BE CAREFUL: Hijacked bank account!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BE CAREFUL: Hijacked bank account!!

Someone apparently tried to get into my bank account...or technically did. I received an email from Bank of America stating that there was irregular activity in my bank account on the 4th and that they would be putting it on hold until I contact them. I looked at my account online and sure enough, the alert was there and so was a peculiar transaction. I live in Baytown right outside of Houston and someone used my card for $1.14 in Dennis (up around Ft. Worth). I guess they did it for a small amount just to see if it would work and then they would charge out the ***. Luckily it was caught early...at least I hope it was. The crappy part is that I won't have a debit card for about a week and a half. So check your bank account and emails. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I use my card for just about everything. How are these fu%&ers able to do this crap?

-Joshua

Edit: Oh yeah, the charge was listed as this:

Checkcard 07/04 STEPHEN S MCCONNEL PC EAST DENNIS, TX

Last edited by joshua32; 07-05-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Been there done that. Except I was charged close to $500 in numerous random charges.

Good thing your bank has a good hold of it
Old 07-05-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That crap worries me to death .. be grateful it wasn't any worse.

I had my card stolen a couple years back, everything was chaos for about a week..
Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Someone bought $5000 worth of machinery with my moms account and sent it to nigeria. The nigeria scam is one of the largest in the country. My mom had the FBI calling her trying to investigate it.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Good catch on their part. I work for a big bank and please ALWAYS be careful where you use your card at.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Ginger Hater

thats one of the only things that i like a/b BofA, someone stole one of my bank cards and i found out about it days later, BofA was on the ball and had the money back in my acct by the end of the day.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua32
Someone apparently tried to get into my bank account...or technically did. I received an email from Bank of America stating that there was irregular activity in my bank account on the 4th and that they would be putting it on hold until I contact them. I looked at my account online and sure enough, the alert was there and so was a peculiar transaction. I live in Baytown right outside of Houston and someone used my card for $1.14 in Dennis (up around Ft. Worth). I guess they did it for a small amount just to see if it would work and then they would charge out the ***. Luckily it was caught early...at least I hope it was. The crappy part is that I won't have a debit card for about a week and a half. So check your bank account and emails. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I use my card for just about everything. How are these fu%&ers able to do this crap?

-Joshua

Edit: Oh yeah, the charge was listed as this:

Checkcard 07/04 STEPHEN S MCCONNEL PC EAST DENNIS, TX

please tell me you accessed your bank account online via your normal means, and not a link that was presented in the email?

if you clicked on a link in the email, that site could be totally spoofed, and just a ruse to get you to enter your username/password, so they can REALLY access your account and ransack it.

if you did access it via your normal means, then never mind. but at least this is here now for those who may read it, and will keep them from making that mistake.

bottom line for anyone reading: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER click on a link in an email from any bank or other institution that emails you to say your account is on hold or whatever. access the account the same way you always do, instead.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Someone went to town on my debit card when I was with Hibernia. Luckily, as soon as I reported it, Hibernia deposited the same amount back into my account, and I never heard another word about it. They said someone was probably looking over my shoulder at Walmart or something.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks, happened to my dad and sister, I worked at Best Buy in High school, some of the guys in the computer department were runnings scams.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

its probably terrorism..

but no seriously thats shitty, it happend to my dad in 1993, i still refuse to get a checking account... CASH ONLY
Old 07-06-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
its probably terrorism..

but no seriously thats shitty, it happened to my dad in 1993, i still refuse to get a checking account... CASH ONLY
A checking account isn't a bad thing to have, you just gotta be careful. ID theft can happen a number of other ways besides a checking account.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

Good to hear it was caught early. I work for Bank of America and I've had a few customers tell me they received an e-mail stating their account would be on hold until they clicked on a link in the e-mail and logged in with their user id and password. Like someone already stated in this thread, don't ever fall for that BS. I've even gotten one of those same e-mails trying to sucker me out of my password and id, I tried to forward it to one of the reps for south Texas so they could investigate it and the damn thing would not forward. Careful with those thieving bastards guys.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Teching In

i had someone steal my identity and get a bunch of stuff online, like a dell computer(that they had delivered in new york)I live in Texas...i have no idea how they even got my ss# and name....now i have a credit monitering service that emails me anytime anyone even runs a credit check.....
Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I had received an email before stating to click on the link and there was no way in hell I was doing it. I called the bank and they said it was a scam to just delete it. This time I closed my email and checked my bank account online and checked the alerts section and it was there. Good call on letting everyone else know to NEVER click on a link from an email regarding your bank account.

-Joshua
Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i deal with BOA and they will try to **** you alot, but otherwise are good. Somehow, not sure, but my brother proved it, he's only 19 and doesnt own anything but someone messed up and they foreclosed his account saying he owed $880,000 which he's never had that much in his life lol. Thinkin about taking them to court, that will ruin his credit for life.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike96z
i deal with BOA and they will try to **** you alot, but otherwise are good. Somehow, not sure, but my brother proved it, he's only 19 and doesnt own anything but someone messed up and they foreclosed his account saying he owed $880,000 which he's never had that much in his life lol. Thinkin about taking them to court, that will ruin his credit for life.
ummm...what?! lol
Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TEX02SS
ummm...what?! lol
Im dead serious, they closed my brothers account and said he owes $880,000, im like wat the ****?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike96z
Im dead serious, they closed my brothers account and said he owes $880,000, im like wat the ****?

I'm not saying you aren't serious. I work in a large bank and there is no way we would allow someone to have that much debt on a charged off account. Checks and POS debits will start getting rejected at some point. The bank would not honor an $800K check from an 18 year old if there weren't sufficient funds to cover it. I mean you are talking about almost a million dollars here. That is not an every day or even every year transaction for 90% of the consumer accounts in America. Good luck regardless.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TEX02SS
I'm not saying you aren't serious. I work in a large bank and there is no way we would allow someone to have that much debt on a charged off account. Checks and POS debits will start getting rejected at some point. The bank would not honor an $800K check from an 18 year old if there weren't sufficient funds to cover it. I mean you are talking about almost a million dollars here. That is not an every day or even every year transaction for 90% of the consumer accounts in America. Good luck regardless.
The only problem with that is.......... he doesnt have checks, he didnt write a check, he didnt do anything, he just went to check his balance the other day and someone screwed up big time i think. Had to, because he didnt do it, unless he tried to put a Lambo on his bank card lol.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never use a debit card for this reason. I like having a credit card company between perps and my money. Plus, when someone scams a credit card company, they are more interested in getting their money back and their situation resolved.

Call the FTC, and call experian and have the fraud alert placed on your file.