45.35%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

UFC 60 5/27 Hughes vs Gracie

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taco Sauce

Krazy98Z28- Don’t think that Matt’s Jiu Jitsu skills are on the same level as Royce’s. To get the fight on to the ground and once it’s there Matt heavily relies on his wrestling abilities. He uses them to put himself into a favorable position where he’s either able to pound the fight out or take a shot at a submission. The draw back to this is that unlike Royce, Matt is extremely uncomfortable when working from his back. Also don’t be naive enough to think that Matt will be able to counter anything that Royce throws at him. I promise you that Matt has not seen 1/1000th of the various options that Royce could use to possibly submit him.

Personally I’d like to see Royce win the fight but I can’t help but think that Matt’s going to win it VIA ground and pound.
-Thomas
He knows more than what Shamrock knew 12 years ago, and that will be the difference.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
Remember Shamrock knew nothing about BJJ when he fought Gracie.

Matt is an overall better MMA fighter and thats what wins fights in UFC
both good points man, shrugs I don't know, since breakfast I've sorta jumped ship thinking about it, Matt's a serious contender, Gracie has a different kind of stamina, well used to anyway, but he looks for the gate openings and takes them even when he's wiped out, that's a big plus for him, but I have a sick feeling Matt is going to just go ape **** on him before it hits the ground.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Teching In

He knows more than what Shamrock knew 12 years ago, and that will be the difference.
I'll agree that he does know more then Ken did 12 years ago, but I think you are discrediting Ken a bit. I just don't agree with you that'll be the difference.
-Thomas
Old 05-02-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

From the 1st UFC to the 59th, me and my closest friends have seen them from the beginning. With that said it really depends on who brings their A game. I've seen Matt Hughes (by far my favorite MMA fighter) put an *** whoppin' on alot of great fighters. He is a freak of nature...! But then see him loose to Penn...I was like WTF? He just wasn't fighting "his" fight and I don't think was mentally there at all. So depending on how they both come in that night and who's on their A game that will be the outcome. Don't underestimate Gracie. He's a very smart fighter that will hit you like a snake if you give him a chance. If Matt doesn't get sloppy and get caught by Gracies increadible submissions he will put the hurt on Royce...Will be an interesting fight for sure...have to go with my boy Hughes.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope Hughes puts him to sleep.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:42 PM
8 Sec Tuner

I don't like violence.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DJ's99SS
I've seen Matt Hughes (by far my favorite MMA fighter) put an *** whoppin' on alot of great fighters. He is a freak of nature...! But then see him loose to Penn...I was like WTF?
I still think that fight was fixed, because right after that fight Penn left for Pride. Either that or Hughes took him really lightly, and from what I heard he didnt train very hard for that fight.

Penn did not impress me with that fight versus St. Pierre. Hughes vs St. Pierre is gonna be a great fight!!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Teching In

I still think that fight was fixed, because right after that fight Penn left for Pride. Either that or Hughes took him really lightly, and from what I heard he didnt train very hard for that fight.

Penn did not impress me with that fight versus St. Pierre. Hughes vs St. Pierre is gonna be a great fight!!
BJ left due to a huge disagreement with Dana just like Tito.
-Thomas
Old 05-02-2006, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

I dont think Mat will be able to ground and pound Gracie. He's just too talented. If anything Gracie will pound Mat on the floor
Old 05-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SleeperZzZ28
I dont think Mat will be able to ground and pound Gracie. He's just too talented. If anything Gracie will pound Mat on the floor
Matt has got the strength to hold Royce down and pound on him. Royce will have have to work very hard for a submission. Royce just isn't strong enough to hold Matt down long enough to pound it out .
-Thomas
Old 05-02-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Matt has got the strength to hold Royce down and pound on him. Royce will have have to work very hard for a submission. Royce just isn't strong enough to hold Matt down long enough to pound it out .
-Thomas
oh what do you know ROYCE
Old 05-02-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by white man
oh what do you know ROYCE
Hope to see ya up at Frank-N-Steins on the 27th, we will have to bet a drink on this one.. Hughes

B
Old 05-02-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Strini SS
Hope to see ya up at Frank-N-Steins on the 27th, we will have to bet a drink on this one.. Hughes

B
good deal, yea i'll be there eailer for this one so i can sit down this time
Old 05-02-2006, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
I don't like violence.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

BJ left due to a huge disagreement with Dana just like Tito.
-Thomas

Thats what I mean it almost sounds as if Penn says I'll leave UFC if I beat Hughes, so White tells Hughes to lose LOL

You never know
Old 05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR

Old 05-02-2006, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

-Thomas
I dont think so, Gracies too talented to get ground and pounded. He'll just hold him close so he cant strike effectively
Old 05-02-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think gracie might still have it. Anyway Im also waiting for ortiz/shamrock 2.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

I got a 100 on hughes winning the fight. It's going to be a boring 3 rounds of hughes getting the take down then staying out of trouble in guard. Basically it's going to be 3 rounds of Hughes's lay and pray...

I think Gracie is to good to just let Hughes pound on him from having him in his guard. But I don't think he's got enough to tap Matt either. So basically it will be a boring fight in which Hughes wins by decision.

And Gracie's last fight ended in a draw because of special rules. He was beat in any other scoring fights by a fighter that came UP a weight class. Gracie is the dirtiest fighter (not fair fighter, not meaning a good fighter). You all should read up on how much he cheated etc (having his corner punch from the side of the cage etc pulling hair) and all the crap he's done over the years.

10 years ago he wins this fight when no one knows what BJJ is...today he gets dominated in the UFC.

Now time for me to head off to BJJ class.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Whiteman- I know nothing about the Mixed Martial Arts world or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in particular.

Sleeper- the Gracies are an extremely talented family and I’m very impressed with their martial art, so much so that it’s something that I train quite frequently through out the course of the week. My only worry is about Matt being strong enough to pin Royce in a bad position against the cage and beating on him from there. If the match stays on the ground and towards the middle of the ring, I’ve got complete confidence in Royce all day long.

-thomas