Security Light Stays On !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Light Stays On !!!!!!

The security light in my 00 T/A stays on all the time now. Does anyone know how to turn it off. Before when i started the car it would come on and turn off after a few seconds. Its been on for about three months now.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does the same thing, its your "VATS" system. Another words your alarm is f'd up. Mine has been on for about 3 months as well. Everyone suggested to take it to the dealership and they can fix it. But it will run around $500. I took it to some local shops and none of them could do anything about it. So i deal with it for now, car runs fine and alarm still works. I was told they are just shitty and sometimes it confuses itself.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

My 97 did that ended up being the ignition wire was cut from years of the moving the wheel up and down. Me and my roomates at te time fixed it MAJOR PAIN in the *** to do. I broke the air bag line for the wheel so now thanks to Big Rick I have a quick release steering wheel, Anti- theft bitches....
Old 03-01-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

It's not necessarily BROKE.....could be wear and tear on the key/resistor. Do you have a spare set that you never use??? I'd try a spare key, or even a new key before I go to digging into the ignition switch / steering column.....just my .02
Old 03-01-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camarodave98
Mine does the same thing, its your "VATS" system. Another words your alarm is f'd up. Mine has been on for about 3 months as well. Everyone suggested to take it to the dealership and they can fix it. But it will run around $500. I took it to some local shops and none of them could do anything about it. So i deal with it for now, car runs fine and alarm still works. I was told they are just shitty and sometimes it confuses itself.

Will it help if i get rid of the factory alarm and get an aftermarket alarm. I was thinking aboout getting another system anyways
Old 03-01-2006, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Its the key thing, it'll have to be replaced for 340 bucks at dealer
Old 03-01-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

not if it's the key (more specifically the resistor pallet)...
what gets more wear? the electronic alarm/BCM.....or the key/ignition?
Ive been through this too.....start with the simplest things first....good luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
It's not necessarily BROKE.....could be wear and tear on the key/resistor. Do you have a spare set that you never use??? I'd try a spare key, or even a new key before I go to digging into the ignition switch / steering column.....just my .02

I tried using the spare key with the spare factory alarm and the light still stays on. Iam already getting fustrated
Old 03-01-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

do you keep alot of keys (weight) on your key chain? something to think about...that swinging weight does not do the ignition any good over time.

Dont sweat the small stuff .... you said that it still starts, so you've got some time to eliminate what's not causing it. If it were me.... unless the spare is in new condition, I'd have another one made, because that is cheaper than a trip to the dealer. From there you have a choice...

Do It Yourself:
See if you can find a copy of the dealer service manual and see what the manual says... this is what the techs at the dealers use as a reference. [I dont have one... wish I did though...If you dont plan on getting one...replace the ignition next or (like MrBill suggested) pull the column apart and check the wires for wear @ the pivot point in the column]

Or take it to a dealer (I dont think... that the speed shops would really want to mess with it...but who knows)
Old 03-01-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

you better hope it is ur key resistor if it is the wire bad news bears
Old 03-01-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would definitely tried a new key first. If that does not work Im pretty sure it will be the wire to the ignition or the actual ignition cylinder gone bad. Good luck
Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

new key is only like 35 bucks so go that route first !!!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
do you keep alot of keys (weight) on your key chain? something to think about...that swinging weight does not do the ignition any good over time.

Dont sweat the small stuff .... you said that it still starts, so you've got some time to eliminate what's not causing it. If it were me.... unless the spare is in new condition, I'd have another one made, because that is cheaper than a trip to the dealer. From there you have a choice...

Do It Yourself:
See if you can find a copy of the dealer service manual and see what the manual says... this is what the techs at the dealers use as a reference. [I dont have one... wish I did though...If you dont plan on getting one...replace the ignition next or (like MrBill suggested) pull the column apart and check the wires for wear @ the pivot point in the column]

Or take it to a dealer (I dont think... that the speed shops would really want to mess with it...but who knows)
I do have alot of other keys on my key chain which would weigh it down some. But the spare key i have like new it has never been used. I guess i will try and purchase another key from the dealer and see how that works out