Exhaust Laws..Turbo Cars come in

Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Laws..Turbo Cars come in

Hey guys, I have searched for a while and cannot find out how yall are getting away with exhaust systems without any muffler. How are yall guys passing inspection with no muffler and also downpipes that do not go all the way back??

I am to the point to where I am doing my exhaust setup and honestly if I could get away with it I would prefer going out the side bumper or mid chassis running 3.5inch.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texhotrod593
Hey guys, I have searched for a while and cannot find out how yall are getting away with exhaust systems without any muffler. How are yall guys passing inspection with no muffler and also downpipes that do not go all the way back??

I am to the point to where I am doing my exhaust setup and honestly if I could get away with it I would prefer going out the side bumper or mid chassis running 3.5inch.
You could take it to a seedy shop on the wrong side of town where they slap stickers on for an extra 20$...

But, I hear SRT-4s came from the factory without a muffler.
EDIT: OEM SRT-4 exhaust on right, aftermarket side exit on left.

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 04-09-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Most people "know a guy". Cut and dry.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

well I just dont think I "know a guy". I guess I better get busy finding one. Does anyone know someone to enjoy my car around the east texas area? maybe a PM?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time you just go get it inspected and if it doesnt pass move on down the road and youll find one that will.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ This. Try the small guys who don't get as much business first.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tried that one time and when I went to a place and he found I didnt have any cats they "red flagged" me. They said it keeps me in the system showing why i failed and keeps me from just going down the road. I had to install my old y-pipe to get it inspected then switch when I got home
Old 04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a guy that could care less. lol He just wants his money.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

if I lived close to baytown I would be all over it! lol I live in Tyler in the northeast texas
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Teching In

I called STS about their turbos a while back when I had my corvette and never got a straight answer. In their system the turbo takes the place of the muffler. I called round the Texas DPS offices and got a bunch of BS answers as well. That is why I never bought from STS. Good luck with your search.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Nowhere does it say that you have to have a muffler on a vehicle. It just has to meet a decibel level. I do my own inspections so its not a problem.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Nowhere does it say that you have to have a muffler on a vehicle. It just has to meet a decibel level. I do my own inspections so its not a problem.
Actually it does say a vehicle has to have a muffler and it has to maintain a proper decibal level. The muffler has to be like new with no holes or even patched holes. If it does it has to be replaced with a new one. It also can not be bypassed. However there is not a specific decibal level to maintain. It just says something to the tune of "a proper level that is expected on a normal vehicle" or something like that. When I get home I will look it up again in my computer and post it. All in all sounds like I need a "friend" to help pass
Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

IIRC exhaust "must exit rear of cabin"

hence why trucks can legally have dumped exhaust under the bed.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise."

Its saying either one of those constitutes as a muffler. A turbo is consider a noise suppression device in the State of Texas. It's 100% legal to drive a Gas or Diesel-motor vehicle without a muffler, if it is turbo equipped and is emission compliant.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

547.604. MUFFLER REQUIRED. (a) A motor vehicle shall
be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that
continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or
similar device on a motor vehicle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

so it appears the in Texas since I have a turbo and pass it out the side of the vehicle I can pass as long as I have something that resembles a cat on it too! lol
Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

A turbo is a muffler. . . You are thinking into this waaaaaay too much. Find a friend that does inspections and you are good.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Tyler is only an hour from Dallas, plenty of friendly shops in the D town area. I'm sure if you ask around or do a search you'll get lots of people PM'ing you to offer help.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 AM
Staging Lane

So bottom line...you either have a turbo or a muffler to pass?
I've never had a turbo and its been years since I've had a muffler and have always passed inspection at a regular shop. How is that?
This year will be a different story. New headers and straight pipe. Way above the 'acceptable' decibel level for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Laws..Turbo Cars come in