Successful Carrer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this thread is still going I am going to list a couple jobs you can get and make great money without a degree.

1. Drug dealer - Some of the richest men in the world are drug dealers

2. Mercenary

3. Politician

Yeah I know they are all somewhat related but they pay good.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Doctor (Neurologist) here, perhaps the only one here in LS1TECH. Not many doctors prefer an f-body to a BMW!

After all the sacrifices made to reach my degree I decided that I wanted a peaceful life where I could spend the most time with my family. That decision has been the best Ive ever made despite the fact that in doing so I earn less money. I decided to stay away from hospitasl and have dedicated only to outpatient and ambulatory Adult Neurology. Just like everyone else there are times when Ive struggled though. The way the economy is people go less to the doctor, a fact Ive learned to live with in the practice I chose.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its true and support the fact that money isn't everything but at least have good money for a while save up and don't worry about it later
Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965GP
On thing I am curious about since we have a few engineers on here- I call on a lot of engineers and have heard more than once in the industry that you do start out with a high salary but it is a very gradual increase after that unless you become a principle to the firm. Any comments? I was just curious if this was true or not and obviously there will be exceptions to the rule.
The engineering degree just gets you an interview. What you do with it, and which career path you take determines the salary and how quickly it can rise. Specialize in something very small in scope, and that experience may not be worth some other company later. Or, it could be worth millions if you are the best of the best and it is something high in demand. With any job, income is related to supply and demand. There is a huge shortage of engineers worldwide, not just in the states. If you are willing to relocate overseas, you'll make huge bucks with 5-10 yrs experience.

The best pay is obviously offshore oil/gas industry. You can do research on that at www.RigZone.com - feel free to browse the salary offers there.

What career paths pay the best for engineers? Project Management and Engineering Sales. If you get into Analysis/Design, get ready to hit that glass ceiling in about 5-10 yrs, and hover at the $100-120K range until your dept. manager quits or dies. Then you might clear $140K. Project Managers in this industry with 10+ yrs experience are making base salaries in the $145-200K range. Some of us even get overtime or offshore pay, too.

Tony
Old 01-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for clarifying- I deal with a lot of designers which pretty much falls in line with what you said- you hit the ceiling early but still a good career.

As with anything there are always exceptions. The best at any job will make a comfortable living.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
To me it's all about sacrifices and not being lazy. Don't make excuses for anything, just get **** done.
x2^^^^^

Too many people out there making excuses these days....
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ER Nurse here.

Do what you love FIRST and FOREMOST, not just what everyone expects of you. I wasted money on a Bachelor's degree that I will never use (accounting) until I found a career that I absolutely love (nursing)

Last edited by obseSSed; 01-30-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
Part-time govt employee, using my GI Bill to finish school (BA-Economics), beautiful wife, three kids, living paycheck to paycheck and couldn't be happier

My wife just got a BS in Nursing from one of the top schools in the country and has several 6-figure offers waiting but she'd rather stay at home with our newborn son. Im fine with that - its all about what makes YOU happy
6 figures for a brand new nurse? Where is she applying? If you're in central texas, sounds like she graduated from UMHB... and NO ONE offers 6 figures for a UMHB graduate (or a brand new nurse, in general)... ask me how I know..
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

never said she was 'brand new'...
Old 05-23-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just reviving this thread update first post

Well seems I need to really focus on getting a career, just finished my AA in Business and seems like just yesterday I posted this thread WOW lol
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Prepare for rough job hunting OP.
I graduated last may with a BA, lost my good job got without the degree, joined the guard and had steady income in training....now back home and struggling again.

Hard work has its place.....im no stranger to it that's for sure. But has it all "paid off"? Not at all. Ill never waste anymore time and money in school
Old 05-24-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dreww
Prepare for rough job hunting OP.
I graduated last may with a BA, lost my good job got without the degree, joined the guard and had steady income in training....now back home and struggling again.

Hard work has its place.....im no stranger to it that's for sure. But has it all "paid off"? Not at all. Ill never waste anymore time and money in school
Bachelor of Arts in what?......

My BS netted me multiple job offers out of school. Different strokes.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there are a lot of successful oil/gas guys here (including my wife) but don't discount other industries. My industry (commercial Plumbing is running short on qualified guys and strong candidates are in demand

I work west coast so I don't really have a dog in the hunt for Houston but could point someone in the right direction. Just do your research.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

business is an excellent major to choose. only problem is, everyone and their dog is a business major. you'll need to find a way to separate yourself from the others to succeed with this type of degree. that, or start your own business.

if you plan on furthering your education with a bachelors, there are many majors out there that can guide you to a successful career. it just depends on what you want and the demands of the economy. it is very true that some majors pay off better than others, but if you're doing what you enjoy, who cares. you don't have to be some unimaginative dork with a bs in math or engineering to be successful. my grandfather, for example, came within one promotion of being a vice president at bell helicopter before he retired early. he did this with a degree in political science from a small liberal arts college in indiana. just remember, do what you enjoy, do it well, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Start here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gradua...155915692.html

And here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-thin...165905813.html

Quick Reply: Successful Carrer?