Sad day....it's a done deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008 | 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Default Sad day....it's a done deal!!!

Well gentleman, after 5 years in the mortgage industry and being partners in two mortgage companies.........I have decided that I'm closing up shop at the end of the month.

With that being said, I need another job! I do NOT have a college degree and the only experience I have is almost 10 years in sales, sales management, and finance. I am going to have to stay in sales since this is my background and I need to make a respectable amount of money. Also, I'm getting married in 3 months which adds a little extra stress to the situation.

I am reaching out to you guys to help me choose my career path because I have absolutely no idea what to do next. Of course I feel I could sell anything but I want to find a great company that I can plan on spending the next ten+ years with.

Salesman out there, what do you sell?? Any suggestions, previous or current experiences that I should look into would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

J.R. Thomas
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1stz06
Well gentleman, after 5 years in the mortgage industry and being partners in two mortgage companies.........I have decided that I'm closing up shop at the end of the month.

With that being said, I need another job! I do NOT have a college degree and the only experience I have is almost 10 years in sales, sales management, and finance. I am going to have to stay in sales since this is my background and I need to make a respectable amount of money. Also, I'm getting married in 3 months which adds a little extra stress to the situation.

I am reaching out to you guys to help me choose my career path because I have absolutely no idea what to do next. Of course I feel I could sell anything but I want to find a great company that I can plan on spending the next ten+ years with.

Salesman out there, what do you sell?? Any suggestions, previous or current experiences that I should look into would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

J.R. Thomas

dont be a car salesman... some of them rake in the funds, and some dont.
also dont be a shoe salesman.... Unless its at a prissy shoe place where all the women come in and you put their shoes on.. But then that sucks cuz if you get a stinker.. LOL...

Get into the sales of servers, to large corporate companies..
A buddy of mine is a server salesman and makes some pretty good ******* money.. I do servers from a technical level. And his money makes me want to become a salesman.. BUT NOT>>
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:33 PM
10-Second Club

Dude, you are in Houston, do oil & gas sales! Most of the companies know what they want, so it's more about you just taking care of them & their orders.
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

yep oil & gas is where the money is at. Here is DFW we have tons of Gas co.'s My friend sells drill bits for the Gas drillers and he banks good.....(******* )
Old 01-15-2008 | 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tons of mortgage companies hiring in Houston right now. You want to stay in that? Countrywide is hiring in Houston, Countrywide KB Home Loans is hiring in Houston, Lennar has their own mortgage company and they're hiring in Houston. Let me know if you need some contacts.

Good luck!
99 FRC
Old 01-15-2008 | 07:22 PM
Launching!

Transportation sales is great to get into. Air freight makes BIG bank and companies are always looking for experienced sales guys. Something a little different and there will always be a need for transportation!
Old 01-15-2008 | 07:56 PM
Launching!

Medical supply sales, dental supply sales, or pharmacuetcal sales are pretty good. I have friends in each industry
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99FRC
Tons of mortgage companies hiring in Houston right now. You want to stay in that? Countrywide is hiring in Houston, Countrywide KB Home Loans is hiring in Houston, Lennar has their own mortgage company and they're hiring in Houston. Let me know if you need some contacts.

Good luck!
99 FRC
I am definately getting out of the industry altogether. Once you own your own business it is pretty hard to work retail. I was the 2nd top producer in the company for Countrywide's sub-prime lending division. I quite as a branch manager and opened up my own company. Best thing I ever did.

Things are horrible in the business all across the board and they are going to get worse for the wholesale side before it is all said and done.

So, time for a new industry and I am truly excited and ready for a new challenge.

Cheers to all!

J.R.
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
Medical supply sales, dental supply sales, or pharmacuetcal sales are pretty good. I have friends in each industry
I would LOVE to get in medical sales of some sort! I don't see a lot of opportunities out there though. Pharm. sales you need to have a bach. degree which I don't have.

I have seen a lot of opening for "agents" but it is contract work, 1099'ed with no benefits or retirement. Seems too much like a pyramid scheme to me.

I like the way you are thinking. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks!
J.R.
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/bu...=1&oref=slogin
There are a ton of better articles but don't care to look them all up but I look forward to all the people in the sub prime and adjustable rate mortgage business to have a hard time. It there own fault .... Not saying you particularly but the business itself.... I don't really feel bad for all the people that where ignorant enough to get caught up in the adjustable rate mortgages either though...
Old 01-16-2008 | 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Damn man, I'm really sorry to hear this. Whatever you decide to do, I don't have any doubt that you'll be successful. I might be coming to Houston this weekend. I'll give you a shout.
Old 01-16-2008 | 11:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NiceTry
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/bu...=1&oref=slogin
There are a ton of better articles but don't care to look them all up but I look forward to all the people in the sub prime and adjustable rate mortgage business to have a hard time. It there own fault .... Not saying you particularly but the business itself.... I don't really feel bad for all the people that where ignorant enough to get caught up in the adjustable rate mortgages either though...
Come on, living outside your means is the American way.
Old 01-16-2008 | 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Cheers!

J.R. Thomas

fax your resume to me!

1-877-869-0740....... look at the co. for ticker symbol IAR....... we are doing work down in houston stafford, league city, bryan college station etc..... great co.... sales... been doing it for over 8 years.
Old 01-16-2008 | 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am definately getting out of the industry altogether. Once you own your own business it is pretty hard to work retail. I was the 2nd top producer in the company for Countrywide's sub-prime lending division. I quite as a branch manager and opened up my own company. Best thing I ever did.

Things are horrible in the business all across the board and they are going to get worse for the wholesale side before it is all said and done.

So, time for a new industry and I am truly excited and ready for a new challenge.

Cheers to all!

J.R.

I worked for Full Spectrum and then for Countrywide KB as a team manager. Just transferred over to CMD to originate in the prime group here in Plano. Things suck on the sub prime side, but prime is still rolling along, so I'm going to ride it out. I make too much for other jobs and can't take a pay cut.

...and to the poster about sub prime... don't believe all the media hype. Unless you are in the business, you couldn't possibly understand the magnitude of the meltdown in a business model that was functioning fine one day and not functioning at all the next. Think of it like you wrote checks for your bills, anticipating your pay check being deposited the next day, but the pay check never got deposited and your employer went out of business. The only difference is we were writing $50 billion in loans per month, and one day, because of the media hype and congressional interfering, we couldn't sell any of them, not even the good ones. Countrywide had $182 billion dollars in cash when this started and ran out in 5 months. Had this not happened, the sub prime defaults would have been tolerable and more than offset by good prime lending for the majority of companies. Just an FYI...

99 FRC
Old 01-17-2008 | 09:19 AM
10-Second Club

I'm sorry but I've personally known a few people to recently get sub prime loans that have no business getting into a house. The whole 'if you don't want to prove your income, you can still get the loan but just pay a little more interest' is not a sound business model. That's why you see the companies that were too smart to get involved in sub prime lending still doing ok.