To any students/graduates/insturctors of S.A.M racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To any students/graduates/insturctors of S.A.M racing

I'm 17, a senior in high school, and debating on whether i should..
1. go to college, and get a degree in mechanical engineering ( i dicked around too much so ill be at community for gen-ed for atleast a year), then go to S.A.M.

2. Go to S.A.M right out of high school in the up coming fall.

3. Or go to UTI or wyotech. (also, what are your views on this school compared to S.A.M?)

My main question is how much can i expect to make out of sam in that field, in about 3-5 years. i was thinkin in the ball park of $60k, but i was looking more accurate numbers, so if anyone could give me a more accurate number, i would greatly appreciate it.

I'm on this site alot, and i figure you guys would know what your talking about.
thanks -
Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Mechanical engineers make more money than mechanics and machinists.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Joe went to sam in 99 and graduated in 00. He started at UTI and from experience you will learn alot more at SAM. Judson is one of the best instructors who will teach you both fundamentals as well as life. Joe and I opened T56Rebuilds last year and have been very luck with what we have. I tell everyone who asks it is one of the best schools out there. 9mth Courses is all it takes. I will not disclose what we make here but when he was at RSI his income was over $60,000 within 2 years of graduating but that is not a machine shop. Hope this helps and yes Sam is worth every penny.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
Old 10-17-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a mechanical degree. While 60k may seem like plenty, in reality, its not much at all.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I work for SAM and I am doing/done both. I am currently in the middle of finishing my Mechanical Engineering degree and I have gone through the programs at SAM. I would definitely not trade the experience and knowledge for the world. The thing is how you go out and use it. You must practice a TON to get out your money from the school. We are hands on people and we want you to be able to talk the talk and walk the walk. Ask the people who own companies like HPE, LME, HKE, etc. who are graduates. They can give you some good advice.

I suggest if you would like, take a tour down here and see how you like the courses. You can sit in on the class, see how Judson teaches and then see how the machine shop area is. Then if you decide to try out college and you still hate it, you can still try and come back down here. When I get home tonight, I will add more later. If you want too, either PM your name, address, etc and I will send you a packet with information.

BP and Turbo'd - I know exactly where you are coming from, but trust me, the money our guys get for machining is more then just something you see out at Napa or something like that. I know plenty of guys out of here that do VERY well for themselves. But they worked VERY hard for that and can not take that away from them, but the School opened the doors for them.

Regards,

Gray
www.SAMracing.com

BTW Amber and Joe, Call me sometime tomorrow, I would like Joe to come check out this motor before any machining starts on it.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
Get a mechanical degree. While 60k may seem like plenty, in reality, its not much at all.
says the millionare nurse...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

i am really looking at this school as well, i have pmed you before big bronco... I am coming home from iraq in the next weekk or so on mid tour leave i am gonna have to come by and take a tour
Old 10-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input guys. After talking w/ my teacher here at school, i think i am going to go get the engineering degree, then go to S.A.M after that. I'm really looking to go to S.A.M for all of the knowledge, doing it for a living is still a possibility, but im REALLY interested for the knowledge on how to do everything for myself.

Thanks again for all your answers.
- mike
Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Launching!

i would have to say #1
Old 10-17-2006, 08:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

long term potential? Mechanical Engineering, if you can handle it. That means a few years of no social life, studying all day and night, and getting things done. But, when you get out, the rewards are well worth the effort.

SAM vs UTI, definitely SAM. It is far more specialized and focuses only on high performance and racing.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is interesting...call me dumb but i never have looked into these types of schools and thus have never heard of SAM. I am really wanting to get more hands on training myself as I am a M.E. sophomore and am so tired of math already. This might be something to look into...