Upgraded my watch today

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVYXTREME_00
A good made watch like rolex is an investment. Most of them do not lose value. http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/e...3172-000P-9236 Now these are bad *** watches. That is the one I am going to get. They make Rolex look like a Timex.

Now thats a bad *** watch!! I would might actually wear one of those, and I would hire anyone that walked in wearing one!!

I do like this watch though anything with internal parts you can see moving just triggers my eye.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rabiddog
Now thats a bad *** watch!! I would might actually wear one of those, and I would hire anyone that walked in wearing one!!

I do like this watch though anything with internal parts you can see moving just triggers my eye.
I agree, that is a BAD *** looking watch.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

You could just skip an interview with a watch like that.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't expect many Texans to understand the quality and craftsmanship of a nice time piece.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't agree with the whole interviewing someone and picking them over what suit or watch they wear.

Most of the time that person that blows thousands on a "suit" or "watch" is some insignificant *** hat that gets paid way too much to sit in an office and do nothing all day.

I'm not saying EVERY guy that wears expensive **** is useless and or an *** that gets paid too much so don't take that the wrong way.

I will never pay over 100 for a watch simply because I CAN pull out my phone and look at what time it is and some of us hard workers can usually tell what time it is during the day without even looking at an "expensive wrist weight".

As a matter of fact I don't even own a watch HAH and I never will, useless.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe the point with NineBall's interpretation was lost. In my field of work, we have a lot of social dinners/events with big bosses and it is more of "Get in where you fit in" theory. That was Too Short by the way!

One should always look the part of not the position he/she has but the next one up in the professional world.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like Tony mentioned a watch is a great reward for milestones/achievements in one's life.

My brother and I were fortunate to get some classic Omega pieces (sea master & constellations) for our college graduations, but would love to be in the point in life where I could spend 5-20k on a watch.

Would love to pick up:

Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 PM
LS7 Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
When I'm interviewing candidates for the same position, and a few of them are wearing $75 Fossil watches and a $100 suit, I can tell you that the other guys that showed up in the $250 suits and nicer watches already have the edge, if you guys interview exactly the same. If the guy interviewing you has a nice watch on, and you don't - he WILL notice. Trust me on that one. I don't recommend pulling out any phones to check the time, during an interview. If I even catch a glimpse of your phone during that interview, you are screwed. Keep on walking.

If your boss has a nice watch on, and you don't, he will also notice. I know this seems vain and sorta gay sounding, but it is what it is.
How can you catch the watch when they are wearing French cuffs and a properly fitted shirt and jacket? You must make them reach for things on the table
Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Love all the haters on a watch when most of us grew up with posters on the walls of exclusive vehicles. I doubt anyone here would ever say that they had a boner growing up for a minivan because it gets you to soccer practice just as well as a Ferrari.

Like Tony mentioned it is noticed by upper level employees and in my line of work, that is important. I also consider it a better investment than any car part. How many of you have bought a Flowmaster, used it for a year then sold it for at least as much as you paid for it???
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

You suck, and that's just because I'm jealous of you lol. Nice watch bro.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

And for you haters
dont forget your weekend watches.....

Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I own a black chrome fossil,which im happy with, tells time looks good.
However thank god I know how to do alot of stuff and have learned and got good at various skills and will never have to worry about my watch or wardrobe deciding my employment status.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Veteran

I've got a couple of nice Fossil watches I wear, that's about the most I'll spend on a nice watch.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill take the $20,000 over the watch and make $75000 through investments ALOT faster than the watch will go up in value. That said, you don't go into a 6 figure job interview wearing a fossil watch. My dad has a presidential Rolex my grandfather left him. He doesn't wear it very often though. No need when you're just flipping burgers.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Because they are mechanical devices, and the top level ones are still hand made with fine craftsmanship. Very similar to how top end cars are, right? And most men don't understand our fascination with cars.
Bingo.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

You guys fail at reading comprehension.

I said all else being equal. If two candidates come in and give the exact same interview, exact same qualifications, etc... you'd be a moron to assume that your appearance doesn't matter. Nobody said it was the most important, but you simply fail if you do not at least make an attempt to gain that edge. Honestly, don't even wear a watch to an interview - unless you have a nice one. It might come up as a conversation thing, which also gives you an edge. As for cars, I always bring up my hobbies when asked. I also ask candidates what their hobbies are.

Don't take this **** too seriously. If it offends you, then you probably are just some negative nancy and are bitter about something. LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
Ill take the $20,000 over the watch and make $75000 through investments ALOT faster than the watch will go up in value. That said, you don't go into a 6 figure job interview wearing a fossil watch. My dad has a presidential Rolex my grandfather left him. He doesn't wear it very often though. No need when you're just flipping burgers.

you don't buy a watch for it to go up in value, i think the point the person earlier was a watch will retain it's value more than most car parts/cars BUT they will depreciate like most things.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe the point with NineBall's interpretation was lost. In my field of work, we have a lot of social dinners/events with big bosses and it is more of "Get in where you fit in" theory. That was Too Short by the way!

One should always look the part of not the position he/she has but the next one up in the professional world.
Correct. In blue collar fields, this will not transfer over well to them. It just happens and I understand where they are coming from.

In regards to white collar situations, the social aspect is a whole different realm and has to be played in that regard.

It is just something that happens. It is like a marketing agency not picking the fat chick as their newest project representative.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

And you guys are too literal with Nine Ball's post, and if you think he just hires based on attire y'all are fools.

He's just making a point that you have two employees, both with equal qualifications, experience 9 out of 10 times you would pick up on the person that has the nicer suit/watch etc.

Quick Reply: Upgraded my watch today