Civil Service Exam

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civil Service Exam

Sup guys,

I am going to be taking the City of Houston Civil Service Exam tommorow morning, in the effort to join HPD. Has anyone taken the/ a civil service exam? I heard it is fairly simple, its only 30 multiple choice questions, and you have liek 2.5 hrs to do it in. Any thoughts?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

pretty easy stuff, they just try to weed out the ones who can't read and write....but they do take the higher scores

I hear DPD has a $10,000.00 signing bonus
Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Just like MESS said, it's very easy/basic reading, writing, math type stuff. Very simple test, so don't worry too much about it man.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

ive taken civil service tests for fire dept and they were easy, mine have taken anywhere from 1.5-2 hours, 100?'s.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

HPD has a 7K bonus. DPD has the the 3rd highest crime rate in the US. My Fiance is from Dallas, but we are staying here, we already have a house. A buddy of mine graduated with me from A&M, and he wont go to DPD, instead hed rather install AC systems fo his dad, he tried selling life insurance too. I swear some people just arent that self motivated. A PD job has a ton of perks and security. Thanks for the info man.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

HPD is a great place to work...i may be the third generation of family that will work there, (grand uncle worked there, my dad is still there, mom is retired from there, and possibly me once i graduate A&M). you are very correct, HPD may not have the best salary but the benefits are outstanding, and most of the people are great to be around. as far as the test goes, i have heard it is very basic and not all that challenging. good luck in your career and keep us up to date! o, and gigem...what was your major? -Karl M.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I majored in Ag Life Science, with a minor in Business. Im also a 2LT in the Army Reserve. So I hope the hiring process wont be more than a month for me, I want to get into the system and start the training academy ASAP.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

You already have an advantage. You get points on the exam just for being in the millitary. The test is easy but if you want to get an idea at what type of questions are on there you can go to a book store and get a civil service exam prep book.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man. Im taking it tommorow, I'll just roll the dice, it cant be that difficult.

Does anyone know how much time it takes to get into the training academy, once you have passed your exam? I heard that it can take as long as 3 months, or as fast as 3 weeks. I need it to be 3-4 weeks, so that I can finish the 6 month academy b4 I leave for military duty.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man. Im taking it tommorow, I'll just roll the dice, it cant be that difficult.

Does anyone know how much time it takes to get into the training academy, once you have passed your exam? I heard that it can take as long as 3 months, or as fast as 3 weeks. I need it to be 3-4 weeks, so that I can finish the 6 month academy before the end of the year.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER

Does anyone know how much time it takes to get into the training academy, once you have passed your exam? I heard that it can take as long as 3 months, or as fast as 3 weeks. I need it to be 3-4 weeks, so that I can finish the 6 month academy b4 I leave for military duty.

Once you complete the exam then the take the top highest scores to be evaluated first. The background may take a while depending on the Investigator, Be prepared that you will probably taking the test at the George R Brown with about 500 other applicants from other states and cities. Keep in mind that your military Experience does give you an advantage. but your also competeing with other officers from other agencies with at least 5 years law enforcement experience. Once you make the exam cut then you will be contacted by the recruiter and given a date for your physical agility test with is fairly easy. the only problem that some face is jumping over the 6ft wall they have. Once thats complete then you will be contacted again and given the official application packet and date for the oral review board. While doing all this the investigator should be already conducting your background check. HPD is in desperate need of officers so dont be surprised if it goes faster than what you think 4 -6 months. Hiring in about 3-4 weeks has never happend in HPD. Being that you are scheduled to leave for the military they may hold on to your application until you return. They may not want to send you to the academy and train you just to leave them in a few months. HPD is looking for people that they can put on the streets as patrol units and keep them there. Good luck on your test...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Good luck to ya!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Good Luck Big Brother!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just took the test. If I actually missed one songle question I will be shocked. I was told that I can find out about my score in a month. I doubt I will be going to the June 23rd Academy, that is 3 weeks after my score is released to me.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats...i did an internship with them this past summer and i must say, the hiring process took forever! but now whenever background checks are run on me for part time job applications, they come back very quickly; not sure if its related but im talkin sameday turnaround.

hopefully you will get through in time but theres no tellin...
Old 04-17-2007, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER
Just took the test. If I actually missed one songle question I will be shocked. I was told that I can find out about my score in a month. I doubt I will be going to the June 23rd Academy, that is 3 weeks after my score is released to me.

The civil service test is a joke. I took it for HFD and I got a 98. I don't know what question I missed (I will blame it on my pencil). I had to ask my recruiter what I made, they didn't offer that info to me. After taking mine, three months later I was in the Academy. Congrats and good luck to ya!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck in your career choice--job security up the ying yang!!

FYI, the 7K bonus is for lateral entry Ofc's ONLY. Second, HPD has had 3 Lateral classes since 03/06, and the biggest class was only 24, hence, I have heard they are putting Lats on hold until they can fill a class (72).

As stated earlier, backgrounds inv's can last up to 6mos.

Good luck, PM me if u need any info....

FYI, The Dallas PD sign on bonus of 10K is for ANY applicant, something to think about....although they pay a lot more for health than HPD.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

It will help that he is a Texas Commissioned Security Guard Level III handgun, because alot of background checks were already run.

Just a thought.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SHINER
It will help that he is a Texas Commissioned Security Guard Level III handgun, because alot of background checks were already run.

Just a thought.
They wont care, theyll start from square one as they do with Ofc from other agencies....

Quick Reply: Civil Service Exam