Anyone here us AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks, Architecture, 3ds Max etc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone here us AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks, Architecture, 3ds Max etc?

Anyone here us AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks, Architecture, 3ds Max etc? Just tryin to see if anyone else here uses these programs. I know CAD, and I know Architecture, it is the new version of Architectural Desktop, and now I'm teaching myself Inventor 2008. Inventor is basically Autodesk's answer to SolidWorks and I prefer it. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

I use autocad and AD. I really would like to take some classes to gain more ability at 3D modeling. 3DSM can do some really sweet stuff.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, i know 3ds max or Viz, same thing, its pretty cool, good for animation and rendering and making some cool shapes. Inventor is more of production and making things work. it has its own tutorials, they are good ones too.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use CAD at work everyday.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Banned

I like both Inventor and Solidworks. They are very similar to each other, but I prefer Inventor over Solidworks. They are both fairly easy to learn. I started 3D on PROe, but haven't used PROe in years. PROe is a different animal than Solidworks and Inventor, so you can't really compare. Much more powerful and efficient once you get up to speed, but very pricey for all the support and add-ons. PROe is the 'CTS-V' of 3D software and Solidworks and Inventor are both just a really clean f-body with a 402 aluminum block. You see what I mean, you can't hardly compare the two. Both are cool and get the job done, but if money were no object, I would go PROE (but of course you don't have to worry about it if your company is paying)
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, i like Inventor better because its more user friendly and the stuff is easier to find. I am learning SolidWorks too but so far its more difficult, im gonna look into PROe too.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have used two versions of autocad in the past and now proe this semester and so far i like the ease of use of proE
Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a aas in vehicle design with cad, catia, and ug and have work exp. with ug. catia's my fav though to mess around with.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The only one I haven't used that you listed is Architecture.

William
Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Teching In

yeah i do cad and 3ds max
Old 03-14-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike96z
Anyone here us AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks, Architecture, 3ds Max etc? Just tryin to see if anyone else here uses these programs. I know CAD, and I know Architecture, it is the new version of Architectural Desktop, and now I'm teaching myself Inventor 2008. Inventor is basically Autodesk's answer to SolidWorks and I prefer it. Pretty cool stuff.
The really cool thing is that with a couple years experience under your belt you can make anywhere from $25 - $50 per hour right now.

Right now I'm using Autocad and Solidworks (just finished the basic Solidworks class yesterday). I used Inventor some at my last job and I think its better than Solidworks, but we'll see how it goes here.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, Inventor caught up and passed solidworks if you ask me. Im gonna look into Pro/e today. I taught myself basic Inventor just by doing the supplied tutorials.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 AM
10-Second Club

Usually it doesn't matter what you 'want' to use, it's a matter of where you work & what 'they' use. I've been using AutoCAD since about release 9, used Mechanical Desktop which was Autodesk's first stab at a 3D package, although you can do 3D in regular AutoCAD, it's daunting. I'm still using AutoCAD & also SolidWorks. Our department is the only one that uses AutoCAD where I work, everyone else in the whole company uses Microstation & we all use Solidworks & it's what we are moving over to. I would have liked for us to try Inventor but Solidworks caught on first & most companies tend to be a few years late waiting for technology to get stabilized & well tested before changing over to a new system. Hell, we still haven't all rolled out to Windows XP yet, lol.

So, although you may like Inventor 08, you will probably be hard pressed to find anyone in the work place using it.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

I am using AutoCad 06 right now. I started out playing with Cad about a decade ago. I want to go back to school and take a course or two on 3d, which 3d is the best bang for the buck? Inventor, Solidworks or other? Would it be best just to buy the software and do the tutorials or actually take some classes on it? I seemed to have learned more with on job training than I did in college.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use Autocad on a daily basis at work and I know the basics of Microstation but I'm not a big fan. I've taken one semester of a class that's teaching us inventor and I have to say I love Inventor. It's sooo much easier than autocad's 3d modeler and is just a much nicer program for anything 3d.

Randy,
For something like inventor I would recommend maybe taking a course to learn the basics of it if you don't have any experience with 3d modeling, but after you get the fundamentals down it's pretty straight forward.

Last edited by tylerdj; 03-14-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just out of curiosity, how much are the people who are drafters making? and how much experience do you have?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

It all depends on what you draw. If you draw P&ID, your going to make more money with the plants all around here. Anything in electrical or pipe pays well. I stuck with architecture as I enjoy it so I probably make a little less but I love my job/company so its worth it to me. I am the lead designer here and also I am the one that does all of the estimating for projects.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:20 AM
10-Second Club

Drafters usually make around $15-25 an hour, once you have been drafting for a while, you can usually get bumped up to a designer where you do a lot of the same work an Engineer does, you just get paid less for it, lol. That's what I do. I'll be going back to school to get a degree, I keep plugging away at a class here & there, but I'm just not sure if I'll get a mechanical engineering degree or go back into IT & get an MIS degree. My friend works at Exxon & is already making some nice bank with his MIS degree & I think he's out pacing most ME's I know salary wise already in his first few years at Exxon. Granted I have a lot of experience so if I got my engineering degree, I'd be pretty far ahead of the curve & be able to get a better salary than a green horn engie.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

I use AutoCAD2008 at work and Revit. If you ask me my choice is Inventor 10 but I work at a structural firm so not much use for Inventor.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

I have been using Solidworks for the last 7 years and I love it. Also use Autocad on occasion. For anyone interested in learning 3D drafting, it pays to take classes to learn the basic concepts. Then practice it daily or you will forget it. And for those that have machine shop skills, learn 3D drafting and you can draw up the parts you desire and machine them right up.

edit: I work in the medical device industry and work help design and update all of our current drawing packages for our fixtures and machinery.

Last edited by Kurlee Daddee; 03-14-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone here us AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks, Architecture, 3ds Max etc?