Successful Carrer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another career field to look at would be in the medical as well. I am just throwing it out there since my wife is in it. When i say medical field, i dont mean like a pharmacist or doctor...im talking about nursing or radioligy techs....something with a license behind it. LVN's start pretty good and RN's make good money and generally work 3 days a week. The best thing is that there is a tremdous shortage of medical staff all over so theres always oppurtunity. If you go that route, get the degree just to back yourself up when it comes time to get into administration or management. That goes for any field and job.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will put my input in later this evening.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by needtransam
WOW, now that I read some of you guys(not sure if some girls here ) posts I can conclude that it might be easier than I thought, I mean why take so much pressure to do something right?
Lol...thanks for being considerate, I AM a girl!

Good luck with everything!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99whitez28
Well if you like computers and things like that, then i just depends how far you are willing to go. Shoot just get your MSCE or the newer one (systems admin)and i promise you will make good money. If you like networking, get anything in Cisco and they make good money too. Thing about Computers(computer information systems), its always going to advance just like anything else. In that industry there is so many ways to go its not even funny....there is database jobs, web development, sys admins, networking, programming. I do IT because I find it easy.
Don't forget about security... Some admins are fools....

And I am not saying you are fool, before you get pissed.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
Don't forget about security... Some admins are fools....

And I am not saying you are fool, before you get pissed.
oooo helllll no.......JK yea i forgot about that side of things duh. Thats one of the biggest parts of IT now. Great field...maybe one day i will have my CISSP....
Old 01-24-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99whitez28
oooo helllll no.......JK yea i forgot about that side of things duh. Thats one of the biggest parts of IT now. Great field...maybe one day i will have my CISSP....
Yea that test is no joke. It takes about 6 hours to take. I have been through 2 boot camps and I still don't have the guts to take it.

I know peeps that have the CISSP in SA and make $100K and up.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Yes very true... its a crazy test but one you have it....money money!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

If you stick with engineering, I will admit, it's no easy road. I remember many a night staying up till 1-2am working on stuff. My senior year I took an internship and was waking up at 4:30am, driving an hour, working 7 hours, driving an hour back to campus, and taking 2-3 classes a night. How I did it, looking back, I have no clue. I was averaging 4-5 hours of sleep a night and busting my tail.

You will have to put in the time in engineering. Having roommates that are non-engineering is hard since you will see them relaxing and having fun while you hit the books. However, having a job that is decent pay and has weekends off is nice! My old roommate now works every weekend and doesn't have the benefits I do.

You will always make sacrafices, but you have to ask yourself - do you want to do that now, or later?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

If your into computers, cyber-security is where there's a big need and $$! Industrial espionage is real and companies will pay to prevent it. If you don't like college, try getting your training and experience from the military.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Get a job and keep it, no matter how much you hate it. Keep looking up. Not sideways, not backwards, not down. Up, till you find a better position or better job offer. You will always have and make money this way. School is still tops for making the most money. Do it(school) before you get married or have kids and it is 10 times easier. I'm one of many dumb asses that did this in reverse. Back on track now but, it ain't easy.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
A&P mechanic.....
GA wise? Not here in Florida.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
GA wise? Not here in Florida.
Not sure I follow? But I've had a pretty long day so my thinker isn't clicking on normal..

And for the ones who don't know what A&P is, in short it's an Aircraft Mechanic, I work for one of the major airlines, started off on the ramp and just bull shitting with the mechanics here and there and just watched what they do and decided to go for my A&P license..so that's what I'm doing while I'm still fairly young, unmarried and no kids...
Old 01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is a&p like what type of work is it?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Best advice I ever heard:

Don't get high on your own supply.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Engineering.

Find something you love doing, learn to do it to the best of your ability, and the money will eventually follow. Nothing is an overnight success. It took having my nose to the grindstone for over 10 years (into my 30s) after school to finally get into the higher salaries. You must be willing to do whatever it takes, even sweep the floors, to work your way up.

Nothing irritates me more than fresh out of college punks who think they're entitled to six figure incomes. That degree is not a salary guarantee. Hard work, dedication, and consistent demonstration of skills is what gets you there. The degree just opens the door.

Best of luck.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Part-time govt employee, using my GI Bill to finish school (BA-Economics), beautiful wife, three kids, living paycheck to paycheck and couldn't be happier

My wife just got a BS in Nursing from one of the top schools in the country and has several 6-figure offers waiting but she'd rather stay at home with our newborn son. Im fine with that - its all about what makes YOU happy
Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"Live well" and "successful" are both open to interpretation.
Ya, you can make good $ in the oilfield, but they tend to work a lot of hours to make that money too. Money is nice, but the older I get its more time away from work to enjoy life that I want.
Work is a large portion of your life. Find something you enjoy and then find a way to make money doing it.

Also keep in mind that some people that have a lot of toys are deeply in debt. I remember working with guys that had to have X amount of OT to pay for all of their toys. No matter how much you make you're always better off living within your means.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by needtransam
What is a&p like what type of work is it?
Working on these:
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VinR1
Part-time govt employee, using my GI Bill to finish school (BA-Economics), beautiful wife, three kids, living paycheck to paycheck and couldn't be happier

My wife just got a BS in Nursing from one of the top schools in the country and has several 6-figure offers waiting but she'd rather stay at home with our newborn son. Im fine with that - its all about what makes YOU happy
What school did she go to? Just wondering
Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice nice suggestions keep them coming

Quick Reply: Successful Carrer?