Why roll race?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, lots of people have limited funds. It takes at least around 2-3k+ to make a *bolt-on* F-body be able to actually safely use it's power and hook from a dig consistently(Rear end, sticky tires, minor suspension). That 3k makes your car slower in every other situation(Heavier rearend/tires, drag suspension bad for cornering). You put all that money in the car, and you'll have a much better track time, but then you'll be slower than a stock car on the street.

Would much rather use that money to do a H/C/I set up, and have a much more fun ride. It's really all a matter of opinion though, but I think even the people who make good money really just hate putting the stress of a launch on their vehicles, and breaking **** all the time.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by OHH RLY?
Roll racing = safer.
How is that?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

I prefer the track myself. I think Roll racing kinda sucks personally. My car makes plenty of power to drag some peoples *** from a roll but I prefer that neck snapping 60ft from a dig at the track.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Launching!

The bad news is that whatever is built is quickly humbled by a UGR car.
A UGR Gallardo is a perfect example of why people want to punch it from 60. At the drag strip they have to baby it since the drive train isn't up to handling that much power from a stop. So you end up with mid 9s @ 155+ mph from a 1200+ whp car. There's guys out there that can launch these cars hard and not shatter a rear end / trans like the 8s Supra 6spd guys but they're few and far between. Even then they're rolling on the dice on causing $10k+ in damage. Just replacing a shattered rear end in a 'vette is expensive enough I can't imagine what an exotic costs.

I still prefer the old school drag race.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because racecar.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Teching In

DIG FTW.... Bring your shovel
Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S1LV3R
One could also say racing from a dig is a band aid for a car that doesn't have enough power to beat some one once they're moving too. A well set up car with less power can own a more powerful car that's not optimized to race from a stop. To each his own.
Good point.......thats usually why I prefer to run from a dig......my car used to not have nearly as many mods as others.....BUT I could usually roll it out and make them play catch up........

For the 6spd guys especially, it just takes more skill and precision to get through the first 60'......just makes it more of a challenge......I like having to fight through the launch and track conditions.......breaking **** is part of racing, always has been....

Last edited by LCTA; 02-24-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've spent a lot of money on suspension and invested a lot of time on chassis tuning to be able to drag race from a dig. Personally i think there's no other way then from a dig. Thats real drag racing. My .02
Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

One thing I don't agree is when the title " king " is thrown to someone who mostly races from a roll. I think someone who can run from a dig because he has his suspension built as good as his motor and has a motor to keep leaving you behind should be called "king of streets" . Roll race should be maybe " king of freeways " ? Lol. Due to the post on here I think everyone will agree on this.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
That video you posted shows the typical moronic ricer who shouldn't be running their 100whp cars in the first place. I'm not sure what you posted that for. Sure there is risks involved with racing on the street, but there is risks involved with everything.
The video obviously shows what can happen when street racing. It has nothing to do with ricers. Even when racing from a roll, you can end up crashing into somebody from behind. So why not post a video showing what can happen? I guess its ok when a 1000hp car gets slammed into when getting ready to street race, but thats ok at least he had something worth racing.

You make no sense
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The question is, how does it hurt the dig racers feeling, that can beat a manual trans car from a dig, but if given the hit on a roll, the manual trans car comes around them, then what? Does that not count? Is credit not there for the car that roll runs better than dig on the street due to drive train shock?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Roll racing = safer.
How?

Even at the Texas mile there have been a few cars losing it at the top end. Granted I know the wind factor is there but what if for some reason these cars lose it on the freeway? Either way all racing has it's pro's and con's.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't "roll" through the staging lanes and punch it when you pass the tree. Enough ******* said, roll racing is retarded....

Anyone who says they get the same rush from a roll as a dig is FOS
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love both but on the street we just stick to rolls, as someone said its not as loud, no burnouts etc, 3 honks roll and your done, a well built car can do both but we save the digs for the track
Old 02-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

I propose a third type of racing, sure, racing from a dig or from a roll have there place but do not properly test the performance of the driver. I say the drivers start from 30 yards out, run to the car, and then at that point they can start from a roll or dig. The choice is theirs. It levels the playing field and is the answer to the age old question: Roll or Dig?

This thread can now be locked.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gregrob
You don't "roll" through the staging lanes and punch it when you pass the tree. Enough ******* said, roll racing is retarded....

Anyone who says they get the same rush from a roll as a dig is FOS
Such a one track mind. "MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY BRO". I can see why you like drag racing so much "Ok.. I hit gas now.. go straight in line? k I do I can do", they even have walls so you have to stay in the lines, kinda like coloring. I know you like coloring.

By the way, I am in no way trying to talk down on drag racing.. I think both versions of their merits.. just hate hearing people say something sucks because they like something else more.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Daez
Such a one track mind. "MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY BRO". I can see why you like drag racing so much "Ok.. I hit gas now.. go straight in line? k I do I can do", they even have walls so you have to stay in the lines, kinda like coloring. I know you like coloring.

By the way, I am in no way trying to talk down on drag racing.. I think both versions of their merits.. just hate hearing people say something sucks because they like something else more.
+1

My car is built, I'll go from a roll or dig --- but I prefer a roll, because I feel it is less stress / less damaging on the drivetrain. I also think that roll racing is a more accurate measurement of who's car is faster. Racing from a dig is more efficient at measuring who is the better driver.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When has roll racing ever been a legitimate automotive sport?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

The thrill I got from roll racing(I don't even do that anymore) was the randomness. At the track you already see everyones numbers and know basically what they are running. On the street you have no idea what is pulling up next to you, that's a bit exciting to me.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is FOS?

Quick Reply: Why roll race?