I Hate OReilly Auto Parts... what's a better place to go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Hate Oreily

Howdy yall! I just wanted to see, how many of you guys aren't huge fans of Oreilly? And where do yall go for parts and stuff? I just wanted to state that I DO NOT LIKE OREILLY because they used to be decently knowledgeable but the stores around me do not hire the best staff...and this is in KATY, TX. There are about two people who know what they are doing...

I went in the other day to get a fuel filter for my mom's flex fuel 02 tahoe that has 90k miles on it, about time to change. He comes out with a filter that i know is the wrong one and i discuss it with him. I say its flex fuel so could that be why its a different model, and he says "o itll work" and i take it out to make sure its the same size and its similar size and such and it indeed is. I tell him that internally or the way it connects may be different, cause i know that it has different size injectors ~35lb as opposed to ~30lb on regular 5.3 liters, so it would prolly have different fuel filter, but he insists itll work. I take it home and sure enough, connects differently. I am just pissed cause my other vehicle is a 4x4 HD that gets 10MPG and yea, that was basically a 10 dollar mistake that Oreilly costed me, not to mention the time wasted....anywho...if you are in katy, dont go to oreilly...
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
Howdy yall! I just wanted to see, how many of you guys aren't huge fans of Oreilly? And where do yall go for parts and stuff? I just wanted to state that I DO NOT LIKE OREILLY because they used to be decently knowledgeable but the stores around me do not hire the best staff...and this is in KATY, TX. There are about two people who know what they are doing...

I went in the other day to get a fuel filter for my mom's flex fuel 02 tahoe that has 90k miles on it, about time to change. He comes out with a filter that i know is the wrong one and i discuss it with him. I say its flex fuel so could that be why its a different model, and he says "o itll work" and i take it out to make sure its the same size and its similar size and such and it indeed is. I tell him that internally or the way it connects may be different, cause i know that it has different size injectors ~35lb as opposed to ~30lb on regular 5.3 liters, so it would prolly have different fuel filter, but he insists itll work. I take it home and sure enough, connects differently. I am just pissed cause my other vehicle is a 4x4 HD that gets 10MPG and yea, that was basically a 10 dollar mistake that Oreilly costed me, not to mention the time wasted....anywho...if you are in katy, dont go to oreilly...

Yea I hate those knuckle heads that the autoparts stores hire... but, I just order threw there warehouse at cost, my uncle is the owner of O'reily... I will let him know that his stores are hiring retards...

Mark
Old 04-17-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its all corporate, i tried to get a job just part time while goin through the police academy....yea they wouldnt hire me...not to be racist...but i was white and had a 4 year degree, ALONG with working on cars since i could remember....there was one guy who was over 25 and the rest looked like it was a hs job they did so they could buy crack....just the honest truth at advanced auto
Old 04-17-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some parts guys are extreme experts, but most aren't. I have about seven different stores I visit for different items and at different times. But all of them only maintain a basic inventory of most-requested parts. If you want something out of the ordinary you'll have to find a performance shop rather than a chain store.

I'd venture a guess that most people shop online for specialty items. One thing to keep in mind is that some chain stores have their inventory online. I almost always find the part I want and take the part number to the store with me when I pick it up. It also gives me the opportunity to call first to see if they have that part in stock. They can tell you which store(s) has it before you hop in the car.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you meant Bill O'rielly, I love that guy
Old 04-17-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW the manger of the local OReillys and I have an agreement I look up and find my own parts, and in return I don't kick the sh*t out of the idiotic 3 toothed redneck with the iq of a house plant that's behind the counter
Works well
Old 04-17-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

hey i am from katy what oriely are you talking about so i dont go to them, i close to katy jr high
Old 04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

it happened to me also..im in lufkin TX all the retard working in O'reily
Old 04-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Launching!

AutoZone folks have always been helpful to me. O'Reilly sucks. I try at all costs not to purchase anything from O'Reilly unless I have to.

I always try to talk with the oldtimers rather than the pizza faced high school kid that drives the 89 Stang outside.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Local autozone here isnt too bad. Most are idiots but one guy is ase and another OLLLDD guy is cool.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

my little brother works at autozone and i must say....i wont ask anyone for anything, lol. I go there to bother him sometimes and the **** that flies out of those workers mouth is crazy. They make **** up just so the customer will leave them alone, idiots.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Ditto on O'Reillys. I know the store your talking about and had similar experiences there. At least at Autozone theres usually one guy around thats worth a damn. The rest are pretty much people who can't get real jobs.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have trouble with them all. I have had the best luck with O'reilly here. Auto zone you better speak spanish or they will ignore (I am not racist..I have had this happen to me more than once). Then I sent my wife up there to pick up a tool while I was working on the car one day....they were very rude to her and treated her like she was stupid (my wife's knows about cars...prob more than that idiot) After she told him he was wrong he just told her to leave and proceeded to say perverted and rude things about her in spanish. Sad thing is....She knows spanish. I went back up there and took care of things. he and one of his buddies got fired after I called the district guy, but the store is still run the same way by the same losers. They were supposed to send a written apology to my wife...never happened. I will never go back. Don't want their junky parts anyway.

Best advice. find one or 2 guys who are helpful and know you are not an idiot and go to them only when you get parts. Forget the other morons. Once I did this at Oreilly, I have been pretty happy.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

first of all, you are talking about a 'discount' auto parts store. you can't expect much... you gotta know your **** before going in there. its like going to best buy and expecting them to have real product knowledge beyond what the little card on the shelf next to that stereo tells them (with the exception of the new 'magnolia' division)

to give them a tiny bit of credit, you know more about your car then they do because you are pretty much only studying the ins and outs of one car, they stock parts for 3427334457 different cars and only know what the computer tells them.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmostfastLT1
my uncle is the owner of O'reily... I will let him know that his stores are hiring retards...

Mark
WOW, he OWNS a major corporation? How many stocks roughly does it take to hold that status? I bet all those othjer stock h9olders are pissed that he owns the stores and they don't
Old 04-18-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you don't know something, don't pretend to. thats the problem i have with those stores, they feed you huge lines of bullshit half the time. the o'reilly's in killeen, there was a couple guys that knew their **** when it came to older cars, but nothing about LS1s. at least they didn't try to feed me a line of crap everytime, they just said "sorry, but i can't be sure".
Old 04-18-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

auto zone by my house has one older guy that knows his ****...the other guys...well just put it this way when i pulled up they asked "damn what kind of engine does your car have it sounds good"
Old 04-18-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

No problems with the O'Reilly's by my house. I get to go in the back and give them a hand working on my stuff. Great bunch of guys at that one!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used to go to the O'reily in mansfield but then one guy got cought stealing **** and they fired the entire crew and hired a bunch of idiots

i just order parts online and get my oil and easy stuff from walmart
Old 04-18-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Second Fun Car

This is my favorite line " well......the computer doesnt show that part....."