Stumbling above half-throttle...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stumbling above half-throttle...

Hoping you guy's can help me out with this one...

Drove it to get lunch earlier, with no issues at all. Left parking lot and felt like I was in too high a gear (3rd instead of 1st). I checked and I was in 1st, put it in 2nd and same thing, bogging out. Felt like I was running out of gas, but I just filled up the other day. Roughly 70 miles on this tank (30 or so at the time of these first symptoms). I managed to baby it onto the highway and after getting it up to speed, no issues at all. We were trying to catch a movie but we had time to kill so we stopped at the mall.
I noticed on the way it handled fine unless I went above half throttle. At first I thought it was a certain RPM range, but if I needed to accelerate fast, I had to downshift and lightly touch the pedal to do so. Otherwise the car would bog and stumble.
Got to mall, and I used my scanner to check for codes. Same P0138 (IIRC) that I've had forever. Deleted it, no other codes.
Checked oil level and noticed I was low, so went to Walmart and threw in 3 quarts of their cheapo oil. (I'm almost due for an oil change and didn't want to waste the good/expensive stuff).
Started it up to check oil level and car had a noticeable miss. It'd be idling okay but every now and then it'd jump/stumble/miss. Leaving Walmart was much harder to do, because if I gave it too much gas it felt like it would die, if I wasn't careful with the clutch it felt like it'd stall. Stop and go traffic was a PITA, but after getting on the highway I had no problems at all as long as I kept it below half throttle.
Still no codes. It feels like when my coil-pack(s) went bad a couple years ago, but I don't remember if I was throwing a code then, but I'd assume I'd be getting a misfire code of some sort.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY similar to the problem that mane started having yesterday. Mine drives totally fine unless I give it more than 50 or so percent throttle and when it gets to about 3k rpms the problem occurs. Mine doesn't sound quite as bad as yours though.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foam27
VERY similar to the problem that mane started having yesterday. Mine drives totally fine unless I give it more than 50 or so percent throttle and when it gets to about 3k rpms the problem occurs. Mine doesn't sound quite as bad as yours though.
Like I said, I thought it was RPM based, because in 5th anything above 2k RPMs seems to cause the bogging. However, I can drop it to 4th, and accelerate (slowly-half throttle) up to 3-4k RPMs with no trouble. It seems to just be related to how much pressure I put on the pedal.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Very weird. I was thinking maybe a coil, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter.. I'm not showing a c.e.l.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I was thinking too. Also thinking maybe ICM or fuel pump. But I'm really hoping not the pump. Plus I wasn't sure if the pump has a "dying" stage or if it fails, it's just done.
Suck not having a code to start somewhere though...
Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Teching In

I had this exact problem with my truck - hesitation at more than 1/2 or so throttle, but could go all the way to redline in each gear without issue as long as throttle was not open very much.

It turned out to be a bad coil pack, even though they all checked out fine resistance wise and I never got a code. Luckily the truck had all 6 in one unit so I didn't have to trial and error them like you will probably have to do. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Also check your grounds....
Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrm1493
I had this exact problem with my truck - hesitation at more than 1/2 or so throttle, but could go all the way to redline in each gear without issue as long as throttle was not open very much.

It turned out to be a bad coil pack, even though they all checked out fine resistance wise and I never got a code. Luckily the truck had all 6 in one unit so I didn't have to trial and error them like you will probably have to do. Good luck.
Hmm. Yea my dad was telling me the same thing. He had a similar problem with his t/a. I just got a new fuel filter and some seafoam at autozone. So I'm gonna throw the new filter on tomorrow morning and then add seafoam once I'm at a half tank (I just filled up this morning) My dad had also told me that there is a way to test each individual coil so I will look into that before replacing them one by one at $45 a piece.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dave_the_SS
Also check your grounds....
Stupid questions. But which grounds specifically.. Sorry I'm a somewhat noob.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you smell gas ?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foam27
Hmm. Yea my dad was telling me the same thing. He had a similar problem with his t/a. I just got a new fuel filter and some seafoam at autozone. So I'm gonna throw the new filter on tomorrow morning and then add seafoam once I'm at a half tank (I just filled up this morning) My dad had also told me that there is a way to test each individual coil so I will look into that before replacing them one by one at $45 a piece.
Yeah, I'm going to get a fuel filter in the morning. I was thinking maybe buy one coil pack and swap it out for one, go for a test drive, if no change, put old one back and move the new one to the next slot, and continue that until there's a change.
Originally Posted by jaysan
Do you smell gas ?
No more than usual. No cat and leaky exhaust means smelly exhaust. haha.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
I was thinking maybe buy one coil pack and swap it out for one, go for a test drive, if no change, put old one back and move the new one to the next slot, and continue that until there's a change.
That's what i would do. It will be annoying but hopefully you get it in one of the first tries.

If you have a logger (HP tuners or something) you could drive around and see if you are getting any misfires at all when driving. It won't throw a code until it goes over a certain limit but it still might be seeing them just not enough to throw a code. I couldn't do that when this happened to my truck because it is a Ford but it would have been a great help (I ended up changing a bunch of stuff I didn't need to - wires, plugs, MAF, fuel filter - because the coil pack resistances were all perfect).

Last edited by jrm1493; 07-04-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Well I changed the fuel filter this morning with no luck. But hey ay least I have a new fuel filter on there now. Im going to give the coil swap one by one idea this weekend
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like a clogged EGR valve. does it sound like a sputter or a total miss?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by svg210
sounds like a clogged EGR valve. does it sound like a sputter or a total miss?
More of a sputter.
I'm about to baby-it to Autozone down the street and see what parts I can pick up. Don't have much cash so this is gonna be tricky, lol. Gotta try and fix the problem with as few tries as possible.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Why don't u just ask Jesus to come over and data log your car he has hptuners. And data logging doesn't cost any credits
Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave_the_SS
Why don't u just ask Jesus to come over and data log your car he has hptuners. And data logging doesn't cost any credits
I'm not sure if you're suggesting I pray, or if there's a guy here named Jesus who has HPTuners.

Either way, I'm not sure how to get in contact with either...
Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Zamora51 I think his name is. He always post in the Sam Antonio thread.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why dont u log it? ur o2s are probably fucked
Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet. Got a code. P0303- cylinder 3 misfire.

Quick Reply: Stumbling above half-throttle...