My landlord gave me deposit to my exroommate... anything I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

donohue i wouldnt worry about 2slow, i think he somehow gets off on trying to barge in on ppls business and making dumbass remarks in every thread....
he obviously knows as much about legal matters as he does about building a fast car.....psssshhhaaaaahahaahahahahahaahahaha!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Just spent a good 20 minutes reading all this so I might as well throw in my .02. I have to agree with 2slow here in that Kyle is supposed to be your friend yet he gave your portion of the deposit to Colby who he knew really wasn't a good friend of yours?? That puts Kyle at fault as far as I see it because he should have sense enough to give Colby his $200 and give you your $200. I think your barking up the wrong tree here by crying to the landlord. You need to be yelling at your "buddy" Kyle!!

J
Old 08-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Banned

I think 1 of 2 roomates releasing you from not cleaning any further is a bogus reason for washing your hands of any further cleaning. If you didn't have time to wait around that day you should have started earlier in my opinion. It doesn't matter who's trash is who's... You are on the contract together for a reason, all are responsible.

You mention your utility deposit paying your last $90 portion of a bill due. The deposit is not supposed to be used to pay a bill, its purpose is so you WILL pay your bill. Just because they keep it when you scape goat out on a bill doesn't make it right. Thats irresponsible. It would be the same thing as all of you short paying last months rent $600 total, bet your landlord would have loved that situation. Maybe it would make holding your portion of the deposit legit until someone can confirm the utility bill is paid up in full. Maybe not $200 worth but certainly your portion should be withheld.

My $0.02 you left leaving alot of faith in your at the time friends to be honest. As far as 1 of them is concerned honestly...you didn't clean up you portion/and left with a due portion of a bill pending. Hence lesson learned. So in the end you are responsible for the above + not keeping contact with everyone and collecting your portion of the deposit. You can't hold Kyle liable for not collecting something for you. Its your money, right? Looks like he got his portion. Do you honestly think Kyle gave the other roomate your portion without thinking you owed it to him somehow? "Hey here is my $200, why don't you take the $400 and settle up with Don..." Looks like neither of them where you friend bro.

Last edited by SSAUTOCHROME; 08-22-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you lost $200.00 you are going to have to let it go. Thats how **** goes some times, and there is not really anything you can do. I wish I had better news, but there is no way you will get the money back unless Colby coughs it up which it does not sound like will happen.
Thomas
Old 08-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Teching In

wow....just wow....You guys must have a serious problem trusting people.

ssautochrome- i dont know what utility company you used but they apply your deposit to ur last months bill and if theres anything left over they write u out a check for it...txu and reliant have both done that for me....

and secondly i wouldnt clean up your friends **** either, even if i was there....its not my filth, therefore i dont touch it, but then again thats why i have my own apt now bc all my roommates lived like pigs...

and what kind of logic is that?? his friends get to keep his money bc he didnt help them clean up their filth?? WTF is that??!!!

i do however agree that your other friend shouldve been a little more helpful in getting you your money though....that part sounds kinda shady of him.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RUSTYTA
ssautochrome- i dont know what utility company you used but they apply your deposit to ur last months bill and if theres anything left over they write u out a check for it...txu and reliant have both done that for me....
Called the TXU and Reliant Energy Co. leads. They mentioned the deposit is not to be used to pay your bill in any way. In the event you do not pay your last month in full before closing your account they will apply the money. They still expect you to pay your last months bill. Legally they have to return any amount of deposit back to you that is not applied to legitamate charges. A deposit is used to protect them from Mr. non-pay. Irresponsible? Yes-No. We wouldn't have to have deposits if people would have paid their bills in the first place. Not saying you don't but you get the idea. Just because they let you leave on good terms by keeping a portion of your moneyand sending you a refund doesn't make it right. So in a round about way you are just taking advantage of the system that is taking advantage of you by requiring a desposit to obtain services.

It is the same situation when you write a contract to rent a home with roomates. The contract requires you clean the entire home...not your portion of the mess (real world common sense)...to get back the deposit. In this case the buddy system failed miserably. So one guy came out $200 breaking even for doing his part, another didn't really like how the situation ended so he took remaining $400. Was it right...nawh probably not. Could have been handled better with proper communication. This is a case of live and learn. Move on.

Last edited by SSAUTOCHROME; 08-22-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,240 Likes on 791 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Maybe they are both salty because the cleaning of the common areas was a lot of work? Sounds like Colby was hinting at the place being dirty from parties.

Kyle should have had your back, wonder why he did not do the right thing.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
some friend Kyle is.....there is more to this story, are you going to tell it or not?

Kyle didn't have your number to let you know he had your money?

edit: I hope this goes to court so the judge can get a good laugh
there is nothing more to the story... you're reading to far into it.

by the way... Yesterday kyle told me that he'd be willing to pay some of it colby didnt... Half of kyles story doesnt make sense to me either. He's a friend of mine. but not one of my "boys".
Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
Just spent a good 20 minutes reading all this so I might as well throw in my .02. I have to agree with 2slow here in that Kyle is supposed to be your friend yet he gave your portion of the deposit to Colby who he knew really wasn't a good friend of yours?? That puts Kyle at fault as far as I see it because he should have sense enough to give Colby his $200 and give you your $200. I think your barking up the wrong tree here by crying to the landlord. You need to be yelling at your "buddy" Kyle!!

J
who knows... maybe kyle and colby both split it. I could see that.. But dont really care.. they were boring *** roommates.

by the way... IMO its easier to collect from the landlord then a college student... F

Originally Posted by SSAUTOCHROME
I think 1 of 2 roomates releasing you from not cleaning any further is a bogus reason for washing your hands of any further cleaning. If you didn't have time to wait around that day you should have started earlier in my opinion. It doesn't matter who's trash is who's... You are on the contract together for a reason, all are responsible.

You mention your utility deposit paying your last $90 portion of a bill due. The deposit is not supposed to be used to pay a bill, its purpose is so you WILL pay your bill. Just because they keep it when you scape goat out on a bill doesn't make it right. Thats irresponsible. It would be the same thing as all of you short paying last months rent $600 total, bet your landlord would have loved that situation. Maybe it would make holding your portion of the deposit legit until someone can confirm the utility bill is paid up in full. Maybe not $200 worth but certainly your portion should be withheld.

My $0.02 you left leaving alot of faith in your at the time friends to be honest. As far as 1 of them is concerned honestly...you didn't clean up you portion/and left with a due portion of a bill pending. Hence lesson learned. So in the end you are responsible for the above + not keeping contact with everyone and collecting your portion of the deposit. You can't hold Kyle liable for not collecting something for you. Its your money, right? Looks like he got his portion. Do you honestly think Kyle gave the other roomate your portion without thinking you owed it to him somehow? "Hey here is my $200, why don't you take the $400 and settle up with Don..." Looks like neither of them where you friend bro.
I should have started earlier?? Me and this chick busted ***** the night before/the morning of to get ALL MY **** OUT. My room/bathroom was MF spotless. They still had ALL there **** down stairs... It doesnt matter how early I would have started... ALL THERE **** STILL WOULD HAVE BEEN DOWNSTAIRS.

speaking of the utility bill... When we put down the deposit. They said that it paid the last months utilities... Even if it didnt.. Who cares. Whats the point of me paying $90.. Just to wait for me to get my ~$100 deposit back. I prob would have got that stolen too.

by the way... Kyle(the guy who had the utility bill in my name). told me TO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT bc he knew that deposit paid for it.

and I didnt think I had to keep in contact with my exroommates... they both had my number if they needed it. I was trying to work directly with the landlord for my deposit.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSAUTOCHROME
Called the TXU and Reliant Energy Co. leads. They mentioned the deposit is not to be used to pay your bill in any way. In the event you do not pay your last month in full before closing your account they will apply the money. They still expect you to pay your last months bill. Legally they have to return any amount of deposit back to you that is not applied to legitamate charges. A deposit is used to protect them from Mr. non-pay. Irresponsible? Yes-No. We wouldn't have to have deposits if people would have paid their bills in the first place. Not saying you don't but you get the idea. Just because they let you leave on good terms by keeping a portion of your moneyand sending you a refund doesn't make it right. So in a round about way you are just taking advantage of the system that is taking advantage of you by requiring a desposit to obtain services.

It is the same situation when you write a contract to rent a home with roomates. The contract requires you clean the entire home...not your portion of the mess (real world common sense)...to get back the deposit. In this case the buddy system failed miserably. So one guy came out $200 breaking even for doing his part, another didn't really like how the situation ended so he took remaining $400. Was it right...nawh probably not. Could have been handled better with proper communication. This is a case of live and learn. Move on.
I undeerstand that. I was more then down to help clean...
to me Kyle was 2 faced...and always talked **** about colby behind his back.... I.e. talking **** about him being in his room etc. Next thing I know. They're buddy buddy. And they want me to clean the entire bottom floor and they both want to double team upstairs( nothing really needed to be done... maybe a shampoo, but it really wasnt bad. Either way. Looks like the landlord is down to help out. Since he technically never gave ME my deposit.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Maybe they are both salty because the cleaning of the common areas was a lot of work? Sounds like Colby was hinting at the place being dirty from parties.

Kyle should have had your back, wonder why he did not do the right thing.
The bottom floor was all tile.

Kyle kept saying how it would only take about "15-20 minutes to clean"

by the way... I know brian2006 has seen the house... it was really not that bad for being a college house.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RUSTYTA
donohue i wouldnt worry about 2slow, i think he somehow gets off on trying to barge in on ppls business and making dumbass remarks in every thread....
he obviously knows as much about legal matters as he does about building a fast car.....psssshhhaaaaahahaahahahahahaahahaha!!!
thankss... Im not really worrying about it. I got some "legal advice" and it looks like im alright. and you're right.. $200 is more to me then it would be a "non college student".
Old 08-22-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

by the way I was just thinking... one thing that makes me not really trust kyle is that yesterday when I talked to him. He said that he got $200 from colby. And then he asked if I knew how much they got back. I said no. But then the landlord told me it was for $600 and the check was written out to kyle. So obviously kyle knew how much they got back ******.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah try not to stress you got screwed it happens. It sucks, but all you can really do is bitch lol which really sucks sorry to hear about it man.

Thomas
Old 08-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
thankss... Im not really worrying about it. I got some "legal advice" and it looks like im alright. and you're right.. $200 is more to me then it would be a "non college student".

btw no pun intended at all on that....i just know how much 200 is when ur in college....months worth of gas, party money, whatever....**** i make damn good money now but id probably be bustin somebodys ***** over $200 still if it happened to me....

when u can try living by yourself, this is the first place ive had to myself, and man i tell u its so nice not having to clean up after ppl, listen to their gf bf bs drama, and all the other ****....

ssautochrome - thats weird cuz i wasnt even late on my bill...they sent me a statement saying how much i owed for the last month, then 2 days later i recieved a revised statement with the deposit deducted....not saying your lying or anything, just stating how my deposits were handled.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

intent!!! the rule of civil law is 51% vs 49% u have to prove his intent 1 percent more than the other guy...also colby like e will have $$$$ to pay u! also i bet the landlord gave colby the $ with the goodfaith belief that he as ur roommate would follw through with the deal so i dont really think you would really get amywhere with anybody in this situation..... as a former 20 year police officer and former constable who worked in a jp court i might know a little bit about this

Originally Posted by chargerR/T
no sir YOU have NO idea what you are talking about. I am donohue's roommate now and was right there when everything was going down. this is the whole story and yes, he does have legal action he can take against the landlord bc the landlord had no right to give his money away to anyone that was not him without patrick's consent. He can sue the landlord for his $200 and his lawyer/court fees and he WILL win!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

ssautochrome... are you cantalope kid?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tigertank
intent!!! the rule of civil law is 51% vs 49% u have to prove his intent 1 percent more than the other guy...also colby like e will have $$$$ to pay u! also i bet the landlord gave colby the $ with the goodfaith belief that he as ur roommate would follw through with the deal so i dont really think you would really get amywhere with anybody in this situation..... as a former 20 year police officer and former constable who worked in a jp court i might know a little bit about this
you know more then an actual lawyer???
Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
ssautochrome... are you cantalope kid?
Busted! Yup I took the SSAUTOCHROME name when they decided CANTALOPE KID was being unresonable and gave him the ban. It was concerning IMO the over pricing of stainless steel headers. You know the drill. Disagree with a sponsor get on the ban wagon. Anyhow I Figured I would use the parent company name just to be a turd. I liked the idea so much I just kept using it.

We both know these guys owe your money. Can't say I haven't been in similar situations. I can only say that it was not handled well thus the results where not good. Everyone is responsible somehow. Some much more than others of coarse. Get the PD involved. Pray these guys get scared and caugh up the cash. Maybe some $200 vandelism is coming their way otherwise? Not that I would wish that on anyone...BUT If you need one I have a masonry sledge hammer?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

the guys called and they are giving him 130 bucks tomorrow. he thinks it's fair so all is good
Old 08-22-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chargerR/T
the guys called and they are giving him 130 bucks tomorrow. he thinks it's fair so all is good
Good, glad he got it settled

Quick Reply: My landlord gave me deposit to my exroommate... anything I can do?