Emergency

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency

Yesterday, the car ran outta gas (I think, the gas light was on, I had passed the magic 180 miles on the tank). I have put about 3 gallons in it, but it still wont start. I tried crankin and crankin, and now the battery is getting weak. I am gonna give it a shot again tomorrow. Anything im doing wrong, or not doing. Can i push start it, its a 6 speed. Am I looking at any damages done from running outta gas. Need help asap, its my only ride. Any help will be HIGHLY appreciated. Thanx
Old 11-06-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

whe u turn the key to the on position do you hear the fuel pump turn on?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Teching In

yeah, i did that like 20 times already, trying to get some gas in the engine. It seems like its trying to start but just wont start.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Resident

You got your foot on the accelerator when you're crankin right?

These cars definitely don't like runnin outta gas & may take a lil while to get gas down back in there and get it refired
Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 AM
Teching In

i tried it a couple of times. i thought that since they are fuel injected it wouldnt make a difference. I can hear the combustion, it just wont turn over, it sounds like it wants to start but just wont. Having a cam isnt helping either i think.
i just hope i didnt damage the motor, it has maybe a 1000 miles on it, if that....just had it rebuilt....im already broke......if i mess it up, im gonna have to get rid of it
Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its your pump, end of story.

Reason: the fuel pumps on the lt/ls cars thrive off fuel(that is they use fuel as their lubricant) . Without fuel the gears dry up and ...hence...dead pump.

Cost about 250 to install unless you do it yourself. Get a walbro 255 for 150 on their website. END OF STORY. My friends have had this happen.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by The95Z
its your pump, end of story.

Reason: the fuel pumps on the lt/ls cars thrive off fuel(that is they use fuel as their lubricant) . Without fuel the gears dry up and ...hence...dead pump.

Cost about 250 to install unless you do it yourself. Get a walbro 255 for 150 on their website. END OF STORY. My friends have had this happen.
Exactly what ^he said. You definitely don't want to run out of gas in these LSX vehicles as it will burn up your fuel pump. You're going to have to replace your fuel pump, which is inside your gas tank. There are many of the sponsors on here that can do this for you.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

fule pump is dead
Old 11-06-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

please change your fuel filter while your down there....
Old 11-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

check your fuses..
Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Im having a real hard time believing that the fuel pump is automatically toast b/c he ran outa fuel. I did this a number of times(I am ashamed to admit), and I never had any issues with my STOCK fuel pump. I think yall are being a lil trigger happy. A easy check is to just push in the schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail and see if it has pressure, IF for some reason you cant hear the fuel pump engaging. Im not saying your fuel pump ISNT the culprit, just dont get ready to drop the tank yet. Futhermore, make sure you are getting spark. Dissconnect the coil wire from the opti and touch it to something metal. You should beable to see/hear a spark. Sometimes things fail at odd times. Good luck man!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
Im having a real hard time believing that the fuel pump is automatically toast b/c he ran outa fuel. I did this a number of times(I am ashamed to admit), and I never had any issues with my STOCK fuel pump. I think yall are being a lil trigger happy. A easy check is to just push in the schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail and see if it has pressure, IF for some reason you cant hear the fuel pump engaging. Im not saying your fuel pump ISNT the culprit, just dont get ready to drop the tank yet. Futhermore, make sure you are getting spark. Dissconnect the coil wire from the opti and touch it to something metal. You should beable to see/hear a spark. Sometimes things fail at odd times. Good luck man!

the fuel pump is cooled by fuel, it defiantly sounds like his is toast
Old 11-06-2007, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Sure, that is the nature of any in-tank, electric fuel pump...is it not? You can certainly burn up a fuel pump by leaving the key on with no fuel, but I just dont buy it happening because the car ran outa fuel. That would mean that it had burned up in like 10seconds or something. Like I said, I have ran out many times and never had a fuel pump fail. I do know a guy, however who burned one up when he passed out drunk in his truck with it running(after having driven home) and it ran outa fuel! Straight burned that bitch up! But that was after hours of running with no fuel.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sure, that is the nature of any in-tank, electric fuel pump...is it not? You can certainly burn up a fuel pump by leaving the key on with no fuel, but I just dont buy it happening because the car ran outa fuel. That would mean that it had burned up in like 10seconds or something. Like I said, I have ran out many times and never had a fuel pump fail. I do know a guy, however who burned one up when he passed out drunk in his truck with it running(after having driven home) and it ran outa fuel! Straight burned that bitch up! But that was after hours of running with no fuel.
just...stop.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Texas Director

A lot of people are saying it's the fuel pump that's the problem because we have experience with these cars and know that running them out of fuel is almost a sure fire cause of ruining the pump. I can say from my knowledge of this it is about 90% likely that the fuel pump is toast.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmiller
A lot of people are saying it's the fuel pump that's the problem because we have experience with these cars and know that running them out of fuel is almost a sure fire cause of ruining the pump. I can say from my knowledge of this it is about 90% likely that the fuel pump is toast.
EXACTLY...like i said...END OF STORY
Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Definitely the fuel pump but I think a few people already beat me to it This is the reason why I never let my gas tank go below 1/4 tank
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Whatever....either way02SStreetmachine, before you go dumping money into a fuel pump, investigate all other sources first. People are often to quick to 'swap parts' in an attempt to remedy.
"My knowledge" says that it is unlikely. Sorry Im not on the bandwagon.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whatever....either way02SStreetmachine, before you go dumping money into a fuel pump, investigate all other sources first. People are often to quick to 'swap parts' in an attempt to remedy.
"My knowledge" says that it is unlikely. Sorry Im not on the bandwagon.
well it has been "common knowledge" that the fuel pumps burn out when you run out of fuel
Old 11-06-2007, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

If every fuel pump "burns up" after a vehicle runs out of fuel(yeah, like that doesnt happen thousands of times every day), they better start stocking them on the shelves of gas stations and Wal Marts' everywhere right next to the gas jugs. Maybe a package deal?