Questions about total tool cost.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about total tool cost.

I know im in college but i have been thinking lately about plans for whenever i have a garage and whatnot about what kinda tools i want setup, hopfully i'll have something to work on heh..here's what im thinking.

Tool box
Work Bench ( prolly made from wood, dad used to have a sturdy workbench that lasted forever )
Jack Stand = $100
Engine Hoist
Engine Stand
Tall jack stands

Now with the tools:

Torque wrench
Set of metric wrenches ranging from 8mm-21mm
Set of standard wrenches with the same range ( i dont know standard very well )
I want the same thing with my ratchets, good set of metric and standard. includign some extentions.
A good set of screw drivers, maybe 3 of ea. considering they would vary in size.
Air impact gun, ratchet gun, air hammer, wheel cutter, air drill.with matching accesories.

Finally, who do yall use for your tools? I know my dad has mainly craftsman, but some snap-on too. craftsman is nice, but i think it seems expensive. I do think my dad would slap me but, anyone ever use kobalt? How much would all of this run me?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
10-Second Club

I don't think there is a huge price difference between Kobalt & Craftsman. Also, check out the exchange policy with Kobalt, at Sears you can walk in & exchange broken tools unless they have changed that.

Crawl around craigslist & look for used tools as well...you got the right idea but jack stands don't cost that much, especially since you will want the smaller ones for an F-body.

Get a good creeper also, skip the cheap *** ones and get a decent one from the get go. If you plan on having friends help you a lot, get a 2nd one and maybe go cheap on that one since it won't see as much duty, but it's nice to have a spare when stabbing trannies.

If you think Craftsman tools are expensive, you obviously haven't priced SnapOn, Matco, Mac, or Cornwell.

SK & Proto are also decent brands if you see some posted up used.

Don't go cheap on tools, Craftsman is probably what I would recommend as entry level quality tools, you don't want anything cheaper than those...at least for you main tools. Now, there are some things you can go cheap on, but your basic wrenches, sockets & ratchets should be a good brand.

Craftsman also has a professional series that are pretty nice as well.

As far as boxes go, Sams Club has some nice tool boxes from time to time, Harbor Freight are pretty good bang for the buck as well. Craftsman boxes are also good & I've seen some Kobalt boxes that were nice....Get a bigger box than you think you need, it won't be long & you will wish you had a bigger box.

When you buy tools, if you buy good ones, they will last a lifetime (unless it's a part that you beat on constantly or a consumable). I've had some of my tools for over 15 years now, and a few that are much older hand me downs from my dad.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 PM
10-Second Club

Unless you are working on trucks, you don't need tall jack stands really. For all the stuff you have listed & plus a lot of the stuff you would want that you don't have listed, you are looking at least at $2500 and that's just a ball park starting point.

You forgot hammers, pliers, compressor, hoses, floor jack, etc., etc.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i actually just spent a few minutes at lowes site, i figure i can get most of that stuff ( all kobalt ) for around 1200 bucks. thats without a workbench ( which dad and i would build of wood ) and an air compressor. Also, the box is what cost a crap ton, the tools themselves arnt bad but a box can be stupid expensive.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
10-Second Club

They sell engine hoists? Also, I'm sure you are over looking some tools. If you are dead set on Kobalt, then you should just buy what you want instead of asking our opinions. I've seen them go from a big tool selection to a crap tool selection over the last few years, I'd be skeptical about buying their hand tools & expecting them to always be there to warranty out. Craftsman has been there for as long as I've been alive & I've never had an issue swapping out broken tools. There are some things that actually are worth the money. Tools are definitely one of them. There 'are' some good cheap tools out there, lots of the forged or chrome vandium cheap-O tools from Harbor Freight or similar places will work fine for about 80% of the stuff you work on...hell, I use cheap impact sockets & my 1/2 sockets are Popular Mechanic brand from Wal-Mart. But back when I got them, I was a tractor mechanic & 99% of everything I touched was fractional inches, I only got them just in case. I think there is a tool section of the forum & this has probably been beat to death, you should probably troll on over there.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have all craftsman, you can walk in and exchange them when broken, same thing with napa. i have some napa tools too.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i looked at craftsman too, they're resonably priced. they sell tis on set that costs like $8500!!! i like the return pollicy held by sears and weighs a lot. what other tool manu facturers are there? what about impac tools?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:17 PM
10-Second Club

What are you mainly going to be doing? Just hot rod type stuff here & there?

If so, I'll tell you what I have...I had a nice Chicago Pneumatics 1/2 Impact but it was stollen, the better brands can get pretty expensive, some of the best are Ingersol Rand, but for just doing your own stuff, not turning wrenches for a living, there are some good cheap alternatives. I have a Campell Housefield or what ever brand Wal-mart has, but I got the better one they carry I think it was around $65 or so & it works well. I also have the 3/8" air ratchet they offer & it works well also. My 3/8 impact & 1/4 air ratchet are SnapOn or Mac or something from a tool truck & are also great tools. Some of the air tools the tool truck guys use are just re-badged Ingersol units. Avoid the cheaper little 'kit' that you can get with air tools, those are usually the bottom of the line, you can get decent tools in the lower end brands....

As for Craftsman, they offer several kits you can order & save some good money on if you just buy the big kit. This is the ideal way to do it if you can afford to. Hell, if you have a decent interest rate, pay them some cash & charge the rest, you will still probably save $$ in the end if you don't take for ever to pay it off.