Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To much hate going on in this thread
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I'm an ME and did this too, but I typiaclly only get pissed off when working on cars now, so I quit doing it! I can barely pull the strength to work on my cars anymore. I lost the love of it, and really just want to get the cars to where I want them - then drive the wheels off of them.

If you think the guys on tech are successful, try forums for other makes/models, such as Lambos, ZR1's, ect. Must be nice to track day a brand new M5 thats 1 week old off the lot.
you must make a lot of mistakes
Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i mean obiously lambo and bmw forums have successful members but ive seen some people here and would like them to chime in

I mean im just not sure what to do in life so many things i want to accomplish in life but all require money and just want to travel the world have good paying job and enjoy life, but seems i dont have direction in life ik lost lol
Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by needtransam
Yeah i mean obiously lambo and bmw forums have successful members but ive seen some people here and would like them to chime in

I mean im just not sure what to do in life so many things i want to accomplish in life but all require money and just want to travel the world have good paying job and enjoy life, but seems i dont have direction in life ik lost lol
make some priorities in life. start with smaller goals and keep on making more and it will snowball into what you want.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Keep in mind though tht some of these guys might be a bit older too.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Going to school for business admin isn't bad! That's what I went to school for and I'm currently a business manager for a financial administrative firm. But I also did a lot of car stuff on the side, not necessarily mechanical work, more of marketing, promoting and car show production.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NV my V
Going to school for business admin isn't bad! That's what I went to school for and I'm currently a business manager for a financial administrative firm. But I also did a lot of car stuff on the side, not necessarily mechanical work, more of marketing, promoting and car show production.

Yeah I actually don't think its bad at all maybe just the teacher's that I currently have don't really know how to teach

But my way of thinking is that I want to be successful in life, just really really lost in what to do??

Can people in Mechanical Engineering chime in, in your experience with that career?

how about you NVmyV what can you tell me about the business side of things?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Being successful is one thing, what you are doing to be successful is another. You can ask people what they do to be successful but you cant base a career path on that. Its like asking the ME's here what exactly they do. They most likely love it but you might not. Shoot I can be successful as a Computer programmer/Software and make butt loads of cash but you might not like it. If you are trying to go into something just because someone else is successful in it then you are going about it all wrong. Do want YOU want and feel good about. One thing to remember is that being successful doesnt mean being happy. Just my opinion...
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Teching In

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another. I guess my whole point is, don't limit yourself to mechanical engineering just because you have an interest in cars. It's great if mechanical engineering is what you want, but there's a lot of other aspects you can get involved in. I'm in finance which doesn't sound very car-involved and can be boring to some people, but for me, I'm dying for a finance position to open up at Circuit Of The Americas. Just keep in mind there's a lot of things to do on the business side as well such as finance, marketing, etc.

I totally understand though, when I was younger, I wanted a career in the automotive industry somewhere but didn't know what. Somehow I got into car show judging for the hell of it and eventually got pretty heavily involved in car shows. I got to travel, met a lot of people, networked, and got the opportunity to do a lot of things I never even thought of. It was all done on the side for fun, but I definitely used a lot of networking and the experiences to my main career's advantage.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Teching In

It's not hard to figure out how to make money, but there are several ways to do it. I don't think anyone has asked, but what are you interested in? What can you see yourself doing everyday? How exactly do you want to make money? There are just so many options. Maybe you would be happier doing a certain thing for less money? Success to you may not necessarily be a life of riches and luxury. Find out what it means to you. Do research. Asking people what they do and then looking at how much they make is the wrong way to go about it. Find out what they do and ask yourself, is that something I would enjoy doing??

I myself love cars, boats, planes, etc.. basically anything loud, fast, high tech and complicated.. I like working on cars and engines, i'm fascinated by high tech stuff, and I wasn't afraid to learn high level math and physics. I want plenty of money (financial security), but plenty of time to spend with my future family; so I want steady hours and a steady job with little to no travel. Therefore, I'm now pursuing a career as a mechanical engineer. As an ME you can stay in one place or travel, and you can work in many disciplines (upstream/downstream oil and gas, energy, aviation, EPC (engineering procurement and construction), etc..), you can manage projects, you can travel as a field engineer, you can be in design, you can be a consultant, and so on.

My advice to you is to figure out what you like and what you could see yourself doing, then bust your *** and work towards it.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99whitez28
Being successful is one thing, what you are doing to be successful is another. You can ask people what they do to be successful but you cant base a career path on that. Its like asking the ME's here what exactly they do. They most likely love it but you might not. Shoot I can be successful as a Computer programmer/Software and make butt loads of cash but you might not like it. If you are trying to go into something just because someone else is successful in it then you are going about it all wrong. Do want YOU want and feel good about. One thing to remember is that being successful doesnt mean being happy. Just my opinion...

Originally Posted by NV my V
I'm not trying to convince you one way or another. I guess my whole point is, don't limit yourself to mechanical engineering just because you have an interest in cars. It's great if mechanical engineering is what you want, but there's a lot of other aspects you can get involved in. I'm in finance which doesn't sound very car-involved and can be boring to some people, but for me, I'm dying for a finance position to open up at Circuit Of The Americas. Just keep in mind there's a lot of things to do on the business side as well such as finance, marketing, etc.

I totally understand though, when I was younger, I wanted a career in the automotive industry somewhere but didn't know what. Somehow I got into car show judging for the hell of it and eventually got pretty heavily involved in car shows. I got to travel, met a lot of people, networked, and got the opportunity to do a lot of things I never even thought of. It was all done on the side for fun, but I definitely used a lot of networking and the experiences to my main career's advantage.

You guys have valid points, its true just doing something because you can get lots of money doesn't mean your going to be happy, I'm just not sure what to go for, like for instance I have an extend experience in Computers, software, hardware ect but I'm good at it but doesn't seem to get my whole attention, so I want to know how I could find something I really like and get paid good money for it how hahaha so hard not sure why im so undecided
Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
To much hate going on in this thread
X2 but now it seems to be going in the right direction...
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not living with a girlfriend helps too.

I asked my girlfriend if I could go live my mom (no rent or bills) for 6 months so I could build my 427 and then come back when its done. She said no.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

To me it's all about sacrifices and not being lazy. Don't make excuses for anything, just get **** done.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

successful doesn't always have a direct relationship with money. The older I'm getting, the more I realize money isn't everything (it does help, though).

When I see myself being 'happy' when I'm older, it has more to do with achieving self-appointed goals vs. a set dollar amount.

Happiness means different things to different people. When I got my degree, I was SOOOO happy, but I hadn't made a penny until I got a job. Now that I have the job, I'm setting new goals. The key to big goals is setting small, attainable goals with a timeline associated with each one. You will get there if you stay the path. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
To me it's all about sacrifices and not being lazy. Don't make excuses for anything, just get **** done.
x2. This is what really seperates people. Their character, work ethic, and not being lazy and willingness to work hard.

If you told half the 'occupy wallstreet' people their college would be free as long as they went into a field that would be technology beneficial, I bet few would do it or complete the degree. They want the hand out, but won't put in the time to earn it.

Someone I hugely admire - a woman at my gym that has 3 kids, works full time, is working on her masters degree at night, is extremely active, and she still works out everyday. No excuses for her, and she has a lot more on her plate than 95% of people. She also has her priorities straight and makes time for the important things in her life.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

just do your best at everything you do, and assuming you're competent, someone will take notice and eventually you'll make your way up there. i've been working retail since i was 18 while i was going to school. now that i'm done with my degree i'm trying to go into contracting/subcontracts, but my current employer is trying to get me to go assistant store manager to be in line for the next store that opens up. doesn't sound glamorous, but 50-70k is pretty good money for a 23 year old--just not what i want to do with my life. after that you get into district/regional type management, which makes quite a bit more.

no matter what you do, chances are you won't be making good money right out of school, not without debt anyway. you can't expect to be making 6 figures like some of these guys do--just start small, work hard, and eventually you'll get there. if you're willing to believe that nothing is below you, that might open some doors up too. there is nothing wrong with starting out "blue collar" and working your way up.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by needtransam
You guys have valid points, its true just doing something because you can get lots of money doesn't mean your going to be happy, I'm just not sure what to go for, like for instance I have an extend experience in Computers, software, hardware ect but I'm good at it but doesn't seem to get my whole attention, so I want to know how I could find something I really like and get paid good money for it how hahaha so hard not sure why im so undecided
Well if you like computers and things like that, then i just depends how far you are willing to go. Shoot just get your MSCE or the newer one (systems admin)and i promise you will make good money. If you like networking, get anything in Cisco and they make good money too. Thing about Computers(computer information systems), its always going to advance just like anything else. In that industry there is so many ways to go its not even funny....there is database jobs, web development, sys admins, networking, programming. I do IT because I find it easy.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Stay in school best advice your gonna get
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW, now that I read some of you guys(not sure if some girls here ) posts I can conclude that it might be easier than I thought, I mean why take so much pressure to do something right? What I mean is I should just go for something and try it, if I don't like it I could just change and probably get something better

My overall point is like some of you guys said, happiness is not always money, but whatever makes you happy do it right? so ill see what I want to do and go from their

P.S: I guess I got some of you guys going on the subject and opened up, keep the advice going actually enjoying this thread now hehe

Quick Reply: Successful Carrer?