Royal Purple Raceway Could Lose NHRA/ Close down

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Royal Purple Raceway Could Lose NHRA/ Close down

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.co...uld-lose-nhra/

Take away this

“If HPP Materials is allowed to continue with its current business plan of operating a concrete crusher and industrial-waste recycling facility next door to an outdoor motorsports park that attracts more than 500,000 participants and spectators annually, then we will have no choice but to cease doing business as a motorsports park,” RPR Vice President & General Manager Seth Angel said

HPP Materials has applied for an air permit with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, and track officials plan to protest the granting of the permit. A TCEQ Public Meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 19, in Mont Belvieu, Texas, and RPR officials are encouraging race fans, local merchants, business partners, and others to attend to show support for the racetrack.

“We know how loyal race fans are, and we’re asking everyone to come and support us at this public meeting,” Angel said. “The future of professional drag racing in Houston is at stake.”

If we all lose the Baytown track this would suck!

I'm down if ya'll want to organize a large group organized cruise to attend the Public Meeting at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 19, in Mont Belvieu, Texas.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm down too.

I took the 1/8th mile track in Angleton for granted. Now it's gone and I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to Baytown to race legally. I can't imagine losing it too. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't at least try to help.

Houston is the 4th largest city in the US and deserves a world class race track like Royal Purple Raceway. We can't let a rude neighboring business ruin it.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a lot of people that run at this track including popular tuning shops, private rentals, import/domestic, and many more. Its 9 days away and I would hope more people act and not just sit around.

Maybe we can get a roll call going?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be disappointed if less than 1,000 people showed up in support of RPR. If they do close down hopefully they relocate to somewhere off 45 in Texas City.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
I would be disappointed if less than 1,000 people showed up in support of RPR. If they do close down hopefully they relocate to somewhere off 45 in Texas City.
If they close that sucker down it will be hard for someone else to build another race track to take its place, and a 1/4 mile track at that.

I see a lot of views, is no one else thinking of going?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by regorih383
If they close that sucker down it will be hard for someone else to build another race track to take its place, and a 1/4 mile track at that.

Agreed...pretty sure we won't see another NHRA track for quite some time, if ever...A lot of money goes into an NHRA sanctioned track/venue, facilities, parking, grandstands, permits etc...its a lot more than racing surface.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got to assume this is being posted on every car club in Houston. Surely people will support this cause if they are off work on a weekday. Yes it's at night but myself will be working nights.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.co...uld-lose-nhra/

Take away this

“If HPP Materials is allowed to continue with its current business plan of operating a concrete crusher and industrial-waste recycling facility next door to an outdoor motorsports park that attracts more than 500,000 participants and spectators annually, then we will have no choice but to cease doing business as a motorsports park,” RPR Vice President & General Manager Seth Angel said

HPP Materials has applied for an air permit with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, and track officials plan to protest the granting of the permit. A TCEQ Public Meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 19, in Mont Belvieu, Texas, and RPR officials are encouraging race fans, local merchants, business partners, and others to attend to show support for the racetrack.

“We know how loyal race fans are, and we’re asking everyone to come and support us at this public meeting,” Angel said. “The future of professional drag racing in Houston is at stake.”

If we all lose the Baytown track this would suck!

I'm down if ya'll want to organize a large group organized cruise to attend the Public Meeting at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 19, in Mont Belvieu, Texas.
POST THIS EVERYWHERE!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Lake Jackson/Angleton area

I am down for an afternoon run from Lake Jackson/Angleton if a few folks want to roll. If baytown closes sealy will become over crowded.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

Ill be there Thursday unless I end up having to work.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

A lot of people are off on Fridays. Royal Purple could let those that attend have a fun run or a jack pot bracket race after the protest. I'm always ready to get down and I am making the drive anyhow.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know how to get a hold of Vice President & General Manager Seth Angel?

Last edited by regorih383; 09-10-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Launching!

I cant believe a business would be that close to them in the first place. (saw the pic in the article) Surely they will not be closed down and close the other business instead, that is not even crushing yet. Just unloading.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6 What
I cant believe a business would be that close to them in the first place. (saw the pic in the article) Surely they will not be closed down and close the other business instead, that is not even crushing yet. Just unloading.
Why would they not be that close, RPR does not own the property. No different that contractors building houses 10' away from each other.

The Angel Brothers also owns a very large concrete company, wonder what the people next to that plant thinks about them.

Regardless it sucks...
Old 09-11-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can't attend try to email every news station on this and ask them to look into the crushing plant. Closing RPR down will invite more street racing.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

This sucks. I will attend thursday and tell all of my friends to come by. Hopefully we can spread the word fast.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TRGunner
POST THIS EVERYWHERE!!!
Done.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

We need to keep this at the top. Any interest in a run from Lake Jackson or angleton?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 AM
Staging Lane

I wish i could go but im working nights. Been going to RPR since i was like 9yrs old and still have not got tired of going every other friday. Love that place and to let it go down cause of a concrete company is not fair. I might have to call in to work to attend.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm making the trip. I have it on my schedule.

Can anyone link this to yellowbullet.com & hotrodgossip.com?

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Raceway Could Lose NHRA/ Close down