lot of credit.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
Im glad someone else saw this, I thought I was the only one. At first glance it look liked someone batted the ball away, but after I replayed it over and over, you can clearly see that it hits Walters right on the shoulder pad. For some reason he never turned his head back to find the ball. Its almost like he didnt even know the play was for him.

Now on to Jacoby. Why in the hell did Kubiak keep him in the game and returning punts? Did anyone else notice that on his second punt return he fumbled the ball AGAIN?? What a joke. And the times that he did manage to secure the ball, he either had no gain or lost yards. I say **** it, let Allen return all kickoffs and punts.

And yes, Jackson still is the worst corner in the league. Cut/trade is *** and get rid of Jacoby as well.

Defense played great, and kept this game close. They deserve a lot of credit.
This.

Next year looks promising!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

My assessment of the game and season:

-Kubiak shows no grit. It pissed me off greatly when he decided to kneel the ball down at the end of the 1st half, with 27 seconds to go. That is enough time for 3-4 plays down field, maybe even time for a few strikes at the end zone or at least a long pass and FG. On a game that close, every second counts. We had no risk, and Ravens were receiving the ball after halftime anyways. His play calls were too routine and easy to follow.

-Jacoby Jones. This guy is overpaid and produces nothing. I understand he is a team leader, but the guy should just wear a cheerleader outfit if that is all he is good for. Two fumbles and running backwards on punt returns? These are high school mistakes! Not NFL caliber. He also does nothing as a receiver.

-Mario Williams. Good talent, but our D has proven they don't need him. While I'd love to keep him, the fact is that his huge salary could be used better to fill missing gaps in the rest of the team. Perhaps starting at QB, as well as in the secondary. Maybe another all-star level receiver.

-Kareem Jackson. The "rookie" excuses ended last year, he has no excuse this year. This guy should go play in the Canadian league, he is our weak spot in any long pass coverage. The other team QB's know this, and keep throwing to whoever he is covering.

-TJ Yates. What I like about TJ is that he never appears frantic, he is pretty calm and seems to have the leadership qualities of a good QB. We asked a lot out of him, and he did better than most would do as a rookie in his situation. His rookie mistakes cost us, but we sort of expected that. Give him another 2 years in the NFL, and I think he'll do well. Even Eli Manning used to make the bonehead moves like TJ did, but then he learned not to go for broke and give the ball away.

-Foster, Watt, Cushing, Reed, Barwin, Tate, Johnson, Schaub - damn good season fellas. Enjoy your deserved time off. We need you healthy for next season.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Thought on today's loss

• I hope this was Jacoby Jones's last game in a Texans uniform. He is worthless as a receiver, and has fielded punts off of the bounce several times this season. Shame on Kubiak for continuing to trot him out there as the punt returner.
  • I still stand by this: If Wade leaves, fire Kubiak immediately. We know what the team can do with just Kubiak in charge, and we know how much better they are with Wade in charge of the defense. Pay Wade to keep him here.
  • I am anxiously awaiting Schaub's return. He makes bonehead plays, too, but he typically only does it once per game. Yates proved to me that he's a solid #2 QB. Cut ties with Matty "Checkdown" Leinart and get a 3rd string QB to fill out the roster.
  • Have we seen the last of Mario Williams in a Texans uniform? If he's under contract, the Texans should consider trading him. With the emergence of Brooks Reed and the rest of the front seven, they might not NEED Mario. That said, how much better would they have been if he had remained healthy (and tried hard, which isn't his strength)?
  • Kareem Jackson fell down.
  • The Texans need to draft or sign a real WR. There's Andre Johnson...and everybody else. Jones can't catch with his face, and Walter is ok, but not great.
  • I hope Demeco Ryans returns to full speed next season, as is typically the case with achilles injuries. If not, he appears to be just another guy.

-Mike

always right in line with your thinking.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
My assessment of the game and season:

-Kubiak shows no grit. It pissed me off greatly when he decided to kneel the ball down at the end of the 1st half, with 27 seconds to go. That is enough time for 3-4 plays down field, maybe even time for a few strikes at the end zone or at least a long pass and FG. On a game that close, every second counts. We had no risk, and Ravens were receiving the ball after halftime anyways. His play calls were too routine and easy to follow.

-Jacoby Jones. This guy is overpaid and produces nothing. I understand he is a team leader, but the guy should just wear a cheerleader outfit if that is all he is good for. Two fumbles and running backwards on punt returns? These are high school mistakes! Not NFL caliber. He also does nothing as a receiver.

-Mario Williams. Good talent, but our D has proven they don't need him. While I'd love to keep him, the fact is that his huge salary could be used better to fill missing gaps in the rest of the team. Perhaps starting at QB, as well as in the secondary. Maybe another all-star level receiver.

-Kareem Jackson. The "rookie" excuses ended last year, he has no excuse this year. This guy should go play in the Canadian league, he is our weak spot in any long pass coverage. The other team QB's know this, and keep throwing to whoever he is covering.

-TJ Yates. What I like about TJ is that he never appears frantic, he is pretty calm and seems to have the leadership qualities of a good QB. We asked a lot out of him, and he did better than most would do as a rookie in his situation. His rookie mistakes cost us, but we sort of expected that. Give him another 2 years in the NFL, and I think he'll do well. Even Eli Manning used to make the bonehead moves like TJ did, but then he learned not to go for broke and give the ball away.

-Foster, Watt, Cushing, Reed, Barwin, Tate, Johnson, Schaub - damn good season fellas. Enjoy your deserved time off. We need you healthy for next season.

Dont forget Manning and Joseph. Huge acquisitions to the team.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Yall have a lot to be happy about, hopefully the Texans make the right moves in the off-season and bolster their weak spots. I'd be mighty tempted to leave Yates in...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Only allowing 227 total yards is clamping down. I stated last week that the defenses are pretty equal, so the team with the fewest mistakes will win. Well the Ravens played mistake free, no turnovers and no penalties is making up for a sub par offense. Take the 17 pts off turnovers away and you have a 13-3 Texan lead. Can't give it up like that, great season for the Texans, next year looks very promising as long as the core is there. No knocking TJ, but lets not script who we are going to throw the ball to right away next time.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it was a good season for the texans, its going to be hard to repeat a playoff run with number 18 slated to come back into uniform. Untill that man retires or goes on IR again its gonna be hard to predict another afc south crown, let alone a wild card birth.

However with that being said, there is a slight chance he gets traded ( highly doubt it considering what hes done for the colts ) another slight chance he isn't physically ready for training camp, and another slight chance he is benched for luck. Yeah jim caldwell will prolly sit number 18 for luck, cuz he's that retarded as a head coach. So there is reason for optimism for the texans
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 PM

Manning already said he's not going to be a qb coach...
Old 01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Manning should consider coaching, joint and muscle damage are one thing. The spine and neck injuries are another. I understand him wanting to comeback and finish his career on his terms, just don't think its worth risking another neck injury, walk away while you still can Peyton.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Well it was a good season for the texans, its going to be hard to repeat a playoff run with number 18 slated to come back into uniform. Untill that man retires or goes on IR again its gonna be hard to predict another afc south crown, let alone a wild card birth.

However with that being said, there is a slight chance he gets traded ( highly doubt it considering what hes done for the colts ) another slight chance he isn't physically ready for training camp, and another slight chance he is benched for luck. Yeah jim caldwell will prolly sit number 18 for luck, cuz he's that retarded as a head coach. So there is reason for optimism for the texans
As long as we get the cornerback situation taken care of, peyton is nothing to be worried about. The only problem we'll have is those little yellow flags that always come out when someone seems to touch him. People said the same thing when we played the steelers, what happened there? Texans played an amazing season and finally had a taste of the post-season, lets hope they train even harder and come back even hungrier.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hats off to the Texans for making it to the playoffs ....

Not sure why you guys are bashing Yates.. He is a rookie going up against Baltimore thats a tough challenge.. Atleast he wasnt running the same damn play like Tebow..

Quick Reply: Houston Texans Discussion Thread