Thinking about purchasing a VW TDI Jetta. New or used?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thinking about purchasing a VW TDI Jetta. New or used?

I'm starting a new job on the 18th, which is 2 Mondays away. The drive is exactly 19.7 miles one way, so I'm looking into getting an economical car. A Prius and Corolla are out of the question. Jetta is the most stylish economical car in my opinion, so this is what I want.

My question is, should I purchase a new model or used? It must be the TDI version as that's the one that gets the mileage.

How's the resale value?

Any known common problems?

Anything I should be aware of before purchasing?

Any reason I shouldn't even consider a TDI Jetta?

If there's anything else that you would like to share about them, please feel free.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Other than its a ****** foreign car I dont havent heard any complaints. One of my guys here has one and loves it. Of course he has the Rainbow Coalition stickers all over it. Though you know the resale value sucks.

225-343-9029
Old 06-06-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy I work with has an '07. It's very comfortable, roomy, and gets great mileage. We drove to Dallas in it (along with about 400 lbs of server gear) and didn't have to fill up until we were almost back to Houston. If I were in the market, it would be very high on my list of considerations.

Since I'm not in the market, I haven't done any more research.

-Mike
Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, depends, what's your budget?

do you HAVE to have a Jetta?

Are you lookin' for pure fuel ecomony?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Of course he has the Rainbow Coalition stickers all over it.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Diesel is cheaper than unleaded right now...tends to be pretty stable over the long haul. I like the cars personally...I could haller at that.

Then again, if gas were to go cheap again (doubtful...I know), you could buy unleaded for 79 cents a gallon and diesel if I remember correctly was still well into the upper $1.xx's.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats not a terrible commute, only 40 miles round trip, your going to pay a premium for a TDI, my buddy wants one to daily driver, the diesel is a 4K option on those cars. I had the same commute as you in my 04 Blazer, it got 17-18MPG, that kinda sucked. But honestly if you had some thing that could get you mid 30s, you would be fine. Look at a Saturn Ion, get a 4 door base model for under $15K, gets mid 30s on the freeway.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club NA

MADMAN, my father has a foreign car (Accord) and is very pleased with it. The best he's gotten with pure highway miles was 36. I don't see the problem in having a foreign car, but then again, I've never had my fair share of both of them. I've always had Chevys. I didn't realize the resale value was bad. Why?

Splitz, I don't necessarily have a budget. Of course I would like a new one, but in this case, I don't have to have a new one. This will be a purely work car. I was wondering if it was a bad idea to purchase a used one. I don't have to have a Jetta, but I was pretty set on it. Why do you ask? I know its not the number 1 most economical car, but it is up there while stylish at the same time.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
MADMAN, my father has a foreign car (Accord) and is very pleased with it. The best he's gotten with pure highway miles was 36. I don't see the problem in having a foreign car, but then again, I've never had my fair share of both of them. I've always had Chevys. I didn't realize the resale value was bad. Why?

Splitz, I don't necessarily have a budget. Of course I would like a new one, but in this case, I don't have to have a new one. This will be a purely work car. I was wondering if it was a bad idea to purchase a used one. I don't have to have a Jetta, but I was pretty set on it. Why do you ask? I know its not the number 1 most economical car, but it is up there while stylish at the same time.
If its justt round trip to work, why not get a smaller bike than your 1000? 600 easily gets better than the Jetta. And you can get a used bike for WAY less than the jetta.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Texas Director

Are you going to be selling another vehicle to buy this VW? If not, you're going to spend several thousand bucks on a used car or $20K plus on a new car just to save a few dollars on gas? You would come out money ahead by continuing to drive what you currently have and getting a little worse gas mileage versus buying another car. Can you grasp that?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They didn't have TDI in 07, they had them in 06, those are mid $20K if you can find one, new ION would be like $15K, gets mid 30s.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:02 PM
LS7 Member

My sister has a jetta non tdi and it's a pretty nice little car. The steering is surprisingly firm and responsive and the doors sound really solid when you close them. It rides smooth and quiet. Well built for sure.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

TDI has a diesel option? Doesn't TDI stand for like turbo diesel ...injection maybe? The Jetta TDI is a diesel...

I have seen a high resale value on them recently. You get like 50mpg on the highway.

I had a gas powered 94 Jetta for awhile and consistantly got 26mpg highway/city. Highway only, I got more around 36. I only paid $800 for the car also .
Old 06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mmiller
Can you grasp that?
Lets stay on topic, thanks.

Get a saturn, cheaper and gets great gas mileage.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

One of my co-workers just bought a brand new TDI Jetta last week, really a nice car and he's been getting 47mpg on his commute to work. Then again he drives from Navasota to the Memorial area everyday for work, so it was justified in him picking it up over his Silverado that he's been driving.

The resale on the TDI's is much higher than that of the gas Jetta's, at least it was when I was looking at them a few months ago. If you can get past the VW part of the equation, it's not a bad car (again, aside from being a VW, which has been pretty hit-or-miss in quality the last few years).

Tom
Old 06-06-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragaholic

Well, then it purley comes down what you want. There are plenty of "economical" cars out there, then looks will make the final decision.

I've heard that they are a pain in the *** to repair and costs are astronomical. But every car manufacture has their "Friday Night POS" build.

I personally wouldn't buy them. Not becuase their foreign. I beleive you can find the SAME "style" that your looking for in GM or Chrysler and perhaps not have the premium attached to them.

And if it's a true daily, does it matter what it "looks" like?? Y"ou need to decide how important looks vs. economy are. And of course, you need to set a budget because car dealers will thrive on if they think that you don't know HOW much you want to spend on a vehicle!.

Just my .02!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

15mpg vs. 30mpg and $3.00/gallon means to break even on the cost of a $15,000 car would take roughly 10.25 years. Doesn't make much sense there.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

pdanrichey, if the gas does drop dramatically which as you stated probably not gona happen, then hopefully the diesel will drop too, staying below gas.

BizZzatch350, I know 40 miles round trip isn't too terribly bad, I guess I'm just used to my 10 mile round trip. I hate to put all those miles on my haulin' truck. A TDI is a diesel, I didn't realize diesels were an option.

GusZ28, I don't want another bike, not right now at least. If I ever got another one, its going to be a cruiser. I've gotten 47 mpg on the 1000 before.

mmiller, no, I'm definitely keeping the Duramax and the Camaro. I am selling the bike, but I don't think car dealerships do trades with bikes. I see you're point though in spending several to save a few. I have been wanting another car though and an economical one at that. The Duramax could be the weekend vehicle, the Camaro can be the racecar, and the VW can be the work car.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good point Brains!

Never thought of it like that.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Beginning of the year, Diesel was up near $3 a gallon. Gas however, was down near $2.

I wouldn't just buy a car specifically to save gas, otherwise, you're spending a lot of money up front to save a little money down the road. That bike should get good gas mileage

I bet you can get $10k for the bike...then use all that money to buy a car outright...like a Saturn, Honduh or an older Jetta, etc.