texas speeding laws?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default texas speeding laws?

I just moved to tx so I don't know what your laws are with speeding I just got a ticket this morning but he never clocked me with his radar can he still give me a ticket or not I guess is the Question. Atleast he was nice enough to bring it under 25 over, looking forward to hearing if I should fight this or just pay it and fet it over with.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

um killeen is shitty for that. they prolly got you with laser, and that doesn't always register. spent a little over 2 1/2 years @ Ft Hood, and killeen is a bitch for cops. all ********. watch out on 190 man, its not even funny how they got that place setup sometimes. what kind of radar detector are you running?
Old 12-25-2004, 12:05 AM
10-Second Club

Take defensive driving & get it dismissed. In TX, they are in it for the revenue. They give you the option to take defensive driving after you pay the 'court fees' or deferred adjudification & you pay 'court fees' so as long as you can pay to play, you can keep it off your record as to not raise the insurance as well.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Modsquad
Take defensive driving & get it dismissed. In TX, they are in it for the revenue. They give you the option to take defensive driving after you pay the 'court fees' or deferred adjudification & you pay 'court fees' so as long as you can pay to play, you can keep it off your record as to not raise the insurance as well.
Good Point. I've kept my driving record pretty clean b/c of deferred ajudication. Its a wonderful thing for my insurance, just sucks on the wallet Need to slow down or get a laser jammer hahaha.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Default Don't be hatein'...lol

One more way you coulda been nabbed is by being 'paced.' Patrol units speedo's are calibrated and can be used by the officers to clock ya.

Why do I know this little tid bit of info......I do it all the time.

Just so ya know I'm not being a smart-***, I'm just letting you know another option. Take the deffered, it costs about the same and you don't have to spend any time goin to traffic school.

Just my .02

P.S. Hey Cypher...how's your Christmas goin....we gotta get together for another meet with the DFW gang soon...well, as soon as all this crappy weather breaks.

Ya'll have a good holiday,
Kev Da Cop
Old 12-25-2004, 04:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dude go with as strictly ticket only lawyer. They are cheaper. you dont have to waste time with a bunch of defensive garbage that youve seen before. I have gotten out of 100 mph tickets with them(houston 610 loop). I got way too many speeding tickets a few years ago. The lawyer will usually get the case dissmissed.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:01 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

but you will still have to pay courst costs
Old 12-25-2004, 06:17 AM

Hi y'all i was in Tx for 4 years and they we used to do this is to take it to a lawer and he will get it dismissed but you will pay him the same amount of the ticket but it will not be put under your name so insurance will not go up find a lawer that is known for speeding tickets and you will see the judge dismissing the ticket as soon as he sees him .
Old 12-25-2004, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sfj
sometimes its just best to pay the ticket
Old 12-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Teching In

I was actually on 35n coming back from San Antonio I think I was in New Brunsfeld and he admitted thast he never turned his radar on and I'm running with a CobraESD-9210 and it hadn't let me down yet except for when the *** didn't turn the radar on lol
Old 12-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Just some fyi, I was hit with that lazer stuff they are using and it's almost impossible to get out of.. I just took the driving class after talking to an attorney and getting all the facts and prices. Whichever direction you decide to go at least get some protection for the future. After talking to some semi drivers i found alittle secret out there that really works. It's a lazer jammer and one month after installing it, The darn thing saved me. That was enough to pay for itself. You can read about it and the test results on www.southeastperformance.com this thing is great and helped me out.
good luck with yours.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

You will pretty much always have to pay court fees, sometimes the lawyers can get it dismissed w/o any deferred or defensive driving, i would take my chances w/ the lawyer IMO
Old 12-26-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by K9Kev
P.S. Hey Cypher...how's your Christmas goin....we gotta get together for another meet with the DFW gang soon...well, as soon as all this crappy weather breaks.

Ya'll have a good holiday,
Kev Da Cop

Haven't been to any of the DFW meets yet, I need to get to one. Now that I have my car back it will actually be fun!! My christmas went alright up until I had to work an eight hour shift, 3pm-11pm...which ended up being 1130. Don't mind workin, just cuttin in on family time is shitty w/o giving us holiday differential pay(still up in the air ).

I've got a lot of installing to do next week. Kooks SS/ORY, LCA's, tq arm, stock replacement shocks, maybe even my dash pad. Gotta get it done before school starts hahaha. Hit me up and maybe we can arrange something. I live like 2 mins away from the Hooters off 114 the last meet was at.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sfj
What part of dissmissed did you not understand? When the judge dissmisses the ticket there cannot be a court fee because you have not been charged.
Do what you wanna do but i am speaking off of experience. I have spent a small fortune in my youth with speeding. You can say it was dumb and i would agree with you , but i did my research and found what worked over and over. I would say that i have had about at least 15 tickets dissmissed from using a lawyer. I would not have insurance if it wasnt for my attorney.

Last edited by 97LT1; 12-26-2004 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Teching In

well first off get a radar detector, i have the passport 8500 its saved me millions of time, second the way i learned it in school is according the constitution ur innocent till PROVEN guilty, so if he says ur going however fast, ask to see the radar detector, and if he wont show u, write on the ticket that he refused to show u(and yes u can write on the ticket before you sign it) now as far as laser and radar, once your been laser'd ur caught( no argueing) And radar not all radar detectors will save u, after doing 30 hrs of community service w. a cop in an unmarked squad car, ill let yall in on not well known fact bout there radar, they have a button there can turn on and off w/ a flip of a switch(not an on and off) they turn it off w/ the button and as soon as they turn it on they have u locked, ur screwed, but thats bout my 2 cents on the matter, im only 17, so take the information as u want, but i hope i cud help
Old 12-31-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Default Wrong ....

Bad idea to suggest anybody write on the ticket when/before/after you sign it. P.S. I don't know where you got the idea that any officer 'has' to show you the reading on the radar either....that dog won't hunt there Hot Rod.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:37 PM
Launching!

K9, I didnt' read Kyle05's discription as saying the officer has to show you the radar just that he if doesn't, note it on the ticket. Its just one other thing to use when standing in court and trying to get out of a ticket. I, myself, would rather not make the officer mad. Just wondering, why not write that on the ticket?
Old 12-31-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Ticket is an official court document.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

i have a question for K9Kev: The other day i was doing 70 mph in a 65. THe cop pulled me over and said i was going 79!!!! I AM POSITIVE I WAS GOING 70 B/C it was on cruise control. Have stock size tires, so my mph is correct..... asked the officer to see the radar that he clocked me with but he just ignored me and said to sign the ticket... what could i have done??????? Got a lawyer that is currently going to handle the case, but what could i do next time if this happens?????
Old 12-31-2004, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

better plan on arguing that you were going exactly 65 because if you say you were only going a little bit over, the judge or whatever might laugh at you and say that is still speeding. I heard this, you must argue the whole time that you were never speeding at all for it to be relavent.

I got a question, why do cops say "I got you at 55 but ill write down 50..." (it was a 35). i was still not the least bit happy, and it made me more mad that they just round the numbers off to a nice square number. what happened to the accurate reading?