Anyone ever dealt with a fraudulent HOA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone ever dealt with a fraudulent HOA?

I wanted to see if anyone has ever been through a fraudulent experience with an HOA association. Basically, in a nutshell, our neighborhood is around 300 homes and we don't have any amenities such as a park, pool, trail, or community center, but for the past three years in a row, our HOA dues have gone up from $260 to $320 without any justification. Our HOA only hosts meeting once a year and at the last meeting we found out that our landscaping cost was @ 4 times the cost of what they should be based on one of our resident that is a professional landscaper. Last month they broke ground on some cheap looking playground/park that's small as **** and are claiming building cost in the range of $65,000 for something that looks like it could cost $10,000 MAX.

At this point, it looks like the HOA and our HOA president are awarding large and small contracts to their buddies and taking kickbacks $$$.

Just wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on what options we have as resident from being robbed.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 07-14-2017, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be able to request a breakdown off all expenses throughout the year from them. That would be a start.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pay over 900 a year to my HOA and I have no idea what it goes towards. The lawn care is an absolute joke, the club house hasn't been updated since the 80's, neither has the "playground" if you can call it that. 3 swings, one that has been broken for years, and one rusty old slide that is all metal so good luck kids. The pool is an extra $50 per year and is closed for weeks at a time every time we get a heavy rain because it floods over and gets contaminated with dirt and debris from the creek behind it. The gates at the front of the community are ALWAYS broken, Ive actually had to pull them open with a chain and my truck one time at night because there is no after hours number to call and there were people stacking up at the gate that couldnt get in or out. They're an absolute joke and I have no doubt they're just raking in cash for themselves.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hoa

Sorry to hear about this. But unfortunately waiting until things are already done and paid for is a little too late. Where I live we have no HOA, but people were trying to vote it in. Some folks think they are great, and some can't stand them. My suggestion to you is to get more of your neighbors together and go to the meeting or meetings. DO NOT attempt to not pay your dues. You will lose, and even if you win, your going to pay out your *** in legal fees that will never be repaid to you. There are law firms that specialize in representing HOA's and they pretty much know the laws concerning this inside and out. What i'm trying to tell you is to stay involved to where your money goes. You and your neighbors might be surprised.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

First find where they provide financials, be wary because they can still hide devils in the detail. Then contact several law firms.

HOA have resident members, are they shady neighbors or self-righteous "better than thou" sorts?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

HOAs are exceptionally powerful in Texas. You'll need to get your neighbors on board and all be prepared to spend money to find out if you have any grounds. If you do, prepare to spend more money to fight it. If you win, great, maybe they pay, maybe they don't. If you lose, you lose twice and you could get caught up in loser pays. You have an uphill battle, my friend.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

HOA are powerful but they aren't gods..... never seen an LS powered HOA

Find and read your bylaws.
Find and dissect their financials (accountant helps for this one).
Compare their financial claims against reality to prove or disprove the fraud you think is going on, nobody aside from politicians are allowed to embezzle. HOA making poor financial decisions is up to the HO to hire a new A.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As was said- you need to pay. They will bill you hundreds in late fees.

Our HOA is pretty good- residents run it, decide and vote on expenditures.

Our old HOA was awful- nothing but a scam from day one. Don't enforce anything yet expect your $$.

Are you dealing with a local HOA or a corporation that was hired to run your HOA? The local ones are much easier to deal with.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

You have no choice but to continue to pay the HOA fees. When you close / buy a house in an HOA neighborhood, the HOA contracts are not optional. Legally, HOA's in Texas have the power to evict you from the neighborhood and even take your house from you for non-payment of HOA fees. I'm not kidding, HOA's are not to be fucked with.

I hate them, but it's getting almost impossible to find a decent place to live that doesn't have them.

That said, mine seems strict on paper, but they aren't too bad. There is a substantial amount of landscaping to keep up with and we have many amenities. I pay less than $400 a year for two pools (one lap pool, adult only), several play grounds, tennis courts, fishing pond, and access to the golf course which I live right off of. You are getting boned on the price.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever dealt with a fraudulent HOA?