job hunting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default job hunting!!!

OK Fellas! i was medically seperated out of the army in April of 2017..Been working @ home depot for about 6mo now.however i feel i have more to offer and worth more than that,i'm at 11hr there but prefer to look at something more..i was in contact with a few guys on here before i got out of the army but waited to settle in somewhere first so that brought me and my family to bandera. i'm looking for something that will challenge me i'm willing and open to learning a new trait i'm open to the rigs,willing to learn CNC machining,electrical work; if need be i have the gi bill in my back pocket so a company wouldn't have to use their money to pay for my schooling to learn the trait at hand..
anyone have any info on jobs looking for quality and dependable employees feel free to send me a Pm and let me know.I am open to relocating..
Old 02-08-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Linkedin.com can help. I'm not familiar with the job market that far into nowhereland. LOL Thanks for serving and good luck in the job market the economy seems to be making an up turn which should be good for you. What did you do in the Army if you don't mind asking.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

What you did would help a lot.

I had a handful of older military guys apply for a job I had open a few years ago. Heart breaking sometimes, one guy told me that he just didn't know what he was worth. None of them had the skilsl I needed.

Does the Army do anything to prepare the average guy to find work once he gets out?

My dad was a marine and delivered auto parts for years. Main reason for moving to New York was that we had family here that could get him into the iron workers union, which worked out. But it's scary to see guys serving, learning, becoming better people but have nowhere to go when they leave.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Default Firefighter

You should look at taking a civil service test for firefighter at one of the big cities. They will usually pay for your certs if you do well and get accepted. You could get your certs prior to and get a job at any department. There are some online programs such as fireacademyonline.com that allows you to work from home and on weekends do your burns and skills. Just a thought. I know Houston is having a exam soon.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

A lot of the jobs like the post office or federal jobs, add to your retirement you might have earned in the military. Look into them.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where? Houston?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Does the Army do anything to prepare the average guy to find work once he gets out?
They offer transition training but they also offer terminal leave. So given the choice of going home with pay for a couple of months or sticking around on base for training almost everyone gets the hell out of there as soon as possible.

They will do something like an exit exam to make sure you have a game plan for when you get out but there isn't any follow up.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

What was your MOS?

T,
Old 04-24-2018, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Nitrous Outlet is hiring!

Quick Reply: job hunting!!!