Had to put my dog down today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Texas Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Had to put my dog down today...

I've had my dog Molli for 13 years. I got her on Father's Day in 1994. She's pure bread beagle and is the sweetest dog you could imagine. Everytime someone came over she thought that they came over to see her. She was so excited to see people and wanted whoever came over to pet her, and shame on you if you stopped petting her, she would bark or yelp at you to let you know she was still there and for you not to ignore her. She loved attention and she was great with kids too.

When they made Molli they broke the mold. She was one of a kind and there will never be another dog like her in the world. You had to be around her to know what I'm talking about. We shared so many good times with her and laughed out loud at so many of the unbelievable things she would do.

Unfortunately, over the last few months she began to lose weight and not have much of an appetite. We assumed that she had gotten food poisoning from the Alpo canned dog food, which there was a recall on, and which there is no cure, plus she was 13 years old and was getting up there in years for a dog. Molli lost right at 20lbs., which is a LOT for a dog. Over the last few weeks she just wasn't herself.

This morning my wife and I took her to the vet. We knew what we had to do, but we held out a little optimism that maybe something could be done. We took her into the examining room about 9AM and the vet examined her. He listened to her heart and to her lungs as she breathed. He then felt her abdomen. He told us that from what he heard her heart sounded very weak and that he thought she had something wrong with her heart. He said that he could hear congestion in her lungs as she was breathing. He found a baseball size mass in her belly when he felt her abdomen.

The vet told us that there really weren't any options for a cure for Molli. He said that we were making the right decision in putting her down, and that he would do the same thing if it were his dog. The vet gave us a few private minutes in the room to say our final goodbyes. When he returned my wife held Molli in her arms as the vet put her down. She quickly went to sleep and we said our final goodbyes and covered her up with her favorite blanket.

This was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. My heart is so heavy and feels broken in half. I'll miss that girl for the rest of my life. There will never be another dog like Molli. I just wanted to get this off of my chest thinking that it will somehow help me grieve and heal maybe a little quicker. Please cherish every day with your pets. I wish I had just one more day to spend with Molli!

RIP Moll-Molls
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah man. That's sux Matt. I loved Molli. She was a sweetie. I feel your pain man

You are in our thoughts and prayers man.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I know how you feel man. I had to have my male pitbull put to sleep the day after Christmas last year b/c some ******* shot him from behind in the shoulder and almost blew his whole left leg off. That was probably the hardest things I've ever had to do. I couldn't keep it together in the vets office after they gave him the shots. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Banned

That sucks bro, I had a beagle named molly that got out of her pen and was hit by a car. We went on vacation for the week and came home to find her laying dead in the street, stay strong bro. Btw this may seem inappropriate but getting another dog will help to ease the pain.
-Jeremy
Old 09-13-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry bro, this makes me very sad. I pictured my dog while reading your story, who's identical to the way she acts. She'll be 3 on Oct. 15th. Damn I don't look forward to that day. These dogs are like kids to some of us. I feel your pain!!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am so sorry for you. Im glad to say I have only had to deal with the loss of one dog. That was one of the worse things I had to go through.

I wish you the very best.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Dang man made me want to cry. Get another dog and it will help.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

I feel your pain too. I had to put my dog down like 7 years ago. My parents had that dog a year before I was even born. She was the first dog I ever knew. It was really hard! It will get better though. Remember her during the good days. I do agree with Smokey, getting another dog will make it easier, although I would wait a little while. My family waited 6 months before we got another dog.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

so sorry to hear this story, made me cry because it makes me think of my pug girl that died a couple months back she basically died while I was at work, and it tore my my world up for a month or so, but things get better, but I will never forget my Hula either, again I am sorry to hear your loss...I buried my dog in the backyard in her favorite blanket as well hardest thing ive done ever in life to bury her...
Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Texas Director

Guys/gals, thanks for the kind words. They mean a lot to me. James Day (TXCAMSS) and Dennis Jason (DJ'sZ) both were around Molli many, many times, and they know how sweet of a dog she was and how much I loved her. This is absolutely one of the saddest days in my life.

As far as getting another dog, at this time I don't have any desire to do that. We still have another beagle, Sandi, who is 14 years old and Chloe, a chihuahua, who is six years old. What I hate to think of is that the age that Sandi is that I will probably be going through this same thing in the near future. For the short term I'm going to just remember all of the good times and laughs that we shared with Moll Molls and not get anymore dogs for a while.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hang in there my brother, my prayers are with you, be strong u did the right thing even though it hurts, shes not in any pain u stay strong bro u stay strong...
Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your loss Matt! Don't know what to say except sorry. I know what it is like been there when I lost my dog that I grew up with Grizzly was 10.
Jeff
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmiller
Guys/gals, thanks for the kind words. They mean a lot to me. James Day (TXCAMSS) and Dennis Jason (DJ'sZ) both were around Molli many, many times, and they know how sweet of a dog she was and how much I loved her. This is absolutely one of the saddest days in my life.
Hey Matt...I couldn't believe the news when you called. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can truly feel your pain as I've lost many close pets myself. Heart breaking no doubt...

Molly was one hell of a crazy *** dog...!! I can remember sooo many times coming over and there she goes...howlin' like only maw maw's could...LOL...then you sit down to pet her, stop for a second and it was like you pulled her tail out of socket and she started all over again...lol...then when you stop petting her, take a quick glance and stare at her and the faces she'd make with one paw in the air...lol...priceless...!! She'd have one lip resting on the inside of her canines and the look she gave with those big eyes was a face only a mother could love. Good Times for sure...not to mention the things Matt would do with her making faces and playin' with her nose..LOL...and she loved every minute of it...!!

She will be surely be missed Matt. I hope Sandy will be okay through this time also...give my best to all the family my friend...you know where I'm at if you need anything.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm very sorry to hear that. When i was thirteen we had to put down our dog of 12 years because of heartworms. It was really hard on all of us. She'll always be with you at heart and your thoughts no one can take that away from you. Be strong
Old 09-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Ginger Hater

matt i'm sorry to hear about molli....i've always liked beagles.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

I have 2 Beagles and I don't even want to think what it is going to be like when we lose 1 of them. Sorry for your loss and remember the good times.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Texas Director

Here are a few pics of Molli.
Attached Thumbnails Had to put my dog down today...-molli-aimee-2007.jpg   Had to put my dog down today...-molli-2006.jpg   Had to put my dog down today...-molli-chloe-2007.jpg   Had to put my dog down today...-molli-sleeping-bag.jpg  
Old 09-13-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Renis...what the hell is that thing in the 3rd pic...? Is that an over grown bat with 4 legs and clipped wings...?

LOL...sorry Chloe Chloe...

BTW great pic with Amy and Molly...beautiful girl as always.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DJ's Z
Renis...what the hell is that thing in the 3rd pic...? Is that an over grown bat with 4 legs and clipped wings...?

LOL...sorry Chloe Chloe...

BTW great pic with Amy and Molly...beautiful girl as always.
Sorry for your loss... My mom has a couple of small pups and they kinda seem like my lil bro's now.... One of the pups seems to be getting really fat, so she might be pregnant.... THe alleged father looks like the one in the 3rd pic...

Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Ugh. I'm so sorry. Our pets do so much for us just by being their own stupid selves. I've always grown up with cats and/or dogs and it's never easy saying goodbye to a family member. Cherish the good times.

-Mike