Damn army people called me..

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah so what about those fucked up recruiters?

Forced 2 years in military? Ok Fidel thats just a bad idea. This is America, not some comi country where you have no say in what you do. Why not make everyone mow lawns and do construction work for 6 months.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by osvaldo

Forced 2 years in military? Ok Fidel thats just a bad idea. This is America, not some comi country where you have no say in what you do. Why not make everyone mow lawns and do construction work for 6 months.
I'm a veteran, I enlisted and did 4 years in the Army. This is The United States of America and I think all of our citizens should do mandatory military service. Most peolpe here especially young people have no idea why we are the best country in the world and what it's like to live in another country. If military service were mandatory this country wouldn't be where it is today. To many people today have no respect for the country they live in.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
I'm a veteran, I enlisted and did 4 years in the Army. This is The United States of America and I think all of our citizens should do mandatory military service. Most peolpe here especially young people have no idea why we are the best country in the world and what it's like to live in another country. If military service were mandatory this country wouldn't be where it is today. To many people today have no respect for the country they live in.
I respect anyone and everyone in the armed forces, i have several friends that are in the marines, navy, and army right now. But serving in the military is not for everyone. All my friends went because they wanted to, i didnt because i dont wan to, its not for me. I think everyone should decide for themselves thats all.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

In germany if you cant serve in the military or just dont want to - they have other government services to work for.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

I think mandatory service is a good idea but at the same time i dont want anyone covering my *** that dont want or care to be there
Old 07-06-2007, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

I am just amazed at the sheer amount of our youth that is absolutely unwilling to step up to the plate. I admire the cultures where boys are raised as warriors and going to war is a badge of honor.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by osvaldo

Is it really that bad of an idea? Besides, what 18 year old knows what they are going to do for the rest of their life anyway? If you love it here, why not defend your way of life? You will have a say in what you do, just after 2 years of service. At least its not China where if you are a male you are enlisted for life (hence the size of their Army).

Your comparison of making people mow lawns or construction is WAY off target. We are not talking about the government throwing you into a job here. This is national defense, it is slightly different than picking up lawn clippings. And when you enlist, you can choose what you want to do.

What the hell is so bad about serving your country?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Fiery Features Director

If we start forcing people to do things against their will, then we are no better than most of the other countries that we are fighting against. The main part of the United States is our freedom so exactly what would we be fighting for if they take that away?

Some kids don't have the same opportunities as others. If you can't afford college and the military sounds like something you would be interested in, then great. I think we should allow everyone to make their lives what they want them to be.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zangel
If we start forcing people to do things against their will, then we are no better than most of the other countries that we are fighting against. The main part of the United States is our freedom so exactly what would we be fighting for if they take that away?

Its not forcing people to do anything, its making a sacrifice for the greater good. There are plenty of people in other countries that don't want to join the military, but whats 2 years when you are 18?

What freedoms do we have left anyway? Freedom of speech? Bullshit. While we do enjoy other freedoms that other countries do not, has anyone looked at the current state we are in? You gotta watch what you say, because nobody wants to be offended. You gotta watch what you eat, or the government will tell you what to eat (See New Yorks new law on fried food here ). I am all for the Idea of America, but I think we are further away from that now more than ever. Decisions are made for you everyday, but we dont like to hear about that so long as we can sit on our couches and watch people kick the **** out of each other (UFC, not the news).
Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its two years of your life, look back at the last two years of your life, think about all the things you've done/experienced, would you be happy if you missed all that? I dont know about most people, but after high school, i had a job i was very happy with, i loved the college experience, and i bought a bad *** car, and met a bad *** girl. So I'd be pretty pissed if i was in some military job that i didnt want to do and missed all that.
And be honest, you enroll, and you really dont have a free will to do the job you want. They give you a few options, only a handful of which are decent, and say, "Here. Pick one."
Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by DSIM
Its not forcing people to do anything, its making a sacrifice for the greater good. There are plenty of people in other countries that don't want to join the military, but whats 2 years when you are 18?
Well, for me 2 years was the world when I was 18. I had my son when I was 18 and taking the first 2 years of his life away from me doesn't seem like such a good idea. You want a sure fire way to **** people off, that would do it! Some 18 y/o's have great opportunities that could not be offered in the military. Not all 18 y/o kids come out of High school and sit on their butt's playing video games. I have seen some very bright kids graduate and go off to obtain a high level education and now are wonderful doctors, and engineers for NASA. Had they been forced into the military they might not have received the same opportunity.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:02 PM
SCRWS6

then again maybe some kids who are in jail, dealing drugs/addicted to drugs/ never left the couch committed no bigger crime than gain 300 pds sitting on his butt for two years after highschool could have maybe had an awakening to a world bigger than his/her Xbox....but no matter how you look at it someone is gonna have a different opinion, you could die today on the freeway or tomorrow in a Blackhawk, would either one stop you leaving the house and going to do what you set out to in the first place?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some kids don't have the same opportunities as others. If you can't afford college and the military sounds like something you would be interested in, then great. I think we should allow everyone to make their lives what they want them to be.
exactly.

yes, there are some people that have made something out of their lives, and there are some that have become drug addicts/criminals, etc. but that's the great thing about this country, and what our country was founded upon.....we all get to choose for ourselves the path we take in life.

if you take that choice away from us, even for 2 years, it's no better than any of the other countries where people don't have any say in what they do. sure, it may start with 2 years. then what? 3? 4? then 5? then 10? when does it stop?

i can see both sides of this argument, and i have clearly stated where i stand on the issue.

the whole point i was trying to make is that if this govt. tries to do something like that, it will be the end of the U.S. as we know it. it will cause Civil War II.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't look at it as forcing people to do something against their will.

I look at it as EARNING the right to be free, and teaching the current and future generations about responsibility, and chain of command, and RESPECT. It would be a good thing, although with the current state of this country, and the entitlement, selfish, me first attitude shared by the majority of its citizens, the logistical and political hurdles would be too much to overcome without an attack on our own soil driving the decision.

"For those who have fought for it. FREEDOM has a taste the protected will never know"
Old 07-06-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gipraw
I don't look at it as forcing people to do something against their will.

I look at it as EARNING the right to be free, and teaching the current and future generations about responsibility, and chain of command, and RESPECT. It would be a good thing, although with the current state of this country, and the entitlement, selfish, me first attitude shared by the majority of its citizens, the logistical and political hurdles would be too much to overcome without an attack on our own soil driving the decision.

"For those who have fought for it. FREEDOM has a taste the protected will never know"

Could not have said it better myself.

Although, we did have the attack on our own soil. And for the FIRST TIME IN HISTORY America was sold out of American flags. Where did that patriotism go????????
Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Well, for me 2 years was the world when I was 18. I had my son when I was 18 and taking the first 2 years of his life away from me doesn't seem like such a good idea. You want a sure fire way to **** people off, that would do it! Some 18 y/o's have great opportunities that could not be offered in the military. Not all 18 y/o kids come out of High school and sit on their butt's playing video games. I have seen some very bright kids graduate and go off to obtain a high level education and now are wonderful doctors, and engineers for NASA. Had they been forced into the military they might not have received the same opportunity.
Do you like living here? Then earn the right to live here, defend the freedoms you have, someone else did it for you. If everybody felt like you do this place would really be screwed up. What would of happened 200 years ago if people thought the way you do now? Think about it, someone had to sacrifice for you to be where you are now. The welfare of the many is more important than the welfare of one. You are selfish, all you have said is me, me, me. Contrary to what you might think this country isn't all about you.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Fiery Features Director

You can't teach someone by making a law that requires them to do something that they don't want to do. By forcing people to go to war, they will ultimately turn against this country.... not learn to love it and respect it. Since we are making all of these laws "for their own good" why don't we make other laws that require everyone to speak English since that is the "official language" of America. We should throw anyone speaking another language into jail so they can learn to respect our ways. I don't think anyone who is on welfare is being very responsible. We should just take all of that away so they can learn to take care of themselves and if they don't make it .... oh well, not our problem! You have to earn your own money to make it in this country. Not everyone does their part, but why is that just cause to punish everyone? So, because one person goes into a school and shoots it up, does that mean we should make all guns illegal? In order to solve the illegal drug problem in the US, should we require all citizens to sign up for a drug program once a year? Obviously that sounds ridiculous. Just because people don't sign up to be in the military doesn't mean they don't respect this country and haven't earned the right to be here. Some people volunteer to help the homeless, some people donate to the local children's hospital, some people go to college and become doctors, some people go into the military and fight our wars, some people go into office to make our laws, some people become police officers to protect our citizens, some people become teachers to teach our children. Most people do their part because they respect this country and work to protect our freedoms in different ways. Some people just don't care and do take advantage of the system. You can't change that no matter what you do... making people sign up for the military would only add fuel to the fire.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

You can't teach someone by making a law that requires them to do something that they don't want to do.
Are you sure about that? What about public school? That is mandatory. Look how many people dont want to go to school. There are also some parents out there that would rather thier kids work instead of go to school.
Are you saying we should do away with public school?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

If we start forcing people to do things against their will, then we are no better than most of the other countries that we are fighting against.

So I guess we were no better then the axis powers during WW1 and WW2 then since we had a mandatory draft at the time. Try telling those veterans or their families we were no better than the enemy back then.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

You can't teach someone by making a law that requires them to do something that they don't want to do. By forcing people to go to war, they will ultimately turn against this country.... not learn to love it and respect it. Since we are making all of these laws "for their own good" why don't we make other laws that require everyone to speak English since that is the "official language" of America. We should throw anyone speaking another language into jail so they can learn to respect our ways. I don't think anyone who is on welfare is being very responsible. We should just take all of that away so they can learn to take care of themselves and if they don't make it .... oh well, not our problem! You have to earn your own money to make it in this country. Not everyone does their part, but why is that just cause to punish everyone? So, because one person goes into a school and shoots it up, does that mean we should make all guns illegal? In order to solve the illegal drug problem in the US, should we require all citizens to sign up for a drug program once a year? Obviously that sounds ridiculous. Just because people don't sign up to be in the military doesn't mean they don't respect this country and haven't earned the right to be here. Some people volunteer to help the homeless, some people donate to the local children's hospital, some people go to college and become doctors, some people go into the military and fight our wars, some people go into office to make our laws, some people become police officers to protect our citizens, some people become teachers to teach our children. Most people do their part because they respect this country and work to protect our freedoms in different ways. Some people just don't care and do take advantage of the system. You can't change that no matter what you do... making people sign up for the military would only add fuel to the fire.
I'm done with this you will never understand. Don't worry about it thought, I did my service so that others like you can think and act the way you choose to. I did my part.