Ls1 vs Mach1 shootout!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _Zac
That's your opinion, and many 2v's have made great power and ran great times, but it is greatly over shadowed by the big brother 4v motors. Much like ya'lls 4.8 motor. Great motor that can make gobs of power, but when given the choice who builds one?
I understand what you are saying Zac, but a 4.8 didn't come in a F-body and Most V-8 mustangs are 2v.

As far as the ls1 vs mach 1 thing. Some people really need to get their head out of the sand and look around. Just because you drive a (insert brand x) does not make you the fastest automatically. There will always be a faster car and better driver out there.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Pimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Just because you drive a (insert brand x) does not make you the fastest automatically. There will always be a faster car and better driver out there.
/Thread..
Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

/Thread..
That would take out 90% of threads
Old 07-25-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Pimp

Yeah if would, if the car newbies on this site knew what logic was when it was slapping them in the face.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah if would, if the car newbies on this site knew what logic was when it was slapping them in the face.
Believe me, it is every site.

I had to bitchslap this kid on my local board the other night because he thought his 2.8L 83 camaro was "relatively fast". I told maybe in comaprison to a little red wagon it was, but honestly a Chevy Aveo would probably have little trouble with him. He thought that just because it was a Camaro, he had a fast car.

Don't get me wrong, I love these F-bodies and I will defend the LSx platform until my dieing day, but I also try to look around every once in a while and see what is going on

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"
Old 07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"
HA, thats why I have the best of both worlds............a GT and an SS.......
Old 07-25-2007, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Well, this is how I see the whole argument...

For starters, there are numerous LS1 cars in bone stock (even stock tires) running 12.9s or better and for a magazine to claim how spectacular that is just shows how rare that is.

Now... the idea of Ford designing a motor to make "similar" power on a 4.6 vs a 5.7L motor is great for magazines and the uneducated, but compare HP/lb of the motors (not the car) as well as the physical dimensions of the actual motors and you will be surprised as to how heavy and large the DOHC motors really are.

Now on the topic of boost... any motor responds to boost. Fords have been doing it for so long because they HAVE to. You see plenty of boosted LSx's running 800+ wheel, thats just the nature of boost.

Now stock for stock, including tire, the LS1 takes the cake almost every time.

Finally, the way I see it, stock for stock the 1/4 goes to the LS1 by a small margin, but top end is dominated by the LS1.

That being said, I have alot of respect for the Mach1 and I dont scoff at them. They are probably the best drag application car Ford has made.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by disco192
Well, this is how I see the whole argument...

For starters, there are numerous LS1 cars in bone stock (even stock tires) running 12.9s or better and for a magazine to claim how spectacular that is just shows how rare that is.

Now... the idea of Ford designing a motor to make "similar" power on a 4.6 vs a 5.7L motor is great for magazines and the uneducated, but compare HP/lb of the motors (not the car) as well as the physical dimensions of the actual motors and you will be surprised as to how heavy and large the DOHC motors really are.

Now on the topic of boost... any motor responds to boost. Fords have been doing it for so long because they HAVE to. You see plenty of boosted LSx's running 800+ wheel, thats just the nature of boost.

Now stock for stock, including tire, the LS1 takes the cake almost every time.

Finally, the way I see it, stock for stock the 1/4 goes to the LS1 by a small margin, but top end is dominated by the LS1.

That being said, I have alot of respect for the Mach1 and I dont scoff at them. They are probably the best drag application car Ford has made.
The DOHC motors are large only because of the heads. That's also the reason they make such great power.

As far as your boost having been on fords since the dawn of time goes. The Cobra is the only power adder V8 stang from the factory. The fact that the motors held boost before the factory added it speaks volumes for the engineering that went into them. Just so you know a few people have made 530+rwhp using built 5.4's N/A. I don't think that's half bad do you?

Furthermore, you do see a good few LS1 cars making 800+boosted, but not with an untouched factory motor.

Other than that you are dead on about the Mach being a great car and it's equal performance in 1/4 mile times. Sure trap isn't all there, but then again the LS1's make slightly more power.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Other than that you are dead on about the Mach being a great car and it's equal performance in 1/4 mile times.
Your hearing what you want to hear. When he says "the LS1 takes the cake almost every time" or "in the quarter mile I give the edge to the LS1 and the LS1 has way more top end power." That DOESN'T mean they are equal. When are you going to accept that? A Mach drivers only hope is that the LS1 is optioned with all the bells and whistles, is an auto (or a 6spd who can't drive), and a poorly positioned sprinkler is soaking the LS1s lane.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Furthermore, you do see a good few LS1 cars making 800+boosted, but not with an untouched factory motor.
You don't see a Mach either. A Cobra maybe....but not for long. tick...tick...tick....
Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

This has gotten out of hand already.... The mach is not as good... I do not think you will find any ls1 owner say so or a mach driver say other wise. Is a stock/bolt-on cobra really that fast? My cam only ls1 does not think so. But whatever mustang boys if don't like what your reading just remember this is called LS1 TECH. It's not like we went on your site and started this ****.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigv99SS
This has gotten out of hand already.... The mach is not as good... I do not think you will find any ls1 owner say so or a mach driver say other wise. Is a stock/bolt-on cobra really that fast? My cam only ls1 does not think so. But whatever mustang boys if don't like what your reading just remember this is called LS1 TECH. It's not like we went on your site and started this ****.
so your cam only A4 Camero is faster than a bolt-on Cobra...interesting.... I think there are a few people in this thread that could prove otherwise
Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
so your cam only A4 Camero is faster than a bolt-on Cobra...interesting.... I think there are a few people in this thread that could prove otherwise
I don't.... now my car is no longer cam only but when it was I was out running cobras was not really that hard. I'm sure other cam ls1 cars will agree.
Mods at the time: Custom grind, fast90/90, long tubes, off road y-pipe. and borla cat back. with custom tune, and 3600 stall.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
man, have you been reading at all??? thats been the whole point of this thread that it takes more than just hp to win a 1/4 mile race
weight, traction, gearing, and hp all matter. cobra weighs more, and will not 60' as good as a 3600 stalled a4. with a healthy cam and 90/90 even through the a4 will put down 400+rwhp. whats a cai, pulley, tuned, exhaust cobra make 450rwhp?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jeez, spare me the "this is LS1 tech" crap...........you act like some of us have never owned an ls1 much less even like them. I love my girls ls1 and im sure Zac liked his too, so dont act like this is YOUR website for ls1's only and if you have a Mustang well F* you............cuz thats pretty much what your saying.

Last edited by 306 That Could; 07-26-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by svodave
Your hearing what you want to hear. When he says "the LS1 takes the cake almost every time" or "in the quarter mile I give the edge to the LS1 and the LS1 has way more top end power." That DOESN'T mean they are equal. When are you going to accept that? A Mach drivers only hope is that the LS1 is optioned with all the bells and whistles, is an auto (or a 6spd who can't drive), and a poorly positioned sprinkler is soaking the LS1s lane.
You're delusional, and that's ok. everyone starts out not knowing everything about their own cars. We can't expect you to know anything about someone elses.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Pimp

Hey take it easy Jan '05.. Wouldn't want to make you upset on "your site"..

Seriously no street cam only LS1 is going to get near a well driven bolt-on cobra. Sure some racecar auto with a huge stall and no weight will be close, but that's called a racecar. Besides why are we even talking about Cobras? This is about Mach 1's and how they are as QUICK as stock LS1's.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Hey take it easy Jan '05.. Wouldn't want to make you upset on "your site"..

Seriously no street cam only LS1 is going to get near a well driven bolt-on cobra. Sure some racecar auto with a huge stall and no weight will be close, but that's called a racecar. Besides why are we even talking about Cobras? This is about Mach 1's and how they are as QUICK as stock LS1's.
so in zac's world cobra's and mach's are unbeatable

Last edited by BLAKE 01 WS6; 07-26-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

I don't.... now my car is no longer cam only but when it was I was out running cobras was not really that hard. I'm sure other cam ls1 cars will agree.
Mods at the time: Custom grind, fast90/90, long tubes, off road y-pipe. and borla cat back. with custom tune, and 3600 stall.
My car with an LS6 cam, Ported LS6 Heads, Headers, Fast 90/90, every other bolt on you can think of, and 12 bolt with 4.10s did not fair very well against Zac's bolt on cobra, and he has a vert. I made at that point 407rwhp and 390 some thing tq. Nomatter what gear unless it was to low and Zac just blew the tires off he would pull me every time. At the track it was a different story I ran better times at a better mph, but due to Zac be on street tires and not hooking Vs me on ET streets and coming out hard.

Thomas
Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I guess from the other thread knowing that Cam Only LS1s beat any 600 or 750 bike thrown at it I could be wrong LOL. In my 407rwhp HC car I would not **** with a 600 and would be crazy to race a 750 unless Highway to the Dangerzone was playing and Tom was chunking duece, or that Blake guy from Austin lol thats for you Zac.

Thomas