My landlord gave me deposit to my exroommate... anything I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

colby never really was my friend. I only knew kyle when we moved in together. So I can careless about colby...

so all of our names should have been on the check? how would someone cash somehting like that?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

i honestly dont think you can do anything cuz you werent on the lease legally you never lived there.....
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96ta
i honestly dont think you can do anything cuz you werent on the lease legally you never lived there.....
the deposit was from when I lived at a duplex from Dec of 06-July 30 of 07. I was on the lease. And I lived there.

The deposit im talking about has nothing to do with me "almost" moving off sagewood.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

P this is what you do 1) sue the landlord for the money and lawyer fees. He can't just give your money to someone else, that is illegal I'm pretty sure. 2) We roll deep up to san marcos and **** that dude up
Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

haha... come down stairs and lets play some poker homo.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a dick
Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
It's nice that the landlord is even willing to talk to him but this situation is out of his hands and you shouldn't hold it against the landlord when it comes to renting from him again.

Good luck and I hope you do get the money back, but don't stress over it.

bro you can't just give someone's money (or stuff for that matter) to someone if the rightful owner didn't tell them to. That would be like if you bought a car, and signed all the papers but couldn't pick it up till the next day and I went up and was like, yeah We are really good friends and I will give him the car and then I don't are you saying the dealer has no responsibility? I know we are talking about 200 dollars and not something really expensive but it's the same idea.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Find out from the landlord, EXACTLY how the deposit was returned; cash, business check, cashier's check, etc...

Let him know that your "friend" refuses to give you your money and that you partially hold him responsible. He should be pretty co-operative in helping you get your money from that POS you used to call a roommate.

Chances are that it was some form of check, and if you were on the lease, your name SHOULD have been on that check. If it was, then Mukyluk has a great point, that ******* probably forged your signature.

Find out from the landlord
Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chargerR/T
bro you can't just give someone's money (or stuff for that matter) to someone if the rightful owner didn't tell them to. That would be like if you bought a car, and signed all the papers but couldn't pick it up till the next day and I went up and was like, yeah We are really good friends and I will give him the car and then I don't are you saying the dealer has no responsibility? I know we are talking about 200 dollars and not something really expensive but it's the same idea.

You have NO idea what you are talking about.

There is so much misinformation in this thread, it is pathetic. The only chance Donahue has of getting his hundred dollars back is if his old roommate gives it back, otherwise forget about it. There is more to the story I bet......
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

There is so much misinformation in this thread, it is pathetic. The only chance Donahue has of getting his hundred dollars back is if his old roommate gives it back, otherwise forget about it. There is more to the story I bet......
its actually $200...

and there is nothing more to the story. Colby thinks that since I didnt help clean, BECAUSE I WAS TOLD I DIDNT HAVE TO. that he should then get my $200.

and that is rediculous that you dont think that the landlord is somewhat responsible. he gave MY money to someone else.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

no sir YOU have NO idea what you are talking about. I am donohue's roommate now and was right there when everything was going down. this is the whole story and yes, he does have legal action he can take against the landlord bc the landlord had no right to give his money away to anyone that was not him without patrick's consent. He can sue the landlord for his $200 and his lawyer/court fees and he WILL win!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chargerR/T
no sir YOU have NO idea what you are talking about. I am donohue's roommate now and was right there when everything was going down. this is the whole story and yes, he does have legal action he can take against the landlord bc the landlord had no right to give his money away to anyone that was not him without patrick's consent. He can sue the landlord for his $200 and his lawyer/court fees and he WILL win!

then tell him to do it.....and let me know how much money he waste.

the landlord is free and clear, he didn't knowingly do anything wrong. the ex roommate knowingly spent money that wasn't his, he is the guilty party.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

then tell him to do it.....and let me know how much money he waste.

the landlord is free and clear, he didn't knowingly do anything wrong. the ex roommate knowingly spent money that wasn't his, he is the guilty party.
just spoke with chargers moms BF(who is a lawyer)

he said that if the landlord gave colby a check with ALL 3 of our names on it. THEN the landlord is in the clear. and Colby forged my signature.

But if my name was not on the check or if he gave them cash. Then he is still liable.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
just spoke with chargers moms BF(who is a lawyer)

he said that if the landlord gave colby a check with ALL 3 of our names on it. THEN the landlord is in the clear. and Colby forged my signature.

But if my name was not on the check or if he gave them cash. Then he is still liable.

Your name was not on the check or he gave them cash.

Good luck bro, the way you described it, if you went to court....how would you get your money back? Wouldn't the utility and cleaning charges take care of all the deposit?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Your name was not on the check or he gave them cash.

Good luck bro, the way you described it, if you went to court....how would you get your money back? Wouldn't the utility and cleaning charges take care of all the deposit?
once again.. I dont owe anyone anything for the utitilities. the last months utilities was $90per person. Our ~1XX deposit that we left PER PERSON PAYS hte last months utilities. So that was paid with my deposit. I didnt directly pay it, but my UTILITY deposit did pay it.

On a side note..

I just talked to the landlord and he siad that he made the check to kyle. And he said most of the time with dealing with college students thats how they ask to get the deposit back.

I said that I never agreed to that, and that he had ways of contacting me if he didnt have my forwarding address.
And I said that when I moved back in dec/jan I was planning on going through him again bc he was extremely good at fixing things the same day. But I said that me not getting my deposit back kind of turned me off with getting a place through him.

He then said. That he'll make it right. Either by giving me $200 out of his own pocket or by getting it from them. And that he would get back with me.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a side note..

He then said. That he'll make it right. Either by giving me $200 out of his own pocket or by getting it from them. And that he would get back with me.

So now you are potentially screwing the landlord out of $200 because you pissed off a roommate?????

No worries....if you rent from him again I'm sure he'll get it back

EDIT: wait, he made the check to Kyle????? the one you are still friends with....then how did Colby spend it???? hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by 2 SLOW; 08-22-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

So now you are potentially screwing the landlord out of $200 because you pissed off a roommate?????

No worries....if you rent from him again I'm sure he'll get it back
you are a ******* dumb ****. I screwed the landlord bc I pissed off a roommate?? Colby is a ******. Our rent was $800 even. Instead of paying $267(like kyle and I would do). he'd pay $266, bc it wasnt "actually" 267. With all the utilitiy bills. If it was $213.24. He'd pay exactly 1/3 of it. he'd pay 71.08. He saw a way for hiim to get easy money bc he knew that I moved away for the semester and then he tried to come up with every excuse to keep it. "umm... you had more parties"... WTF?? who gives a ****.

by the way... it was the landlords mistake. he shoudl have made sure it was cool with me.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

you are a ******* dumb ****. I screwed the landlord bc I pissed off a roommate?? Colby is a ******. Our rent was $800 even. Instead of paying $267(like kyle and I would do). he'd pay $266, bc it wasnt "actually" 267. With all the utilitiy bills. If it was $213.24. He'd pay exactly 1/3 of it. he'd pay 71.08. He saw a way for hiim to get easy money bc he knew that I moved away for the semester and then he tried to come up with every excuse to keep it. "umm... you had more parties"... WTF?? who gives a ****.

by the way... it was the landlords mistake. he shoudl have made sure it was cool with me.

you said the landlord made the check out to Kyle though........

how is this Colbys fault?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

you said the landlord made the check out to Kyle though........

how is this Colbys fault?
It was in kyles name... Kyle took his $200 out and then colby had the rest. As far as kyle knew. Colby was going to give to me. Colby and I were "friends", just not good friends.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was in kyles name... Kyle took his $200 out and then colby had the rest. As far as kyle knew. Colby was going to give to me. Colby and I were "friends", just not good friends.

some friend Kyle is.....there is more to this story, are you going to tell it or not?

Kyle didn't have your number to let you know he had your money?

edit: I hope this goes to court so the judge can get a good laugh

Quick Reply: My landlord gave me deposit to my exroommate... anything I can do?