12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New licence plate law passed?

Does anyone know anything about this?

80R7932 ACP-D

By: Brown of Brazos H.B. No. 1666

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
relating to the number of license plates to be issued for and displayed on a motor vehicle.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter A, Chapter 502, Transportation Code, is amended by adding Section 502.010 to read as follows:
Sec. 502.010. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including Section 502.180, the department shall issue only one license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued.
(b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including Section 502.404(a), a person is entitled to operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays only one license plate if the plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle. A person may operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if both plates were assigned by the department for the registration period as a set of plates.
(c) In any provision of this code that relates to the issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of plates," the term means only one license plate.
SECTION 2. The change in law made by this Act regarding the issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of Transportation applies only to the issuance of license plates by the department for a registration period beginning on or after the effective date of this Act. For a registration period that begins before the effective date of this Act, the department shall issue license plates as required by the law in effect immediately before the effective date of this Act, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 3. This Act takes effect September 1, 2007.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...0R&Bill=HB1666

looks like its still just in House Committee
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Launching!

it would be awesome not have an lp up front. car would look cleaner & air could get to the radiator of fmic....

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/36/3656.asp

A number of special interest groups have fought over the design of specialty license plates in Texas over the past few weeks. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People cheered the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) board last month for rejecting a "Sons of Confederate Veterans" plate the group found racially offensive. An American Indian group blasted a plate honoring the Buffalo Soldiers, a regiment of black troops who served in the US Army from the end of the Civil War through 1951. These plate conflicts may turn out to be unnecessary because beginning on January 1, 2012, the use of license plates in the Lone Star State becomes optional. According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, current law mandates the display of two license plates -- one at the front and another at the rear of a vehicle. Failure to comply is a misdemeanor offense punishable by a $200 fine under Texas Code Section 502.404. As part of a sweeping revision of the state vehicle code, however, that provision will soon disappear.

House Bill 2357 was intended as a non-controversial 234-page update to existing law. It passed the state House on May 29 voted 139-6 and the state Senate 31-0, receiving the signature of Governor Rick Perry (R) on June 17.

"The motor vehicle statutes were codified in 1995, but there has not been a complete reorganization of substance since before that time," Representative Joseph Pickett (D-El Paso) wrote in his justification of the legislation. "This bill directly addresses the problem of the statutes being outdated in regard to automation and organization."

As part of the update, the new law deleted the license plate statute, returning parts of it to Section 502.473 and 504.943. In moving around the legal language, the bill went through the entire legislative process without anybody noticing that a key line was deleted without providing a replacement: "An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200."

Without the line, it is not clear whether police officers or courts would have the authority to impose a punishment on drivers who chose not to display license plates or registration stickers, especially in jurisdictions that still use red light cameras. Driving with a false or altered plate remains a misdemeanor, however. Lawmakers will not have a chance to remedy their mistake until January 8, 2013 when the legislature reconvenes, unless Governor Perry calls a special session specifically to address the license plate issue
Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

When I got the antique plates for my Malibu Wagon, they only gave me one plate. So I have no front LP, no window sticker and antique plates means, no more state inspection.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Toecutter
When I got the antique plates for my Malibu Wagon, they only gave me one plate. So I have no front LP, no window sticker and antique plates means, no more state inspection.
sweet....so, what qualifies as antique?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by green manalishi
sweet....so, what qualifies as antique?
20 years and older I believe. Only thing is your car can't be a daily driver.But I have seen plenty of guy's go on Power Tour with Antique plates and they get no hassles. I drive my wagon all the time and I have yet to run into problems. If you get pulled over, just tell the cop you are going to or coming back from a mechanics shop. They will leave you alone.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Staging Lane

I know a guy that daily drives a old 70s suburban with antique plates he drives like 20miles eachway been doing it for like 5yrs now no issues!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Launching!

cool, my 93 supra will be an antique soon...

...i only drive it 1-3 times a wk.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toecutter
20 years and older I believe. Only thing is your car can't be a daily driver.But I have seen plenty of guy's go on Power Tour with Antique plates and they get no hassles. I drive my wagon all the time and I have yet to run into problems. If you get pulled over, just tell the cop you are going to or coming back from a mechanics shop. They will leave you alone.
I believe it's 25 years. a classic is also 25 years, but you have to have a inspection. And less than 3000 miles a year, only to shows and such. Not to work or the grocery store or a beer run etc..................
Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish New York would go for the one plate law!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are we good to run no plates? Or did they do an emergency session to fix this?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
I wish New York would go for the one plate law!
yeah , i hate running it or getting hassled , i do both , go to a big show and put the plate cover on and then leave it till i get bothered or wuss out
Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

We haven't been informed of it at my dept., and I don't really see anything getting passed soon. It wasn't even brought up in my new laws / legal update class recently.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Its still illegal to not run one on the front of a passenger car or truck with standard issue plates. From what I understand, the penalty has been removed for it but that doesn't mean some dick wad cop won't use it as a reason to pull you over.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, the rep that wrote that bill is under investigation by the US Marshals - he owned a Mitsubishi dealership and a Triumph motorcycle dealership. They would 'dealer finance' cars and bikes, show the vehicles still in inventory, but sticking customers' payments in his pocket...
Old 01-01-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there a site that has the most up to date law on this?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VinR1
Funny, the rep that wrote that bill is under investigation by the US Marshals - he owned a Mitsubishi dealership and a Triumph motorcycle dealership. They would 'dealer finance' cars and bikes, show the vehicles still in inventory, but sticking customers' payments in his pocket...
not too surprised....sounds like typical behavior for our reps
Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Teching In

If I remember right they have a chance on Jan 8th 2013 to correct this mistake. Until then people are waiting on what Att Gen Abbot will say what he will enforce.

But I have not had a front plate on a car for almost 15 years. I have receive 1 ticket back in 99 for it. Threw the plate in the wind shield, drove to the court house and paid the $10 admin fee after I told them it was on the front of the car...drove home and put it back in the garage...

http://www.texasgopvote.com/restore-...ailable-003613
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

We'll still make stops on it just to make contact, I wouldn't write at ticket unless someone was just being a douche. I never ran a front plate on any of my Fbodies but my trucks, not a big deal to me.