Who will replace Coach Fran??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who will replace Coach Fran??

Coach Fran is sooooooooooooooooo fired.

Here are the Top 5 possibilities according to http://sportsconversation.com/2007/1...ran-fire-fran/

1. Tommy Tuberville, HC, Auburn - Tuberville has not gotten along with Auburn big money since they had meeting with then Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino. That meeting became public knowledge and Tuberville lead the Tigers to an undefeated season the following year. Every since then, TT has floated his name out for various big jobs. Indication from his camp is he would be very interested in the A&M job if offered. Tuberville was the DC at A&M in 1995 when they went 10-0-1.

2. Jeff Tedford, HC, Cal - A lot of Dallas big money Ags are high on Tedford. He’s put numerous QBs in the NFL and took Cal from a Pac-10 door mat to possible national championship contender. Tedford has wanted improvements in the football facilities over the years, but the Cal faculty is against it. Plus he got a raise to about $1.5 million a few years ago and the Cal faculty had a fit. A&M would throw close to $2.5 million at him.

3. Mike Sherman, OC, Houston Texans - Sherman wanted the A&M job when Fran was hired. He’s a former HC in the NFL with the Packers and was once an o-line coach at A&M. He’s a smart coach, but hasn’t recruited in 10+ years.

4. Steve Spurrier, HC, South Carolina - I know, I didn’t think this was an option either. However, Spurrier makes about $1.75 million at SC and for an established HC, A&M has said to be willing to offer $3.5-4 million for Spurrier. Don’t know if its enough to pull him from the east coast, but its a lot of money.

5. Art Briles, HC, Houston - Briles is a former high school coach at Stevenville and has a great rep among high school coaches. He’s made Houston competitive, but his defenses have not been great and this season has been a down year.

Let the debate begin!!!

I think Tommy Tuberville or Steve Spurrier would be the best picks. They both have proven they can win year after year in the toughest conference in college football, which is something the Aggies haven't done in 10+ years.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned

Tuberville would be a good call...Spurrier would be an interesting option also considering his style of play and the typical Ag teams style of ground'n pound...
Old 11-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Launching!

6. my dog, doesn't really have good recruiting skills or any experience....better choice than fran
Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

texags top 5 prospects

spurrier
carroll
belichick
saban
paterno
Old 11-04-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
texags top 5 prospects

spurrier
carroll
belichick
saban
paterno
That list is a joke right?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white man
That list is a joke right?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spurrier isn't leaving the SEC, he gets what ever he wants at USC. Plus the guy isn't leaving the state with most golf courses in it than any other. Dude loves his golf.

Saban isn't leaving BAMA because they play second fiddle to no one in that state. Any offer ATM makes we be countered and crushed by BAMA. Plus this is one of the greatest jobs in the country and in the best conference.

Belichick, that one hurts when i laugh. NFL money and the way this season is going he's going to get paid big time.

Pete Carroll isn't leaving SO CAL. You know how much easier it is to recruit California for them. He competes against Cal, Stanford and a bunch of mid majors. Plus he's the show in L.A. for rootball. Lets be realistic, L.A. or College Station.

Paterno is the only one i could see happening.

It's most likely going to be an up and coming guy, not a big name.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Pimp

What's wrong with the list? Anything is better than getting your **** pushed every game. lol
Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That list is great but not realistic.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by Ben R
Coach Fran is sooooooooooooooooo fired.

Here are the Top 5 possibilities according to http://sportsconversation.com/2007/1...ran-fire-fran/

1. Tommy Tuberville, HC, Auburn - Tuberville has not gotten along with Auburn big money since they had meeting with then Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino. That meeting became public knowledge and Tuberville lead the Tigers to an undefeated season the following year. Every since then, TT has floated his name out for various big jobs. Indication from his camp is he would be very interested in the A&M job if offered. Tuberville was the DC at A&M in 1995 when they went 10-0-1.

2. Jeff Tedford, HC, Cal - A lot of Dallas big money Ags are high on Tedford. He’s put numerous QBs in the NFL and took Cal from a Pac-10 door mat to possible national championship contender. Tedford has wanted improvements in the football facilities over the years, but the Cal faculty is against it. Plus he got a raise to about $1.5 million a few years ago and the Cal faculty had a fit. A&M would throw close to $2.5 million at him.

3. Mike Sherman, OC, Houston Texans - Sherman wanted the A&M job when Fran was hired. He’s a former HC in the NFL with the Packers and was once an o-line coach at A&M. He’s a smart coach, but hasn’t recruited in 10+ years.

4. Steve Spurrier, HC, South Carolina - I know, I didn’t think this was an option either. However, Spurrier makes about $1.75 million at SC and for an established HC, A&M has said to be willing to offer $3.5-4 million for Spurrier. Don’t know if its enough to pull him from the east coast, but its a lot of money.

5. Art Briles, HC, Houston - Briles is a former high school coach at Stevenville and has a great rep among high school coaches. He’s made Houston competitive, but his defenses have not been great and this season has been a down year.

Let the debate begin!!!

I think Tommy Tuberville or Steve Spurrier would be the best picks. They both have proven they can win year after year in the toughest conference in college football, which is something the Aggies haven't done in 10+ years.
At least Ben has somewhat of a sane, realistic list.

1) I think Tuberville is the most likely candidate. It makes sense - coming from a big-time program where he's been successful, former A&M assistant, seems to have an interest in the job

2) I don't see Tedford leaving Cal for A&M. He's in a very nice cultural part of the country with Cal Berkley being one of the top academic schools plus the wine country there. Talk about a culture shock going from Berkley to College Station, lol

3) Sherman might be worth a look. He's got a lot of experience and is also a former A&M assistant. I don't think he'd generate the kind of buzz that $Bill is looking for though

4) This is hilarious. Spurrier isn't going to leave South Carolina to come to coach the Aggies. Whiteman nailed it. Golf means as much to him as does football and there aren't any golf courses around B/CS worth a flip. Zero chance to land Steve Superior

5) Art Briles is a damn good coach IMO. A&M would be wise to give him a hard look. If he continues to win at UH I don't think they're going to be able to keep him unless he just wants to be there.

IMO I think Tuberville gets the job.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
texags top 5 prospects

spurrier
carroll
belichick
saban
paterno
Ahh, gotta love the delusion over at Texags, lol. At least they can dream. None of those guys will even give A&M a sniff.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

i doubt they can pull out spurrier. tuberville looks like the money bet to me
Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mmiller

4) This is hilarious. Spurrier isn't going to leave South Carolina to come to coach the Aggies. Whiteman nailed it. Golf means as much to him as does football and there aren't any golf courses around B/CS worth a flip. Zero chance to land Steve Superior
Kind of off-topic, but we have two amazing courses that have been built in the last 3 years, and a couple other mediocre courses. Plus all the courses in Austin, Dallas, and Houston; which are all a short drive away.

http://www.traditionsclub.com/Course...7341ec5ab.html

http://www.miramont.cc/default.aspx?...ed=pnl4Item0-0

I don't think he would come either, but we do have some golf.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:23 AM
LS7 Member

That list is great but not realistic.
It was a joke... The texasags ref was dead giveaway
Old 11-04-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

BTW, that isn't my list. That list was given by the link in my original post.

I think Tuberville has the best chance for the job, but I think everybody saying Spurrier won't leave because of golf is crazy. The Aggies are talking about more than doubling his salary, and money talks.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by Ben R
BTW, that isn't my list. That list was given by the link in my original post.

I think Tuberville has the best chance for the job, but I think everybody saying Spurrier won't leave because of golf is crazy. The Aggies are talking about more than doubling his salary, and money talks.
Ben, when he took the So. Carolina job Spurrier mentioned that the golf courses around that area were a big plus in his decision to come to Columbia. The guy is consumed with golf as much as he is with football. Zero chance Spurrier picks up and moves from Columbia, SC to College Station. I agree, Tuberville is most likely candidate.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

I don't care as much about the name as long as the guy can recruit and win thats all that matters!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
It was a joke... The texasags ref was dead giveaway
Belichick is the only i haven't heard aggies mention in a serious conversation. So seeing him mixed with the other names regardless of the source was not a give away. yes i do read texags.

What i have read is that they don't want Briles, mainly cause he graduated from Tech. What they don't know is he played for UH and his parents were killed in a car wreck before the cotton bowl, they were on the way to see him play. He decided to head back home and finish at school at Tech near family. His offense is nothing like Techs. He has a very close relationship with Bill Yoeman and Yoeman is the one that got him the job at UH, I don't see him going any where else soon.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 AM
LS7 Member

Belichick is the only i haven't heard aggies mention in a serious conversation. So seeing him mixed with the other names regardless of the source was not a give away. yes i do read texags.
Well theres your problem right there.

How delusional must a group be to have "serious conversation" that includes the afformentioned names?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Launching!

evo ruins conversation by turning intelligent arguments into ag bashing...like always