Icon Autosports announces the official LSx Nitrous 1/4 mile Record!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icon Autosports announces the official LSx Nitrous 1/4 mile Record!

Well guys, we finally are starting to get the Formula lined out and we took it to the Southwest Showdown this past weekend at San Antonio Raceway to enter the Pro-Mod class and tune on the car at the same time. I tried a shakedown run with .028 jets in the car and ran a 9.05 at 149mph short shifting it (shift point is set at 7500 rpm and I shifed at 7000) according to our F.A.S.T. data log. AF on that pass was 9.8 to 10.3 to 1 almost all the way down the track. I decided to quit wasting time and stepped up the nitrous a little bit and changed the jets to .040. Took a 1/4 pound of fuel pressure out and headed to the line. We were out of time to warm up the bottle so I had to leave the line on only 850 psi of bottle pressure. Car left ok, (only a 1.30 60 ft) leaving on 75% and coming into 100% over 1.1 seconds of build time on the progressive controller. Short shifted again . Never saw the shift light. and the car went so pig rich on the top end of the track that it started banging out so i let off. Timeslip is as follows..

60 ft 1.30
330 ft 3.50
660 ft 5.48
mph 130.xx
1000ft ?
1/4 mile 8.577
mph 147.9

Got back to the pits and read the data log and it showed us that we were still in the low 10's to high nines all the way through low gear and once we went into high gear we went 9.0 to 1 and lower (wont read any lower). Thats what all the banging was about at the top end. It was due to the low bottle pressure. Starting off as low as i did, at the end of my run i was around 750 psi. Just not enough pressure for the amount of fuel that was being used.

Next pass, we were ready. So we thought. We had a full heated bottle. Final round against the Ohio Boy..... and Girl . We lined up, I kinda screwed up on my staging...backed back in, lights went green and I got out on Steve about a car length(see picture). The car left harder than I have ever felt it yet. Shook the tires so hard once the progressive let it all flow that my battery slid back in it's box and yanked out my main power cable. Boom! Lights out! No power while on the wheelie bars, and Slam! right on the ground. Steve ended up running an 8.65 at 16x. on that pass with a 5.59 1/8 mile @ 128mph. I didn't know what the heck happened until we got back to the pits and found a measley little battery terminal is what kept us from a good chance of having a different outcome of the race. But, we were happy anyway. We had a good weekend and turned out some good numbers and we didn't lose the race by breaking an engine or tranny or anything serious. Just a batttery terminal. Fixed it, and begged for a chance to make another pass and redeem myself but they had already took the tree down

We will go back out maybe this coming weekend to go ahead and see what this thing will do with a good clean run somewhere around 10.5 to 11.0 to 1 atleast and not short shifting it. Any one want to make any predictions?

Here is the video of the 8.57 pass. Listen at the end and you can hear it banging out. Remember, sound travels slower than light so it's a little hard to tell that I let out before the traps but, the data logger shows we did.

http://www.iconautosports.com/sar.wmv

http://brains.ls1tech.com/gallery/m...g2_serialNumber

Just thought you Houston fellas' would like to know if you already didn't.

Man, we were kind of embarrased. We are supposed to be the LS1 capital of the country with all of these shops here in Houston. Where were the rest of you guys?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Congrats Mike! Definately have Edgar's car running like a scalded ape!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

god damn that thing leaves good........ it sounds like its breaking up from like 1000 feet on...... that thing will deff come damn close to a 7 once finally worked out and u turn it on full tilt.....congrats guys
Old 11-15-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

def. your car was rolling out! glad to see you take the record. Like you said, we wish there were more cars out there
Old 11-15-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by IconAutoSports
Well guys, we finally are starting to get the Formula lined out and we took it to the Southwest Showdown this past weekend at San Antonio Raceway to enter the Pro-Mod class and tune on the car at the same time. I tried a shakedown run with .028 jets in the car and ran a 9.05 at 149mph short shifting it (shift point is set at 7500 rpm and I shifed at 7000) according to our F.A.S.T. data log. AF on that pass was 9.8 to 10.3 to 1 almost all the way down the track. I decided to quit wasting time and stepped up the nitrous a little bit and changed the jets to .040. Took a 1/4 pound of fuel pressure out and headed to the line. We were out of time to warm up the bottle so I had to leave the line on only 850 psi of bottle pressure. Car left ok, (only a 1.30 60 ft) leaving on 75% and coming into 100% over 1.1 seconds of build time on the progressive controller. Short shifted again . Never saw the shift light. and the car went so pig rich on the top end of the track that it started banging out so i let off. Timeslip is as follows..

60 ft 1.30
330 ft 3.50
660 ft 5.48
mph 130.xx
1000ft ?
1/4 mile 8.577
mph 147.9

Got back to the pits and read the data log and it showed us that we were still in the low 10's to high nines all the way through low gear and once we went into high gear we went 9.0 to 1 and lower (wont read any lower). Thats what all the banging was about at the top end. It was due to the low bottle pressure. Starting off as low as i did, at the end of my run i was around 750 psi. Just not enough pressure for the amount of fuel that was being used.

Next pass, we were ready. So we thought. We had a full heated bottle. Final round against the Ohio Boy..... and Girl . We lined up, I kinda screwed up on my staging...backed back in, lights went green and I got out on Steve about a car length(see picture). The car left harder than I have ever felt it yet. Shook the tires so hard once the progressive let it all flow that my battery slid back in it's box and yanked out my main power cable. Boom! Lights out! No power while on the wheelie bars, and Slam! right on the ground. Steve ended up running an 8.65 at 16x. on that pass with a 5.59 1/8 mile @ 128mph. I didn't know what the heck happened until we got back to the pits and found a measley little battery terminal is what kept us from a good chance of having a different outcome of the race. But, we were happy anyway. We had a good weekend and turned out some good numbers and we didn't lose the race by breaking an engine or tranny or anything serious. Just a batttery terminal. Fixed it, and begged for a chance to make another pass and redeem myself but they had already took the tree down

We will go back out maybe this coming weekend to go ahead and see what this thing will do with a good clean run somewhere around 10.5 to 11.0 to 1 atleast and not short shifting it. Any one want to make any predictions?

Here is the video of the 8.57 pass. Listen at the end and you can hear it banging out. Remember, sound travels slower than light so it's a little hard to tell that I let out before the traps but, the data logger shows we did.

http://www.iconautosports.com/sar.wmv

http://brains.ls1tech.com/gallery/m...g2_serialNumber

Just thought you Houston fellas' would like to know if you already didn't.

Man, we were kind of embarrased. We are supposed to be the LS1 capital of the country with all of these shops here in Houston. Where were the rest of you guys?
I was wondering where they all were too. I saw you guys out there the car looked good and obviously ran well. I know the dfw boys came down the play but I figured the houston boys would of had a bigger showing considering it was closer. All in all I had a great time.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Way to go Mikey. P
Old 11-15-2005, 07:45 AM
9 Second Club

bad ***
Old 11-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Great job Mike, Edgar, and Larry!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:32 AM

Congrats Mike, as I knew you guy's would take the record home. I had some business to take care of this weekend but wished I could have made it out...You guy's deserve all the credit cause you yourself worked very hard on that car and it took a while but now its paying off....It's nice to say that HTOWN and ICON now has the record!!!!

Congrats again to all of you guy's!!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:33 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats guys.

Coach
Old 11-15-2005, 08:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Nice work Mike. Glad to see ya laying down some times!!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Major Props to the whole gang...

Mike that ****** is FLYIN'... I see some crazy ET's when it's "clean"

To all the "doubters" (you know who you are)...

ICON AUTOSPORTS rules !!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice, all admist this turbo frenzy you guys are showing a good ol' fashion dope car can still bring it
Old 11-15-2005, 10:30 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, Mike.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Congrats to you guys taking the record Mike!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bizzzatch350
Nice, all admist this turbo frenzy you guys are showing a good ol' fashion dope car can still bring it
Where there any turbo cars down there?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

As it sits I belive the car has a high 7 in it. Just a matter of tuning and whatnot.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

congrats
what do you think she'll do?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Brandon
congrats
what do you think she'll do?
My Bet would be a 8.4x on a good track here in TX....
Old 11-15-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Strini SS
My Bet would be a 8.4x on a good track here in TX....

i concur