Plan on buying a sport bike soon, help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006 | 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by obseSSed
I couldn't agree with Tony more.

Is this your first bike? You know the rule, right? You will lay a bike down? Or..there are 2 kinds of people in this world..those that have laid one down and those that will?
I disagree. I've been riding for 21 years and have yet to lay it down. And I ride hard. It's all about the respect for the bike, the road, and your ability.

Overall, buy something that you like. Don't buy a GSXR1000 just because it's the fastest, or everybody has one (like Tony said - all ego). Take your time and look and ride some different bikes. You'll be surprised the fun you can have on less expensive bikes. My wife has a 2002 Suzuki SV650S. I love to ride it because it's light, responsive, and plain fun. It's not nearly as fast as my VFR, but then my VFR isn't as fast as my friend's 'Busa. It's all relative. I'd get in too much trouble with a 'Busa. But, riding the little SV, I can beat the hell out of it and not be going 160+!! And still having fun riding!

One last thing, check the insurance on whatever you consider. If you have any loan, the bank will demand you have full coverage. My buddy was paying $2,400 a year on his GSXR1000!! Not worth it!!! The full coverage on my VFR is $568/year and I'm contemplating dropping full coverage since I keep it garaged and ride for fun.

Good luck!!
Old 08-15-2006 | 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Im not saying that, im saying that H-D riders wearing no gear cause just as much danger to the driving public as squids. Most H-D/Cruiser riders are middle aged men who drink and drive, do not take driving courses, and feel just cause the drive slower they do not have to wear the protective gear. We have a bar here in town that is always filled with H-D riders, not saying SB riders dont ever do that but I hardley ever see a guy in SB leathers and helmet sitting at the bar at Hooters.
Just drop it, you sound retarded with your rationalizing. Saying that accidents are caused due to not wearing gear is just plain ignorant. Could it happen? Sure. You make it sound like it always happens. I'll bet I've seen more sport bike riders popping wheelies this week (twice) than cruisers losing control due to a bug hitting them (never). Not all sportbike riders wear gear, not all cruisers wear gear, so it's a mute point.

As for alcohol, 50% of ALL bike accidents involve alcohol. If 40% of those accidents are sportbikes, that also means they drink too. And, you know that these assclowns like to pop even more wheelies and drive much faster after a few drinks.
Old 08-15-2006 | 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

I went to a dealer that sold all makes, im on the Polaris plan on my Suzuki, I have Liablity with Theft and pay around $35 a month. But whatever you do make sure you get an alarm and Lojack, tons of MF'ers like to steal these things, and they are getting braver and braver, read a story where a guy got kicked off his bike at a red light and they stole his bike.
Old 08-15-2006 | 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

i like the suggestion for the RC51... v-twins FTW... Take a ride on a v-twin, either a new RC51 or a used TL1000R (Suzuki stopped making them in 2003).... i'm telling you, you will fall in love... The TL-R is more powerful than the RC51, but doesnt handle quite as well in stock form (the rear shock is pretty cruddy)....
Twins are heavier than I4s and don't have as much in a straight line, but they just have something about them - so much character, and sooo soo soo much snaught - there's massive torque everwhere .. starting at 3K rpms and runnign the whole way to redline..... if i were to buy another bike, i'd buy an R1 (i think the tail of the Gixxer is hideous looking) but i dont think i would sell the TL-R... its just soo much fun and i've read about millions of guys saying they wish they woudl have never sold their TL for a new litre bike. It wasn't as fast, but just so much more fun...

I didnt read every single response, but i say go out and try to ride as many as you can... friends, relatives, dealerships that will let you take one out... w/e it takes.. and then decide on what you think feels best. Remember too, you're gonna get used to some of the power, so if something feels just right when you test it out, you'll get used to it and wish you had more late on...

simple: be responsible with ur right wrist until you get better and get used to the bike, and you'll be fine....
Old 08-15-2006 | 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

There are more cruisers on the road then sportbikes, more cruiser when they crash end up in a fatality due to not wearing the proper gear. More middle age men are driving without proper training, without common sense (like drinking and driving like they do in there cars) and without proper gear, that is all im saying. I guess what im really saying is there are less squids then ignorant cruisers on the road.
Old 08-15-2006 | 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

oh, and to the point about the financing...
not all companies make you carry full insurance when financing a motorcycle...
Simple reason... when you finance a motorcycle through suzuki or yamaha or w/e, you just simple buy the bike on a credit card... A credit union or bank makes you have full coverage b/c the laon you take is considered secured debt. you screw up, and ur debt is secured by the vehicle you own. thus, you screw up and wreck it, then the car can be repaired and they can get some of their investment back...
if you buy through suzuki, its on a credit card (like i said)... thus its unsecured debt.. they could care less if you smash the bike and it gets destoryed... you still have that total on ur credit card and its like any other credit card balance. They'll come get you somehow - and new bankruptcy laws won't get you out of it anymore.
Old 08-15-2006 | 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

As for alcohol, 50% of ALL bike accidents involve alcohol. If 40% of those accidents are sportbikes, that also means they drink too.
i hightly doubt this ... i'm not gonna call you a liar, but unless you have some sort of actuarial proof of this, i say its b.s.
Old 08-15-2006 | 11:04 AM
Teching In

Here is a local board for majority of SS riders, if you want an answer any of your questions.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/
Old 08-15-2006 | 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hyde
They are all fast and turbos arent that expensive...lol...Hyde
LOL
i know someone with a turbo gsxr600.... makes me really wanna turbo my TL-R
Old 08-15-2006 | 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
i hightly doubt this ... i'm not gonna call you a liar, but unless you have some sort of actuarial proof of this, i say its b.s.
Okay, it was a little off. I was going by memory. The actual stat is 46% of all riders killed in a bike accident involved alcohol.

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Alcohol_Awareness.pdf
Old 08-15-2006 | 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

BTW, good info at the MSF website.

http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm...gename=Library
Old 08-15-2006 | 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Okay, it was a little off. I was going by memory. The actual stat is 46% of all riders killed in a bike accident involved alcohol.

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Alcohol_Awareness.pdf
okay, i could argue violently with that, because being an actuary, i know that you can twist stats in any direction you want, but.................. i got ur point.
Old 08-15-2006 | 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

and one more thing on the MSF, i believe that its a horrible thing right now. I didnt go through MSF, but i know several ppl that have, and i was at one of the sessions with my one good buddy.... and that program lets a rediculous amount of ppl out on the road with motorcycle licenses... ppl that probably shouldn't be driving cars, nonetheless motorcycles.

here in PA you have to do two complete figure 8's in a box to pass under the normal test (among several other things - but i think this is what fails most ppl).. if you so much as put your foot down, you fail... with the MSF course ppl stall the bike, do all kinds of crazy crap and still pass...

nice vehicles btw Nineball - damn, u have good taste... - i envy that garage

Last edited by SonofaBish; 08-15-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2006 | 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
and one more thing on the MSF, i believe that its a horrible thing right now. I didnt go through MSF, but i know several ppl that have, and i was at one of the sessions with my one good buddy.... and that program lets a rediculous amount of ppl out on the road with motorcycle licenses... ppl that probably shouldn't be driving cars, nonetheless motorcycles.

here in PA you have to do two complete figure 8's in a box to pass under the normal test (among several other things - but i think this is what fails most ppl).. if you so much as put your foot down, you fail... with the MSF course ppl stall the bike, do all kinds of crazy crap and still pass...

nice vehicles btw Nineball - damn, u have good taste... - i envy that garage
I have to agree with you on the MSF course. I have been riding for years, but I went anyways because my wife wanted her license and we figured the MSF course would be good. While it did offer some good points, I found that they passed just about everybody. Only one guy didn't pass and he was a real idiot!! Dropped the bike like four times, went so slow through the course that other riders almost ran into him. Just terrible. But, the fools that passed?!? OMFG!! Retards!! One moron still couldn't figure out how the throttle works and wheelied twice on the course. I don't know how he didn't wreck or fail the course. It's scary the people they pass.

Brian
Old 08-15-2006 | 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I always tried to get my knee on the ground during the MSF course I took Mialdin here
Old 08-15-2006 | 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've ridden bikes for years, and have had a few different street bikes. I currently ride a Gix1K, and I love it. Not so much for the "ego" factor, or being "cool" because I have a bike. I ride it DAILY to and from work, sun snow rain or hail, I'm on the bike. I went with the 1K for nothing more than the tq curve. Its ungodly insane, and theres not a feeling in the world that can relate to it. 600s are fun, and theyre even more fun in the curves because theyre not as violent, but I like to drag race around a bit, and I have fun hangin it all out on a wheelie, so it was the choice for me.
Old 08-15-2006 | 01:19 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

What a read. GSXR100O by the way!
Old 08-15-2006 | 10:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

I'm going looking tomorrow after work.

Insurance, Suzuki doesn't require you to have full coverage. I've been told they will let you drive off with the bike without any coverage at all. It is up to you to purchase a policy, just make sure to mention if they don't ask that Suzuki doesn't require full coverage.

The buddy I mentioned who got the Busa is no where close to being 50% done with the payments and has liability. He chose to do the option PIP (personal injury protection) for passenger's, not himself. He too stated that if you have health/medical insurance, its kind of a waste to buy this extra insurance. Other than that, that's it.

I called around to a couple of place to get quotes, including my currently policy holder for the truck and my father's car and they quoted me $124 + $20 policy fee for a total of $144 a year. That is with liability only, with my father being the primary driver and myself as the secondary. We will both be covered. How does that sound?
Old 08-16-2006 | 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Drag, shoot me a PM, I have one hell of an insurance agent when it comes to bikes...
Old 08-16-2006 | 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Everyone here has already covered so much information and grounds. Tony and jmilz28 truly had all the valid points threw these posts.

I believe Tony is just trying to warn you and look out for your safety as by what you have said leads others to believe your not going to be safe for your own sake on the back of a bike. jmilz28 posted all the right info as I was reading to post up myself. And those assclowns he speaks, a lot of them are on some of the cycle forums. It shows in their stories and pictures.

That info on the gear for 600.00 was also inaccurate. Prices give or take on them various manufactures and types so they vary.

Helmets (dot approved for the current year) 200.00
Gloves 150.00
Boots 130.00
Jacket (leather, not mesh) 600.00
Armor (spine back protector) 100.00

Bikes insurance policy so long as you have more then 60% of the bike paid off you can get liability. Which Pete at State Farm can get you a quote quick as hell. If you need his info pm me.

Liability was roughly 128.00 for the year.
Full coverage was roughly 1,200.00 / year, with added coverage up to 25k in parts/mods.

In all honesty this topic went way off what was asked, but also a good thing. It shows people here care about your safety and hope you don’t do stunts, stupid ****, etc.

As much as people say they will not mod, we all do. Especially on the cars, same goes for the bike. Well Gixers have every mod known to man. Being an R1 owner makes it a bit harder to get kits so everything is new grounds.

Drop me a line once you get your bike, Ill be able to go out rideing in about 2 weeks time.

-Best of luck to you
-J

Last edited by XxNaSDaQxX; 08-16-2006 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Plan on buying a sport bike soon, help me decide.