how much am I expecting to pay to assemble a LQ9 into a 98 TA (Arlington area)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much am I expecting to pay to assemble a LQ9 into a 98 TA (Arlington area)

I already pulled the blown engine and transmission, I have a 140k 05 LQ9 shortblock I want to install some 243s, ls6 intake, custom tick cam, PAC dual springs, tick adj. master, racetronix fuel pump with the wiring harness, already have most of the gaskets and bolts. I would like to do it myself but don't have some of the tools (degree wheel kit, valve spring compressor)

so how much am I expecting to pay to assemble everything and install it?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

id say 750 just to install the engine and transmission.

why not take the shortblock cam and heads to a machine shop to have what you cant do done then pick it up and assemble the rest?

whered you get the racetronix pump and harness from? id confirm with racetronix that all of the part numbers that you have jive with each other. i had to cut a hole in my car because i assumed that everything would work together and i was wrong.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

$500 to put motor together. Most won't put back in a motor you removed. $700 is about right to pull motor and replace. There is a humor sign in mechanic shops as follows.
Shop Rate $75/hr
If you want to advise $90/hr
If you want to help $110/hr
If you worked on it first $200/hr
Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jdoyle
id say 750 just to install the engine and transmission.

why not take the shortblock cam and heads to a machine shop to have what you cant do done then pick it up and assemble the rest?

whered you get the racetronix pump and harness from? id confirm with racetronix that all of the part numbers that you have jive with each other. i had to cut a hole in my car because i assumed that everything would work together and i was wrong.
I got them from a member here a while ago, they are brand new, it's the FPA-002 pump and FPWH-002 harness both made for 98s. Taking the shortblock, heads and cam to a machine shop it's actually a great idea but I still need someone to help me install the engine and transmission, I don't want to mess things up lol.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by codyvette
$500 to put motor together. Most won't put back in a motor you removed. $700 is about right to pull motor and replace. There is a humor sign in mechanic shops as follows.
Shop Rate $75/hr
that sign seems legit lol
Old 06-25-2015, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALPHA Q
I got them from a member here a while ago, they are brand new, it's the FPA-002 pump and FPWH-002 harness both made for 98s. Taking the shortblock, heads and cam to a machine shop it's actually a great idea but I still need someone to help me install the engine and transmission, I don't want to mess things up lol.
i could probably help you out
Old 07-09-2015, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

I put an lq9 in my formula it's pretty easy
Old 07-09-2015, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

If you try to take that to a reputable shop it'll probably be closer to $1500-$2000.

Most shops are close to 100/hr. It'll take an EASY 15-20 hours to clean, prep and assemble the engine and mount the transmission and install it and button everything up and topped off and running. Just putting in all fluids and doing final checks takes quite a bit of time, and that's what you're paying for, the time it takes. It would be far less if you wanted just the engine swapped out, but even then that's close to 1k.

Break it down in time. To clean your old block and heads and torque them, that can easily take 2 or so hours, then mount rockers, valve covers coils.. takes about an hour (remember everything has to be cleaned etc). There's 3.

So if it takes just 3 hours to put the heads on and you still have to put on the intake, plugs wires etc. you're already at $400. Then there is front and rear cover R&R and reseal and same with the oil pan. Now you've added 2-3 more hours and you're at about $700 and the motor isn't in or attached to the transmission. Oh I forgot, none of the brackets are on, manifolds, water pump, a/c compressor, flywheel, sensors etc...

I'm writing all this out because I have been a tech for 15 years and people always say "oh it should be like $500" but they don't think off all the intricate details that go into assembling and installing an engine. How long would it take you at home? A week? Two weeks? If I do it in 2 days it'll cost you $1600 in labor alone.

Do it yourself, slowly and carefully. You'll be glad you learned and saved money at the same time.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
Shop Rate $75/hr
I've put a motor back together and in a car that someone else took apart, you're right, most won't do it. I only did it because it was a very good friend and I was doing side work for a living at the time. I would never do it through the shop though.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

It usually cost more month to install an motor that someone already pulled than to have them pull it and reinstall it. When people pull motors and want someone else to put it back together there are usually missing bolts and brackets. I've done so many FBodies I have spare bolts and brackets...

00pooterSS hit the nail on the head, there is more prep time involved than pulling and replacing the motor.

Quick Reply: how much am I expecting to pay to assemble a LQ9 into a 98 TA (Arlington area)