My landlord gave me deposit to my exroommate... anything I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My landlord gave me deposit to my exroommate... anything I can do?

Well I moved out of my duplex on july 30 (1 day early, bc my exroommates friends needed to move in a day early).
They said they'd have all there **** out by 3 pm on the 30th and we can clean ****.
I got everything out and was ready to clean ****. BUT they had all there **** still in there. I didnt want to wait around, so I asked one of them(kyle, who is still a friend of mine) if anything else needed to be cleaned besides down stairs so I wouldnt have to wait around. kyle said to not worry about it.

so i left.

Early Aug, someone from my landlords company called and asked when I was going to move off of sagewood(I told them i wasnt going to be able to, and I never signed a contract). But I gave them my forwarding address for the deposit. I then called a week or so ago to make sure they had my address, but I didnt get the email sent out till last night.

I got an email saying that they gave the entire deposit to one of my exroommates(colby) bc they said that they'd give it to me. $200 each...

I called kyle and he said colby had it and to give him a call to get it...

I called colby and he said "sorry, but I spent it" WTF? he said that I wasnt going to get it bc I didnt pay my last month of the utilities (~$90), but in actuallity I never got my $1XX deposit back that PAYS the last months utilities. So I owe no one for that. He then said that I left them "high and dry". WTF? bc I didnt wait ~4hrs from them to move all there **** out so I could clean? ha. kyle said it was cool if I left. colby said that I shouldnt get my part of the deposit bc I had more parties/more people over. This guy is such a douche. Im not sure where he lives now... but I told him I'll be seeing him. I also called the landlord and he said that he'd talk to them, but he gave it to them bc he had noway of getting ahold of me....shiiiit.. he for sure had my phone number at least.

so pretty mcuh I got $200 taken from me... doesnt it seem like the landlord didnt do what the was supposed to? I dont know much about it, but it seems like he was suppoosed to give me my $200.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

was it a check addressed to you?!?

If it comes down to it, threaten to sue the landlard because he can't give someone your property..i..e.. your money without your permission
Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

im not sure what it was... I assume it was a check/cash for $600 that was given to colby.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

by the way... I was going to for sure rent from this guy again in dec/jan. he was badass at getting things fixed qquickly etc... but if he dicks me over here.. then **** him.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Whip colby's ***....
Or take him/landlord to civil court (a Justice of the peice)...
Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kainzien
Whip colby's ***....

that first one would be a given for me... I'd take that MF'er to the pavement
Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

ya, he knows im out of town right now, but im sure i'll be seeing him. i was pissedTF off when i first talked him... I would have ******* beat hiim... He said "well sorry" to me about 5 times. I know which apartments he lives at,, but dont know the number... This *** is like a hermit tho... He rarely came out of him room. ****** douchebag.So I doubt i'll see him anywhere.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kainzien
Whip colby's ***....
not sure how much money i'd have to spend to take them to court tho... prob wont be worth it.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah pay colby a visit with a bat to skull. or a fist if you dont want to hurt him too bad
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL... prob not a bat... dont want to kill anyone
Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

At least call a JP and see if they think you have a case (hell its free to call).
Hell don't let him just keep you cash.........
Old 08-21-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

or you can just forget about it and move on lesson learned, you left early without cleaning and didn't pay the last month utilities......
Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
or you can just forget about it and move on lesson learned, you left early without cleaning and didn't pay the last month utilities......
re read my first post...
how it works is.. the last months rent is paid by the deposit. we all put our money together to pay the $3XX utility deposit when we moved in. There fore the last months utilities that I "never paid" was paid... with my deposit.

And no lesson was learned. I moved away from san marcos for this sem... So I would have had to "postpone" my trip, bc they werent ready by 3 like they said they were going to be. I even offered to clean something else, bc downstairs was going to need to be the last thing to be cleaned. But kyle said to not worry about it.

by the way... I cleaned everything upstairs that pertained to me... my bedroom/bathroom.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotcha, it just isn't a bad situation at all compared to what I've seen. My main point was just move on and forget about it. In the whole scheme of things it really doesn't matter and isn't worth fighting over.

It's nice that the landlord is even willing to talk to him but this situation is out of his hands and you shouldn't hold it against the landlord when it comes to renting from him again.

Good luck and I hope you do get the money back, but don't stress over it.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

IMO... the landlord is somewhat responsible for it.

and ya. i know its not "that" big of deal... But its $200 that is owed to me, that I was counting on getting.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
Gotcha, it just isn't a bad situation at all compared to what I've seen. My main point was just move on and forget about it. In the whole scheme of things it really doesn't matter and isn't worth fighting over.

It's nice that the landlord is even willing to talk to him but this situation is out of his hands and you shouldn't hold it against the landlord when it comes to renting from him again.

Good luck and I hope you do get the money back, but don't stress over it.

$200 may mean more to some people than it does u or me...i mean he seems to be a college student so im sure he is tight on money. Im sure $200 is kind of a big deal to someone that doesnt make much, and goes to school fulltime...

so his 200 may seem more like someone taking a couple thousand or so from us.....

i mean ive been a poor college student before, the $110 wouldve come in handy then...

Last edited by RUSTYTA; 08-21-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RUSTYTA
$200 may mean more to some people than it does u or me...i mean he seems to be a college student so im sure he is tight on money. Im sure $200 is kind of a big deal to someone that doesnt make much, and goes to school fulltime...

so his 200 may seem more like someone taking a couple thousand or so from us.....

i mean ive been a poor college student before, the $110 wouldve come in handy then...

ok BALLER
Old 08-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Teching In

i meant in money-making comparison...he's still in college so im sure he doesnt make much money....ive been there before....

im also sure your the only one who took that the way you did...you are always a douche in every thread, maybe you dont make much money and ur just too big of a puss and let ppl run around on u then? either way i dont care, i was supporting the fact that money is hard to come by in college for some of us...

goodluck donohue...i know you probably wont kick his *** bc yall were friends and all, but you really dont need friends that steal from u....later
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Launching!

ask the landlord if he sent the check with your both your names on it, which is what he is supposed to do. if he did and your old roommate cashed it then he committed forgery, check and bank fraud. then you can find out what bank the check was cashed and alert them tot he fraud and they will **** him up. civil court costs $50, and if you defend yourself then you dont pay a lawyer. you can also include the $50 in what you are seaking in the settlement.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

How much to do value your friendship with you buddy? If not that much then take equal value and tell him not to worry why he's missing some ****. That would start more mess so think about it. LOL

Quick Reply: My landlord gave me deposit to my exroommate... anything I can do?