DIY Ipod Touch, digitizer and LCD replacement, anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Default DIY Ipod Touch, digitizer and LCD replacement, anyone done this?

My son broke his Ipod Touch 4G glass and LCD display. I have been trying to find out how much it would cost to replace them.

Anyone know how much apple charges? They are asking me the serial number but I don't know it right now.

While searching I came across DIY kits that include, glass, LCD, installation tools, and instructions. I am concerned about voiding the warranty if there is one that is even worth a crap. Anyone know more about this stuff?

I am fully comfortable doing this but I don't want to open a can of worms if it needs other servicing or warranty services in the future.

Youtube DIY tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...FRTY4CCA#t=2sf

Parts and instructions, looks like quality parts
http://www.icracked.com/do-it-yourse...-4g-white.html

Parts, no instructions, not sure of quality
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-LCD-Sc...item3f1431ae2d

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-16-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can do it, very easy.

I use to fix these things all the time. Digitizers run about $7-15 and LCD's range from $25 & up.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've fixed one before, but it's a bitch to pry off the old digitizer/rubber seal without bending the aluminum around it. I'm sure it gets easier the more you do.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike96z
I can do it, very easy.

I use to fix these things all the time. Digitizers run about $7-15 and LCD's range from $25 & up.
Does it void apple warranty? Is the apple warranty even worth worrying about?

I may take you up on that, I have something you want as well.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

I believe apple charges $90 to fix a broken screen. My brother had to get his daughters fixed ( it was engraved otherwise he would of just bought new one)

I have taken apart nanos and classics, haven't done touches yet but they can't be as bad as the nanos.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does void the warranty as you break the sticker inside on the screw. You just have to take into account what you have the warranty for, how much longer is your warrant good for and personally I don't really worry about warranty stuff on phones/ipods as it really only covers if you brick it or some type of defect.

I have a heat gun, makes taking that piece off much easier.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28clark
I believe apple charges $90 to fix a broken screen. My brother had to get his daughters fixed ( it was engraved otherwise he would of just bought new one)

I have taken apart nanos and classics, haven't done touches yet but they can't be as bad as the nanos.
There are two parts though, a digitizer and a lcd. Not sure that $90 covers both.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28clark

I would just replace it but it's a 4th gen 8gig touch and they are $190 new. I may just take it to apple if it's $90. I don't want to void the warranty.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

There are two parts though, a digitizer and a lcd. Not sure that $90 covers both.
From what I have read, on the Touch, the digitizer and lcd are supposed to be one piece. One of the things I heard was "beware of digitizer's and lcd's sold seperately as they are knock offs and should be one piece"

If it is within 20-30 dollars doing it myself vs taking it to apple I will just take it to apple.

But they couldn't quote me over the phone, they wanted me to make an appointment to come in. I don't want to go all the way down there and find out it will be as much to fix as it is to replace.

So $90 or so dollars is fair enough.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the warranties are useless really, just my personal opinion.

You get it wet, you pay. You break it, you pay. They won't brick unless you try to jailbreak it and do it wrong, otherwise they are pretty solid. How long is your warranty good for?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I think the warranties are useless really, just my personal opinion.

You get it wet, you pay. You break it, you pay. They won't brick unless you try to jailbreak it and do it wrong, otherwise they are pretty solid. How long is your warranty good for?
I do for the most part feel that way about warranties too. I haven't seen and Ipod/Iphone break yet that wasn't broken by the user. But on the flip side, there was a recall on my 1st gen 2 gig nano and I sent it in and recieved a brand new 8 gig 6th generation nano. Probably wouldn't have been honored if I repaired it myself so I am on the fence about doing it.

I don't know the details of the paper work because between my mother having at some point then my son its probably in never never land now. It was purchased brand new in late November 2011.

If I do, do it, where would I get parts from locally? Quality parts.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-16-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
From what I have read, on the Touch, the digitizer and lcd are supposed to be one piece. One of the things I heard was "beware of digitizer's and lcd's sold seperately as they are knock offs and should be one piece"

If it is within 20-30 dollars doing it myself vs taking it to apple I will just take it to apple.

But they couldn't quote me over the phone, they wanted me to make an appointment to come in. I don't want to go all the way down there and find out it will be as much to fix as it is to replace.

So $90 or so dollars is fair enough.
I think what you heard was beware of buying the "glass" separate as there is no way to separate the glass and the digitizer but the lcd and digitizer are surely separate.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

eBay has some nice parts, just be sure they are from a US seller. You need a digitizer and if you broke the actual screen you need an lcd too.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

$12+ a piece

Digitizer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-touch-4...ht_7725wt_1258

LCD:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Screen-R...ht_2645wt_1022

If you didn't bust the LCD, don't replace it.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only way to get local parts is find a repair shop or something that will sell to you. I've done this before but you will pay nearly double eBay prices. Probably $25 ea.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

$12+ a piece

Digitizer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-touch-4...ht_7725wt_1258

LCD:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Screen-R...ht_2645wt_1022

If you didn't bust the LCD, don't replace it.
I don't see how those parts can be of any possible quality with that low of a price is my main concern. The seller for the digitizer had some bad feed back about their digitizer's also.

So i'm still on the fence about it... For years I have watched people put the cheapest parts they can find on the planet on their cars, and then end up spending so much more to fix it right if it had been done right the first time.

Do you have any experience with those parts to where you could vouch for the quality?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've always used eBay parts from US sellers and they have always been great quality. Honk Kong parts are pieces of crap though. Just about all of the US sellers get their parts from the same company and if you look for the sellers in California they get them directly from Apple who of course has them made in China lol. I've always bought from eBay US sellers for phone parts and never had one issue as far as quality. The parts really aren't that expensive for iPhone's/iPod's. Other phone parts are more expensive but with so many iPhone's/iPod's around and they use pretty much the same parts, that drives the prices down to dirt cheap.

As far as car parts go, I think that's different, you pretty much get what you pay for. Phone's are a little different, they are all really just cheap electronic parts made to look good.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I searched through a few listings and the links I sent are the ones I would have purchased if it were me fixing my iPod.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I searched through a few listings and the links I sent are the ones I would have purchased if it were me fixing my iPod.
That view point helps a lot. Thanks. If I do fix it myself I will go that route.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Going to take it to apple, I will save money doing it myself but I want to retain any warranties. It's only 6 months old, later down the road I may fix it myself if it happens again.

And I am actually making my 13 year old son pay for it, we bought this for him in November and with the protective case it was right around $350. His birthday was a week and a half ago and he collectively got almost $300 from multiple family members ($140 from me ). He was being very irresponsible with it when he broke it and has done multiple bone head things with it before that shockingly did not break it. So it's time to learn a lesson and I don't want him getting out the easy way. So all things considered, off to apple it goes.