need some advice regarding an AR build/purchase and what to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rumblebox
Back to the original question of what brands to avoid.
I have built a handful of rifles including 7.62x51. I have several 5.56 AR's of different manufacturer's store bought and built and havent had any real issues. I dont think there's any real manufacturer to avoid, just do some research. Everyone will have their own opinion and bad experieces (prob blame weapon instead of real problem ie ammo, oil, dirt, etc).

If you are wanting a long distance rifle, look at building one. Theyre not complicated at all, and you get exactly what you want. There are also several sites to get your parts from. These two listed below are the ones I have used the most and they have exceptional customer service.

www.rainierarms.com
www.jsesurplus.com

For optics its the same. I went with a Millet 4x16x50. It is mil dot with illuminated reticle. Picked it up for around $300. It holds its zero, had tall turrets, and reaches out for the long shots.

Good luck narrowing it down.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccso503
I have built a handful of rifles including 7.62x51. I have several 5.56 AR's of different manufacturer's store bought and built and havent had any real issues. I dont think there's any real manufacturer to avoid, just do some research. Everyone will have their own opinion and bad experieces (prob blame weapon instead of real problem ie ammo, oil, dirt, etc).

If you are wanting a long distance rifle, look at building one. Theyre not complicated at all, and you get exactly what you want. There are also several sites to get your parts from. These two listed below are the ones I have used the most and they have exceptional customer service.

www.rainierarms.com
www.jsesurplus.com

For optics its the same. I went with a Millet 4x16x50. It is mil dot with illuminated reticle. Picked it up for around $300. It holds its zero, had tall turrets, and reaches out for the long shots.

Good luck narrowing it down.
Yup, pretty spot on advice.

I'm just finishing up my first build. CMMG lower, Stag Arms left handed upper (I'm lefty), Magpul accessories etc.

Before I even started buying anything I did a LOT of research. AR15.com has a lot of stickies that are helpful, and a lot of excellent information that will help with your build. You'll be better off getting information there than on tech. Just do your research, know what you want to use the gun for (which it looks like you do), and don't cheap out on the important stuff.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

I have two rock rivers (308 & 458 SOCOM) and I've never had any issues with either. Both are quality builds and shoot really well. I've shot groundhogs at over 500 yards with the 308 and the 458 is the best pig/hog gun I've ever used for brush country.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

check out West Fork Armory, in Conroe. Good guys. They built my 5.56, but they deal with AR-10's, .300, 7.62 AR's, just about any variation you can think of really.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

This is going to come off wrong for sure but here we go:
the majority of people on AR15.com will feed you mis-informed BS, just like you get a large portion of the time on this forum, no offense I love LS1tech.
If you are looking at major brands, ie rainier arms, bushmaster, colt defense, red jacket, black rain, Stag arms,and quite a few more. Order parts from BPM(barnes precision Machine). He, Andy Barnes, makes the majority of the parts for ALL of those companies. Also, BPM parts are made in HIS shop, not somewhere else, he is one of 5 companies that do that in the US, make parts from scratch, which one reduces prices and 2 gives you a true American Made product. Just my $.02
Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 AM
8 Sec Tuner

I got a .308 MOE Bushmaster AR-10 for sale 1600.00

Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wilkes02SS
This is going to come off wrong for sure but here we go:
the majority of people on AR15.com will feed you mis-informed BS, just like you get a large portion of the time on this forum, no offense I love LS1tech.
If you are looking at major brands, ie rainier arms, bushmaster, colt defense, red jacket, black rain, Stag arms,and quite a few more. Order parts from BPM(barnes precision Machine). He, Andy Barnes, makes the majority of the parts for ALL of those companies. Also, BPM parts are made in HIS shop, not somewhere else, he is one of 5 companies that do that in the US, make parts from scratch, which one reduces prices and 2 gives you a true American Made product. Just my $.02
Is your name by chance Andy Barnes? Lol
Old 12-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
Is your name by chance Andy Barnes? Lol
No it's not. I have Known Andy Barnes for quite a while. I shoot with him, and I shoot his rifles. There's a reason Special Operations takes their business to him and not those other rifle companies. He is a "small Name Manufacturer". Go shoot a BPM and see if your opinion changes about all the other companies. If you are in NC or LA I will let you shoot mine.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/on-tar...te-extreme/123
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 PM
RCC
On The Tree

Any of the major brands make well built guns. The difference in most off the shelf guns is the roll mark and how much you want to pay for a certain brand.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have or heard anything about anderson arms?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Anderson Arms, no but Anderson Manufacturing yes! I don't own one but a marine vet that I know know does overseas security and says his team uses nothing but Anderson Manufacturing ARs. AM has a special treatment that makes the weapon self lubricating and cleanable with water. It's some crazy stuff. I looked into one a while back but it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Rumblebox I would like to take a second and maybe help you make a better choice for what you are looking for. First the round you are looking at is a nasty round with great properties. The 7.62x39 round has great knock down power, is armor piercing, and can be very accurate even past 300 yards. The 7.62x39 also has been known to tumble during penetration. The 7.62x39 or lets just say AK round for short is a round that can be bought in bulk steel casing for cheap.

Now let's take a look at ARs. The AR is an awesome platform. It is a platform that offers limitless options and configurations. The AR is also a very accurate semi automatic weapon which can be broken down and reassembled with minimal to no tools at all. Now the reason for the accuracy of the AR platform is the close tolerance mil spec characteristics. Now with that comes the down sides to the AR. With having close tolerances lubrication is a must. Powder residue, dirt, sand, and rust will kill an ARs ablility to cycle properly. This is why most spec ops have switch to piston operated systems vs the traditional gas operated system. The gas system uses gas from the barrel to blow back the bolt carrier which allows the same burnt gun powder that coats the barrel to coat the internals and the bolt carrier and bolt in turn creating more and more friction with every shot due to the close tolerances of the AR and will eventually cause the AR to fail to chamber the next round(thus why the AR is manufactured with the forward assist button). Now the piston system uses a blow by piston operated system that eliminates 90% of the burnt powder that reaches your internal components. So for a gun that may see several hundreds of rounds prior to being broken down cleaned and lubricated the piston driven bolt is the way to go.

So now with that pointed out unfortunately the two combinations you are looking at probably aren't ideal. With the ARs close tolerances shooting a steel cased round can be a problem. The steel case is a lot harder metal and will not only wear the chamber and ejector surfaces faster but will also present a high chance of the shell expanding in the the chamber and becoming lodged or stuck. Most weapons that shoot the steel cased ammo are manufactured with this in mind and have a lot looser tolerances than the AR does. Try picking up an AK even without the magazine in and shake it, you will notice it will sound like the tin man walking. So now I'm sure some one is thinking don't they make AK ammo with brass casings. Well yes they do but now we are way outside the cheap aspect of bulk ammo and are back to 308 prices. Also keep in mind the steel cased rounds normally have a laquer paint coating that is terrible on the internals. To boot steel cased ammo tends to leave a lot more power residue behind then brass.

So basically steel cased ammo and ARs don't make a good pair. Can it be done yes but is it ideal no... Shooting steel cased ammo in an AR increases your chances of weapon failure by quit a bit.

So in the long run honestly I would advise an AK if your wanting to stay with the AK round. If your wanting to stay within the AR platform I would advise the 308 due to its simularities to the AK round with the added benefit of the long distant properties at the same cost of AK brass ammo. Also I would say take your time do your home work and touch some ARs. See what accessories you will want and what some come with. If you cant find one built the way you want then just piece and build your own. All the parts can be shipped to your door except the stamped lower. Stay away from poly lowers and your not really going to benefit from forged uppers or lowers. All AR parts are built to basic mil specs so a brand is a brand just some companies have a better rep with quality control. So that's just my .02. Hope it helps a little and make sure you do your research as you go...

Last edited by dkeets; 12-10-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dkeets
Anderson Arms, no but Anderson Manufacturing yes! I don't own one but a marine vet that I know know does overseas security and says his team uses nothing but Anderson Manufacturing ARs. AM has a special treatment that makes the weapon self lubricating and cleanable with water. It's some crazy stuff. I looked into one a while back but it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time.
Yes sir its Anderson manufacturing. Yea i knew about the never having to use oil. Im just curious how they hold up after use and any issues during use. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 AM
RCC
On The Tree

Rumblebox I would like to take a second and maybe help you make a better choice for what you are looking for. First the round you are looking at is a nasty round with great properties. The 7.62x39 round has great knock down power, is armor piercing, and can be very accurate even past 300 yards. The 7.62x39 also has been known to tumble during penetration. The 7.62x39 or lets just say AK round for short is a round that can be bought in bulk steel casing for cheap.
Are serious about the armor piercing?

And even more importantly are you serious about an AK being accurate past 300 yards?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Yes dead serious! I'm specifically speaking on the properties of the 7.62x39 round. Will every AK-47 be an accurate weapon out past 300 yards? No but there are many that are. Would and AR chambered in 7.62x39 be accurate out past 300 yards? Most definately! And as far as armor piercing goes, yes once again... Do a little research and you will find that there are even 5.56 rounds that are armor piercing.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM
RCC
On The Tree

Yes dead serious! I'm specifically speaking on the properties of the 7.62x39 round. Will every AK-47 be an accurate weapon out past 300 yards? No but there are many that are. Would and AR chambered in 7.62x39 be accurate out past 300 yards? Most definately! And as far as armor piercing goes, yes once again... Do a little research and you will find that there are even 5.56 rounds that are armor piercing.
No need for research on my end. Do they they make AP rounds for both platforms? They sure do. Can you or I or anyone else buy them? No you can't.

FYI- armor piercing rounds are not available for sale in the civilian market and to be caught with them is a felony.

The junk they list online for sale as AP is junk and all hype.

The only readily available ammo even close to AP is M855 5.56(green tip with armor penetrator), even with the steel penetrator it can't penetrate armor plate.

I'm not trolling you or trying to start an E-fight with you but I would be willing to bet that I shoot more than most people and have probably built more AR's than anyone of this site. AK's are not considered accurate in any form, they are the running joke in the firearm market and that platform is where the "spray and pray" joke comes from. Do AK's run with minimal issues? You bet they do and the ammo is cheap, but accuracy isn't and never will be something an AK is known for.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Yes both can come in API( armor piercing incendiary), sometimes also known as Slap rounds. Is it readily available to civilians, not so much. What is considered API or AP by the civilian market is generally a copper round with a tungsten core. Can it penetrate armor?, depends on the Body armor level. Anything above a Lvl 3a, good luck. And as far as the "AK API" it doesn't penetrate ****, I have been shot by this round in the head and in the body, luckily my Body Armor stopped the torso shot, since it was a rear shot to the kidney. Just my experience though
Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Teching In

I wasn't going to reply but I feel obligated. Rcc first armor piercing rounds for handguns is illegal yes but not for riffle ammunition. In fact most high velocity riffle ammo carries armor piercing capabilities. Now as far as the AK being known for accuracy that can be argued by opinion but there are many many well built AKs available that can be shot out too and past 300 yards and that's a fact. Will all no due to the fact that most are surplus weapons with many variations in build build material and over all condition. There are many that don't like the AK but many that do. I believe the AK and the AR both have their places. Not trying to measure body parts either just put out good info not opinions. I'd hope that we all shoot and can build the weapons we use but who does more or better isn't really the point of the OPs post here. I have shot built and own both in several different configurations and think rumblebox could be happy with either. Just not sure if an AR in 7.62x39 would be something he would be happy with in the long run.

And wilkes02ss glad you made it home safe brother!

Last edited by dkeets; 12-10-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-10-2013, 09:04 AM
ppp
Launching!

Buy a cheaper gun if you plan on modding it a little at a time, if you're gonna change out half the parts anyway why pay or more expensive spares. I know you've shot several brands. They pretty much all "feel" the same. Anything that breaks or wears can be upgraded/replaced. Cheaper doesn't always mean worse. We can get together an you can shoot mine. $750... My$.02

Quick Reply: need some advice regarding an AR build/purchase and what to avoid