calling all oil rig workers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're very misinformed. I hear ya but no, I made 170 my first year as a level 2 DD. no where near what I'm making now. Also sperry(you) have the best equipment in the patch and some of the highest paid salary DD's( not contract like me) I know because my buddies work for yall. There are many guys who went to consulting without being a superintendent. Most co men already know what to do or have excellent directional hands like myself to help. They don't need to ask the big bosses. Mine just texts his boss and fixes whatever problem. Ive only been doing this for the last decade+. Where we're u 11 years ago? I'm 3rd generation as well and from midland Texas where EVERYONE is in the oil field, my friends and their dads brothers uncles cousins are all in it some way some how. You can't get anywhere being a cementer unless you have your suction in the right pit. Trust me they want experience. You don't just cement every day on the rig. To the OP just start on a rig and learn anything anyone is willing to teach you and don't be scared to get dirty and put out. You will move up and make a great living doing so. You've read about my background and credentials so take it for what you will
Old 05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by A-Dub
Oceaneering has many Sat vessels. Try and get on as an LST, then look into ROVs while you are there.
Ya I had called a couple weeks ago about some sat work but without a major storm in a while they are pinching pennies on me lol
Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by derrickman05
You're very misinformed. I hear ya but no, I made 170 my first year as a level 2 DD. no where near what I'm making now. Also sperry(you) have the best equipment in the patch and some of the highest paid salary DD's( not contract like me) I know because my buddies work for yall. There are many guys who went to consulting without being a superintendent. Most co men already know what to do or have excellent directional hands like myself to help. They don't need to ask the big bosses. Mine just texts his boss and fixes whatever problem. Ive only been doing this for the last decade+. Where we're u 11 years ago? I'm 3rd generation as well and from midland Texas where EVERYONE is in the oil field, my friends and their dads brothers uncles cousins are all in it some way some how. You can't get anywhere being a cementer unless you have your suction in the right pit. Trust me they want experience. You don't just cement every day on the rig. To the OP just start on a rig and learn anything anyone is willing to teach you and don't be scared to get dirty and put out. You will move up and make a great living doing so. You've read about my background and credentials so take it for what you will

Your right you don't "cement" casing everyday, but....the schooling required for cementing or being a cementing engineer, has to do with well design. We are taught in cmt school well dynamics, which is more then a lot of regular drillers know... Hydro-dynamic's is what its all about, and once you have cemented for a few years, a lot of people go into tools, some have become engineers "for cement" etc. Your muds, and trying to manage frac gradients etc, are done by cement and mud engineers for halliburton. some of our Mud guys, were also cementers.... Hell, for cement school we had to learn about fracking....which is only vaugley even related to our job...

As a DD you, im sure, have some knowledge of Hydro-Dynamics of a well. Halliburtons "Red-Book" is a high sought after commodity among co men. I have yet to find a Co-Man without both a "red book" and a "blue book"..... Our redbook was designed orginally by a cement hand....

On a side note, I wish this rig would hurry up and finish drililng and run this 13 3/8th casing so I can pump my **** and get outa here....

A little oilfield math for anyone interested.

To figure your differantial pressure "PSI" thake the height of the fluid in the pipe multiply that by the weight of the fluid *Pounds per Gallon* then multiply that by .05195. That will get you the hydrostatic pressure inside. for multiple fluids and weights, take each seperate then add them together.

Then, you do the same thing for the fluids on the outside of your casing. Subtract the 2, and now you have your differential pressure.

To figure critical circulating pressure, you take the ID "inside diameter" of your casing/drillpipe, "On this job its 12.715 Inches" and square it "12.715x12.715" x .7854 to find the area. which = 126.97

then you take your weight of pipe per foot, "still gona use this job as an example since i already figured it" which is 48# multiply by the length of pipe "317.36'" and then multiply by the boyuncy factor for "in this case pipe in water" which is .8727.

take that resulting number divide it by your previous number "126.97" and the number you get is the Critical Circulating Pressure, or the PSI it would take to pump your pipe out of the hole......

in this case its only like 82 PSI....

Sorry if I messsed up in my explanation but here's my free piece of advice.

I'll save my displacment volumes lesson for another time to figure out total volume in the pipe and in the annulus....

See, even though I am a Cementer, for those that have never done it, you wouldn't realize we know more then just how to pump cement into a hole...

Everday, every job I have about 100 calculations to do, it gets real fun on multiple deviation liner hanger jobs especially when we are running nitrofied cement and nitrofied mud.... "Aka Zone Seal Liners"

I'm not misinformed my friend, I just find it slightly hard to believe your making as much as a company man unless your one bad *** mother F'er..... jussayin...

Since your on tech, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it....So by default im calling you one bad *** mother F'er...

Last edited by baalic; 05-25-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so i think i fixed all my numbers on my lesson...i am the fail at teaching.. lol
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

I am but that's another story. Yes those are the same formulas you learn in well control school. I believe very heavily in the red book, even have the free red book app on my I-phone. Use it all the time. As for the pay, please call crescent directional in Houston tx and ask for a directional coordinator and tell them you have 6 yrs of dd experience and you want to go contract. Bet they tell you 1400/40 like I said earlier.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Launching!

from what ive heard, our company is doing away with directional drillers some time in the future and just teaching the drillers to do it..
ive been on a land rig in texas for 2 years and am about to get my derricks job.
this is a great time to get on. we are bringing out 3-4 brand new rigs every month. hiring any idiot that applies. lol
18 an hour seems low, i thought i worked for one of the cheaper companys but we start floors at 21.50 now.
there are easy weeks and there are hard weeks, but once you figure it all out. its all pretty simple.
good luck man
Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

If your willing to work out of Oklahoma and dont have a DUI i know a good company only starts at 15 but your get a company credit card and a brand new four door dodge
Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn almost haha
Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by derrickman05
Man that's the downfall and why they pay the big bucks. It was cool when I was single but now I'm married with kids. I'm only in it till the house is paid off and I've got some cushion money. Then I might go do something low stress with a rotation like bit salesman or anything that'll have me home at night.

Yeah, Im finishing up my classes here in Houston for my flow back, job. I'll be flowing for a month straight when I get back home on Tuesday, I'm really excited about the money, but I'm not looking forward to the drama that follows from my girlfriend. The jobs that you get to be home every night, normally don't start off very good in my experience, so yeah you'll probably mead a little extra money to help keep up your lifestyle until you get established, unless you can just sell the **** out of some bits lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Whoevers looking to get breakout in the patch right now better be ready to be humbled and be ready to have a lot of competition. The above guys are making bank but they've climbed the ladder. You have to crawl before you run and in the patch the worm does the laundry, fills the water jugs does the scrubbing and goes in the return pit to pull the drain.

I'm a service man for an ESP company, I work 4 hrs in the morning then I sit my truck till the floor hands and bander get the pump to bottom. Then I pack off a well head, kick on the power and wait for fluid to surface. It's usually as easy as it sounds. I gross over 100k a year and I'm home every night and have every other weekend off. But I have 6 years in the industry and had to do a lot of bitch work to get here, luckily there's still a lot of ceiling above me!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of options, don't be scared to ask around and dig a little. I just got hired on with CDM starting at 17 an hour, with time and a half and double time after so many hours. I'll get a company truck and gas card but I'll also be working out of Louisiana. I just don't want to be away from everyone but it's time for a real job.

It also helps to know people, thats how I got in.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

crane companies are also a good option, 15 to 18 dollars an hour starting out. but a **** load of hours and plenty of room for advancement!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Penguin u going to.give me the site.to apply or.what?!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also as someone mentioned, if your a single guy, FLOWBACK is like a KILLER job for a single guy. Get you a little bumper pull trailer, and sit around playing video games all friggen day getting paid for it, and getting an allowance for your trailer and internet etc......

If I was a single dude, that's probably what I would do....
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Cool

Originally Posted by baalic
Also as someone mentioned, if your a single guy, FLOWBACK is like a KILLER job for a single guy. Get you a little bumper pull trailer, and sit around playing video games all friggen day getting paid for it, and getting an allowance for your trailer and internet etc......

If I was a single dude, that's probably what I would do....

True, and some companies will even let you use their trailer and truck which means all of your check goes to you instead of having to pay some work expenses. Flowback is an amazing job and pretty easy to get into, cause everyone is quitting so they don't have I go through a divorce lol. But yeah Ive worked in just about every part of the patch and I'm pretty sure flow back is going to be my favorite, I fly out tomorrow to get qualified in Houston.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Damn I need to go into field work lol. I am the guy who designs this **** on 3D programs and sit in an office all day. **** making over $500 a day? Thats a nice piece of change.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

Right now im just hauling saltwater in fort worth and making $17.50 hr about 60 hours a week.
Ive got a buddy who works for Pathfinder energy as a DD and hes making $1300 a day plus $60 per diem. Theres a ton of money out there but you gotta want it and go get it.

Quick Reply: calling all oil rig workers