*** Concrete patio, does this estimate sound about right? ***

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default *** Concrete patio, does this estimate sound about right? ***

Guys,

Can you please let me know if this sound like a fair estimate or not? I am looking to do a concrete patio in the backyard. The size is 15 by 30, so that comes out to 450sqft. The estimate I got is $3000, approximately $6.60 per sqft.

Currently, that area has grass. The quote above includes all the prep work required before they can pour the concrete. They will use rebar steel instead of wire mesh. As for the thickness, it's about 5" or so. This is for a plain slab, no special finish or anything.

Does that sound about right? If you have any recommendation for certain companies in Houston, please let me know. I appreciate your help.

Thanks
-Tuan
Old 04-07-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuan, I'm a concrete contractor. If there is anyone here that can give you this answer it is me.

$6.50 sounds about right in your situation. Considering the $6.50 includes the prep work. A year ago that $6.50 was more like $5.00. With the current shortage of cement and the high price of steel, us contractors are forced to increase our prices accordingly. $6.50 sounds about right.

Rule of thumb is you should get at least 3 prices so you can make fair comparisons.

Good Luck!
Old 04-07-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

That does not sound too bad. My friend just did a 10x10 (6" thick) himself and it took 74 bags to complete. So you would need around 225 bags to do it yourself and at 2.50 a bag you are looking at almost 600 bucks in just concrete. Then you need wood for forms, rebar for reinforcement, rock to level the ground and all the prep work. Sounds like a lot of money but when you break it out it's not that bad. Plus you don't have to tear down the forms and clean up.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, your responses are greatly appreciated. Enjoy your afternoon.

-Tuan
Old 04-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

That price is on the high side IMO. I am in the Dallas area and usually charge closer to $5 a foot for standard brushed concrete. We charge $6.5/ft for exposed agg. and $10/ft for patterned concrete.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Its been a while since ive done a concrete job but if you get a truck its usually a minimum of 3 yards and it runs about 60 to 70 bucks a yard and you get one hour to unload it. 5 inches think is pretty thick for just a patio...you could prolly save a bit by going less. It really depends on how level the ground is. Your gona need about 7 yards to go 5 inches, so if you go 80 bucks a yard thats 560 bucks. You live in the capital of Mexico, its not hard to find some guys that can do this job for you for 100 bucks a piece. Two guys working the wheel borrows...one guy screeting and spreading. The prep work you can do yourself in advance in just one day. This way your only out 860 bucks...not 3K. I like doing my own work on my house even if it doesnt look perfect. If I was gona do this job for you(and Im not) I would prolly charge you about 1800~2200. So 3k bucks for a larger company with insurance and lots of overhead to do this work isnt soo bad.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

4 inches is standard for most patio's and j_rock is right about the doing it yourself part. It really is not that hard to find good laborers to do the work. Most of those guys have done a little of everything. I don't know about Houston, but here in DFW there areas where those guys congrigate every day looking for work.

The overhead part is somewhat true, we have 3 million dollar umbrella policy as well as workers comp, and the prices I quoted are what we sell at all the time. I still think the prices you were quoted are high, the contractor is definatly making a nice profit off of the job.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by j_rock
You live in the capital of Mexico, its not hard to find some guys that can do this job for you for 100 bucks a piece. Two guys working the wheel borrows...one guy screeting and spreading.

Thats what my dad did with the patio around our pool. he rented the cement truck and got 4 mexicans to do the work.

ALbert
Old 04-10-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silver BeaSSt
4 I still think the prices you were quoted are high, the contractor is definatly making a nice profit off of the job.
You're probably right, but I remember reading not too long ago that Houston was taking the short end of the stick as a bunch of Union Pacific trains were being cut from the Houston market which would create a "shortage" of concrete. (If I remember right the trains cut were gravel trains.)

My guess is that the price difference may have to do with the "shortage" - I don't remember all the particulars of the article, though.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Tribe Shaman

80 lbs per bag.
3 bags to a mix in a mixer = 1 load
83.3 loads to mix up.
250, 80 lbs bags to lift and put in the mixer.
83.3 loads to move in a wheelbarrow at 1/2 load at a time, 167 loaded trips.

the thought of doing this by your self INSANE.
the felling of doing it by your self, WELL EARNED.
wife bitiching about every mistake you made until the day you die.
PRICELESS