This may rouse some feathers....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005 | 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default This may rouse some feathers....

I am a staunch Republican, and I have a friend that is too. He, however, is a passionate atheist. How does this figure in among you Texans? I would love to place this in "Politics Related" but can't seem to find it. I figure Texas has a large thumb on the pulse of America, so I ask you first.
He lives like I do. He is a great person, and treats everyone we hang out with equal respect (some Mexicans, AfricanAmericans,even some Gay-one guy) as he would anyone else. He has a pretty fast street car, too. He has never broken a law that I know of, and will be the first guy to lend you money at a bar, and the last guy to ask for it back. I just wonder what you guys would say to him? I'm very curious. He won't be reading this, so let me know.
Old 01-14-2005 | 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what are you asking or what do you mean what would we say to him? Christians are usually republican (from what I've seen), but I don't know that all republicans are Christians...
Old 01-14-2005 | 11:47 PM
Ginger Hater

I also don't know what your trying ask.....are you trying to convert this guy to become a christian or something?

With political party affiliation, i try and not label any group to another group. Like Republicans=Christians....or Athiest=Democrats. The fact is there are Christians that are Dems and vise versa(as in your case). A political affiliation isn't something where if you are this you have to be that.
Old 01-14-2005 | 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zo6Killer
I just wonder what you guys would say to him? I'm very curious.
I'd say, "Hi <whatever his name is>! Want a beer?"

-Mike
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I'd say, "Hi <whatever his name is>! Want a beer?"

-Mike

Exactly!
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:24 AM
bbz
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thegreenbullitt
what are you asking or what do you mean what would we say to him? Christians are usually republican (from what I've seen), but I don't know that all republicans are Christians...
I'm Christian and Democrat.
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:25 AM
bbz
TECH Regular

I am a staunch Republican, and I have a friend that is too. He, however, is a passionate atheist. How does this figure in among you Texans? I would love to place this in "Politics Related" but can't seem to find it. I figure Texas has a large thumb on the pulse of America, so I ask you first.
He lives like I do. He is a great person, and treats everyone we hang out with equal respect (some Mexicans, AfricanAmericans,even some Gay-one guy) as he would anyone else. He has a pretty fast street car, too. He has never broken a law that I know of, and will be the first guy to lend you money at a bar, and the last guy to ask for it back. I just wonder what you guys would say to him? I'm very curious. He won't be reading this, so let me know.

I'm not understanding something... Are you a guy or girl and are you trying to this guy?
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbz
I'm Christian and Democrat.
I'm fully aware there are such things, but around here, generally speaking, Christians seem to fall republican, such as myself.
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

The reason there isnt a political section here is because some people cant handle a different opinion and it turns into a bunch of locked threads and banned members. I was part of a Dodgecharger forum, you talk about make you sick of politics. The political ****** would invade outside of the political area and multimedia area. I say they should log onto CNN.com.

Your post doesnt ask anything really, it states that your friend is an athiest and you are im assuming christian. I know there is a lable for each of the religions and politcal parties for a reason, based off of choice. Your buddy has chosen his belief ,so whats wrong with that? You should share your opinion with him and see what he has to say. Im a Texan, republican , went to public and private christian schools (you would never think after meeting me), and dont go to church. Am i a bad person? All i am saying is that you yourself have come to realize that he is a good person ,and that being an athiest hasnt affected his life based on the stereotype that have in your mind, about athiest belief. I would love to hear his belief on life itself, while hammering shots in a bar.
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:47 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

I would love to place this in "Politics Related" but can't seem to find it.
Announcement posted at the top of the Racers Lounge; the politics forum was shut down a couple weeks ago https://ls1tech.com/forums/announcement.php?f=50
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:54 AM
Banned

thegreenbullitt
it makes me so happy to see that name
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SlowTA
it makes me so happy to see that name
i sprayed a 300shot today...

now i'm tippen on w/e the hell they prescribed me
Old 01-15-2005 | 01:09 AM
That's what she said...

i'm an athiest, and i'm down with the bush (in more ways than one )

so it figures in pretty well with me lol

not sure what question it is your asking though, clarify it before someone comes in here and persecutes me and i'm not able to answer
Old 01-15-2005 | 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

this needs to be closed now ....
Old 01-15-2005 | 01:23 AM
That's what she said...

lol your probably right, it could get nasty in a hurry.
Old 01-15-2005 | 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, I think it could stay open IF everyone act's in a responsible manner.

As far as the friend, I wouldn't treat him any different than anyone else in the world. Just because someone has a different view on some subjects, doesnt mean that they are any better/worse than myself.
Old 01-15-2005 | 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, my feathers are roused, you hooligan.
Old 01-15-2005 | 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

it is his right to be an atheist and a republican. he is obviously not in the armed forces. old saying there are no athiests in a fox hole. but who cares if he is cool hang with him. my mom borders on communist liberal and i still talk to her.
Old 01-15-2005 | 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just wanted to know what the majority of people that identify strongly with religion would say to an athiest. Most shake their heads upon finding out, or say "I'll pray for you" or just cut off contacts. Just wondering what the tolerance level of fellow 'Techers was on those with varying religious views(or none at all). I seriously don't want a fire-fight here, I just want to know what other car junkies feel in this regard. It just seems that some people look past the person they're speaking with and immediately judge them on their particular choice of savior. Feel free to chime in, and please only constructive comments, although in my experience that may or may not be possible at times.
Old 01-15-2005 | 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just wanted to know what the majority of people that identify strongly with religion would say to an athiest. Most shake their heads upon finding out, or say "I'll pray for you" or just cut off contacts. Just wondering what the tolerance level of fellow 'Techers was on those with varying religious views(or none at all). I seriously don't want a fire-fight here, I just want to know what other car junkies feel in this regard. It just seems that some people look past the person they're speaking with and immediately judge them on their particular choice of savior. Feel free to chime in, and please only constructive comments, although in my experience that may or may not be possible at times.
you don't say anything IMO. You set a good example and maybe it'll rub off or they'll notice there's something different about you...but it takes time. Saying something is probably the worst thing you can do to someone you are concerned about spiritually.