For those of you who pump premium (I do...) thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post For those of you who pump premium (I do...) thoughts?

For those of you who pump premium (I do...) thoughts?

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...estions.html#1

pretty interesting stuff...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, if I were you, with a 50th Anniversary Z06, I would keep running premium. Would you really want to risk damaging a car like that for $200 a year ??
Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Pimp

Any car with a tune on this site needs to be running premium and premium only. With the timing advanced running regular will cause detonation.

That means you will be burning holes in your pistons. Which just encase you didn't know are made out of play dough from the factory.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

to quote a kia commercial...

DUH. Use premium if the car tells you to. Although, you will make more power with regular.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Launching!

I use premium. It only costs a couple dollars more per fill up. If someone can't afford 2 dollars more when they fill their car up they shouldn't be driving the car.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

lol I've always used premium
Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Use premium if the car tells you to. Although, you will make more power with regular.
Make more power with 87, WTF?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:49 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
Make more power with 87, WTF?

yeah, WTF?

You can't run as much timing with **** gas.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 AM

i use premium but if i am low on cash and need to get somewhere, ill run a little regular.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
yeah, WTF?

You can't run as much timing with **** gas.
Well it was a Kia commerical, allegedly. I am not thinking they are going to be using a comp ratio higher than 9.5:1, but I could be wrong. It is Kia, after all.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

The key thing to get out of that site is: "for cars that are designed to run on regular gas."

For a lot of people, 87 octane is fine. I run it in my Accord and my wife's Equinox. I would NEVER run it in the Camaro. Like FastB said, it's an extra $3.20 per fill-up, and when you figure out how much you're saving vs. the reduced mileage (i.e. you will be at the pump again sooner), it doesn't add up.

Not to mention paying for a new shortblock when one of your pistons turns into swiss cheese. I've had issues with detonation before. It's not a happy sound.

-Mike
Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is a simple thing really. If you don't have detonation with low octane then you don't need to run premium and will see no gains from it.

I've noticed a lot of people seem to think that because lower octane fuels are cheaper that they are a lesser or "dirtier" fuel, but they aren't.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
It is a simple thing really. If you don't have detonation with low octane then you don't need to run premium and will see no gains from it.

I've noticed a lot of people seem to think that because lower octane fuels are cheaper that they are a lesser or "dirtier" fuel, but they aren't.
Its not that its dirtier, it just doesnt run as clean as premium.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres the fact that are SPECIFIC TO THE LS1 and GEN IV motors:

if you run regular, in most locations (aka not high altitude) you will see detonation.

your engine will not be harmed. HOWEVER, the computer pulls EXCESSIVE timing out..

not a little bit

not just enough to not ping.

it pulls alot out.

because of this, you see a LOSS in FUEL ECONOMY and a LOSS in POWER.

in otherwords, you save $3 at the pump, but waste $5 in lowered MPG and have less power overall.

it does not make sense to run regular in a genIII+ motor.

on the flipside, if you have a kia/honda/toyota/whatever sedan.. sure, you can probably run the stuff, regardless of what the manual says.... but just remember not all generic car advice applies to us... we're the oddballs with the large V8 modern pushrod motors in RWD cars... not the common 4banger overheadcam FWDcars
Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed

Exactly. There is a lot of ignorance and misconceptions about fuel octane. If you are not experiencing detonation with your current grade of fuel, stepping up the grade of fuel just makes your wallet thinner while doing next to nothing for your car.

However, LS1 drivers... open up your gas tank door. Look at the sticker. It says "Premium Fuel". You can try midgrade (It's 89 in Texas) but if you hear that "marbles rattling in a can" sound when you go WOT, you need to step it back up to premium (93 in Texas)

If you are driving a shitbox Toyota Camry or similar boring commuter car, 87 is probably fine.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TWS
Exactly. There is a lot of ignorance and misconceptions about fuel octane. If you are not experiencing detonation with your current grade of fuel, stepping up the grade of fuel just makes your wallet thinner while doing next to nothing for your car.

However, LS1 drivers... open up your gas tank door. Look at the sticker. It says "Premium Fuel". You can try midgrade (It's 89 in Texas) but if you hear that "marbles rattling in a can" sound when you go WOT, you need to step it back up to premium (93 in Texas)

If you are driving a shitbox Toyota Camry or similar boring commuter car, 87 is probably fine.

you will NEVER hear detonation in a stock LS1.
before its audible, the PCM will hear it and pull timing.

the only way you can know what its timing trims and such really are, is to use software like HPtuners or EFIlive to log it.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
heres the fact that are SPECIFIC TO THE LS1 and GEN IV motors:
if you run regular, in most locations (aka not high altitude) you will see detonation.
your engine will not be harmed. HOWEVER, the computer pulls EXCESSIVE timing out..
not a little bit
not just enough to not ping.
it pulls alot out.
because of this, you see a LOSS in FUEL ECONOMY and a LOSS in POWER.
in otherwords, you save $3 at the pump, but waste $5 in lowered MPG and have less power overall.
it does not make sense to run regular in a genIII+ motor.
Agree with a lot of what you said. HOWEVER, while the knock retard will pull timing and sometimes a lot of timing, it does not always eliminate detonation. It is not a "fail safe". Therefore, don't let people believe that they can run whatever grade of fuel they want and that the PCM will save their motor from damage in all cases.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Launching!

mach's say Premium Fuel only on the dash and i'm sure cobras do to (not sure). i would think ls1's say the same thing?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TWS
Agree with a lot of what you said. HOWEVER, while the knock retard will pull timing and sometimes a lot of timing, it does not always eliminate detonation. It is not a "fail safe". Therefore, don't let people believe that they can run whatever grade of fuel they want and that the PCM will save their motor from damage in all cases.
if its a stock engine, and the gasoline was purchesed in the united states... (min 87) then yes... they can run it.
it is a failsafe.

however, if you're running 3 year old gas from your uncles tractor with some oil in it... umm.. you're asking for it. LOL.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BT03mach-1
mach's say Premium Fuel only on the dash and i'm sure cobras do to (not sure). i would think ls1's say the same thing?

they do.