Need hands on help with MS3 gold box

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need hands on help with MS3 gold box

OK, I am about to lose my freaking mind here. I am trying to hook up my Laptop to my MS3 Gold box for the first time and cent even get that done. LOL The issue I thought was no COM ports in my computer. So I downloaded a com port driver but it still will not detect it even though I now see them in my device manager and also set it to Com1 which is required for the MS box. I even ran the port detector from the megasquirt page and it doesn't find it. I am not the most computer savvy person out there but I can usually get things done with hours of hating everything.

Basically my laptop only had USB ports listed. I bought the USB to Serial adapter and thought that might get the job done, nope, no help.

When I hoop up the cables, yea different types LOL, it pops up in the device manager but says it needs the driver. But again, I cant load the driver because it will not detect my Com1 port. Which again, even though it is showing up in my device manager, the port detection tool doesn't see it either.

So bottom line is, I need help. If there is anyone local to me in the San Marcos area that has experience with this stuff and you would like to help me out, that would be awesome. I will even pay if needed. Or do some trading for work or welding ect. I have a few skills that people can use.

Let me know if you think you can help me out. It is very much appreciated. All I am trying to do right now is fire up the engine to make sure it doesn't have any issues after the build and then I can start building my turbo piping.

Johnny
Old 10-09-2016, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Still haven't gotten the laptop to hook up, BUT I did make it run. Since the MS3 has a base tune for an LS1, I wanted to be sure that the unit was working. But due to not having a MAF on the engine and the harness isn't wired for it, its running SUPER fat. Doesn't idle at all, but hold the throttle open a bit and it idles, but again very rich. Let it run for about 15 seconds then shut it off. I also wanted to make sure it had oil pressure, which it was at 60psi. I don't have the front clip on the truck yet, so no water in the engine.

Now all I need is someone to help me with this connection issue. Then I can get into the box and make the needed changes.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Running MAC and using parallels for windows I run into this all the time on aftermarket setups, BS3, Autronic, FAST XFI etc. By default its looking for COM port "X" and you computer is thinking the USB adapter is COM port "Y" basically. You will need to change the COM port to match and usually reboot windows and then plug everything back in and it will work.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, thats the problem. Mynlaptop didnt have COM ports at all in it. I downloaded a driver that added them and set it to COM1 whichbis what the box looks for, didnt see it. I downloaded another COM driver last night that should be for the USB to Serial adapter I bought and it looks like it should work now. Fingers crossed. I was doing this out in the garage and didnt have internet connection. So when I pluged in the adapter it wasnt able to find a driver for it. Which it did last night.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using the serial port in the harness, or the usb port in the gold box?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
Are you using the serial port in the harness, or the usb port in the gold box?
i got it to hook up last night. Using the serial port with an adapter. Now my problem is getting it to run. I have no clue.how to set all the stuff in the box. Or even that I am installing a base tune correctly.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Taxman20
i got it to hook up last night. Using the serial port with an adapter. Now my problem is getting it to run. I have no clue.how to set all the stuff in the box. Or even that I am installing a base tune correctly.
Do you have accurate fuel injector data?

do you know what fuel pressure you really have?

what plugs are in it?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Deka 80lb injectors and 55psi setting static pressure. Which I entered this in the MS3. Plugs are the same that was in it when running it stock before the build and worked great.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have the map sensor calibrated correctly?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Do you have the map sensor calibrated correctly?
didnt know about that. Ill check it today.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

connect with tuner studio and see if the signal makes sense, with key on engine not running, it should show about 100 kpa.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

connect with tuner studio and see if the signal makes sense, with key on engine not running, it should show about 100 kpa.
yes it was reading 100 kPa roughly. I was trying to switch it to read in MERICAN lol.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

It now runs. Still doesn't idle but that's fine for now. Its like the idle is too low, not sure if its fuel related or not, but its not rich like it was. Main thing is it runs and sounds good. I set the static fuel pressure down to 42psi and reduced the required fuel number by 1 full point.

Quick Reply: Need hands on help with MS3 gold box