Upgraded my watch today

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All very nice watches. But I want one like under cover brother. With a hot sauce dispenser! That would come in so freaking handy!!. J/K LOL. Im going to get a aviation/military inspired watch. But have to get my girl one as nice.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
I own a black chrome fossil,which im happy with, tells time looks good.
However thank god I know how to do alot of stuff and have learned and got good at various skills and will never have to worry about my watch or wardrobe deciding my employment status.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Maybe this is another point being missed. Those who like/collect watches don't just appreciate the expensive watches. I also have a couple Casio G-Shock watches, that I wear when I'm doing water sports or skiing, or outdoor activities. I have all sorts of watches. I prefer Tag Heuer though, not because I think they are the best. It is because they are inspired by automotive racing heritage and are active motorsports participants. I hold Rolex in the same regard, they are heavily involved in auto racing. Both brands have models named after famous race tracks, etc...
When I had a couple nice(IMO) fossil watches I'd always forget to take them off and inevitably scratch them up

That's cool that you support those brands because they support the hobby we all love, didn't realize tag was into motorsports.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

The Tag Monaco that I wear daily was featured in a 1971 racing movie, worn by Steve McQueen. Any of that Gulf Racing stuff you see, Heuer was involved in it. Here is the one I'd love to own, but it is around $10K.

Backside:

Those colors are from:

And more recently:

Old 01-17-2012, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
You are also into cars, do you notice what your co-workers drive? Or do you pretend that you don't notice? Those of us that like watches also notice watches. Why is this so difficult to understand? If you don't feel manly enough to discuss watches, that would be your own homo-phobia and insecurity speaking.

In my line of work, details are everything. That line of work affords me the toys I love, as well as the watches I enjoy owning. Maybe it is also the industry I'm in, offshore oil/gas. Out on the vessels, even the "blue collar" crew seem to appreciate owning a nice watch. I see more Rolex's (real ones) offshore than I do at the office. Ever visit an offshore oil platform? Those guys bank so much that buying a $5K watch is easy. But don't worry, I also buy guns, tools, sports crap, and other stuff too. You may/may not understand some of that too.

LOL. You guys take this too serious.

Well of course i notice what they drive, but i think noticing a car as it drives into the lot is much different than visually scouring someone and looking for watches, jewelry, clothing brands, etc. I understand where your'e coming from perfectly-- my first post said something to the effect of it being a status symbol, not unlike jewelry. I don't think that's so different from what you said about blowing thousands of dollars on a watch 'because you can' or to impress people at the office. That said, I hardly think watches make for a good discussion, but I guess I'm just not cultured enough to understand the finer nuances of watch appreciation.

It's cool that you and your oil rig buddies can afford fine watches. Had no idea that was an oil rig thing, or maybe it was hyperbole. Don't really care about that, or that you're gay, or that you buy guns and sports equipment. Going back to the point in my original post, cars, guns, tools and sports equipment all have a utility to them. for example, buying go fast parts for your car is useful in that your car wouldn't go as fast without them. guns are obviously used for self defense and/or hunting- different guns have different qualities to them with regard to caliber, range, weight, etc. that make them useful in different situations. watches, on the other hand, all tell time. its doubtful that you'd find a watch that would tell time any better than another watch except perhaps an atomic clock, which can be had for 10 bucks at walmart.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Utility ! = Hobby and appreciation.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

With as many pages as this has gone on I would have sworn there was pictures of naked women in here. To my disappointment it was just some cool looking watches that I will most likely never buy but I can still appreciate them. Kind of a pointless argument here, everybody is interested different stuff and I don't know a person alive that does not judge on appearance to an extent. That's why you think some girls are hot and others would require lots of alcohol. I drive a 300,000 mile '90 4x4 and I like my truck and I like working on it and keeping it running, but I'm not telling someone with a nice new truck that doesn't know the first thing about fixing their truck that they are gay. I say if you don't like watches find another thread.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just started getting into watches. I got married in December and my groomsmen went in on a Luminox F-22 Raptor that I love and while on a cruise for the honeymoon I got a killer deal on a Citizen Skyhawk AT. I definitely can appreciate wearing a nice watch.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quite different watch discussions over here than at some MB, and some other automotive boards I frequent.

I've been interested in watches for as long as I have had one and I do take notice of what kind of watches people are wearing. All this is while I'm wearing a sub-$200 Citizen because I haven't been able to justify it to myself to spend $1000+ on a watch.

At least not yet, that is...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
It's cool that you and your oil rig buddies can afford fine watches. Had no idea that was an oil rig thing, or maybe it was hyperbole. Don't really care about that, or that you're gay, or that you buy guns and sports equipment. Going back to the point in my original post, cars, guns, tools and sports equipment all have a utility to them. for example, buying go fast parts for your car is useful in that your car wouldn't go as fast without them. guns are obviously used for self defense and/or hunting- different guns have different qualities to them with regard to caliber, range, weight, etc. that make them useful in different situations. watches, on the other hand, all tell time. its doubtful that you'd find a watch that would tell time any better than another watch except perhaps an atomic clock, which can be had for 10 bucks at walmart.
If you only care about utility, then why own a nicer car than you really "need"? Are you really this argumentative, LOL!

In my line of business, some of these offshore vessels cost over $1,000,000 per day. They charge by the minute. So, I suppose time is very important, thus the "utility" is there. But hey, that is only $695 per minute. Not a big deal, right?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Texfinn
Quite different watch discussions over here than at some MB, and some other automotive boards I frequent.

I've been interested in watches for as long as I have had one and I do take notice of what kind of watches people are wearing. All this is while I'm wearing a sub-$200 Citizen because I haven't been able to justify it to myself to spend $1000+ on a watch.

At least not yet, that is...

Between there and 6speedonline.... I bet they are all ****

/members of ls1tech

lol
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wore this today btw:

Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Niceeee

Anybody else here dig the invicta brand?

I got 3 working on my 4th hehe. Swiss made is the way to go imo
Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are invictas good watches? Or good "status symbols"? I question it because I've seen so many plain/cheap looking ones sell for $50, and some nicer ones sell for about the same. And we also have a bunch that are $100-$300 but the quality doesn't look any better on them. And "MSRP" on all of them range from $200-$700.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the cruise, Invicta had a 60% off sale. I wish I would have paid closer attention to them. Instead I got a citizen with a 40% discount.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the laughs LS1tech. You always deliver.

For what it's worth I wore my >$1000 Indy 500 Tag today because I wanted people to notice...Being gay and all...

I wore it to my interview with my current company and guess what, it started a conversation that was more personal after the "business" aspect was aside. Found out that two of my four interviewers had similar taste in watches. Bad part is I had to suffer a 22% increase in pay to accept my new position.

William
Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro-Sutra
Thanks for the laughs LS1tech. You always deliver.

For what it's worth I wore my >$1000 Indy 500 Tag today because I wanted people to notice...Being gay and all...

I wore it to my interview with my current company and guess what, it started a conversation that was more personal after the "business" aspect was aside. Found out that two of my four interviewers had similar taste in watches. Bad part is I had to suffer a 22% increase in pay to accept my new position.

William

Yep thats totally gay.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Although I have a rubber strapped daily during the summer:

I just picked up another daily watch for the office.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

SO GAY FOR THIS THREAD

Old 01-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Funny most people I know that are into watches, like cars and guns also. All just part of enjoying/appreciating the engineering behind what it takes to make a nice timepiece.

Like that you put gardening, housekeeping and watches in the same category since everyone that posted in this thread has similar hobbies as you do, except enjoys watches as well.

Again, thanks LS1tech for the laughs. It's about all this site brings nowadays. Almost everyone that can afford to has moved on from the 4th gen platform.

Quick Reply: Upgraded my watch today