MTI no longer does F-bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008 | 01:04 PM
10-Second Club

I bet they will catch hell with all the people with 'life time' tunes.
Old 03-17-2008 | 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Comming from a business standpoint I dont blame em. If you owned a shop and could sit back making all your money from cam installs on vettes you would do it too. Big motor stuff is just a bonus.
Old 03-17-2008 | 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Modsquad
I bet they will catch hell with all the people with 'life time' tunes.
Thats me, dont need one now but will in the future.
Old 03-17-2008 | 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

i was maybe one of the last lucky ones to get work done by them.

they are still doing work on f-bodys on a case by case basis i believe. also, if you have a lifetime tune with MTI i believe you still will be able to get your tuning done with them.
Old 03-17-2008 | 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I spoke to them about this decision a few weeks ago. There are several reasons for this, and here are a few of them:

1. They are already very busy for the amount of staff they have, working on Corvettes alone. They are also getting into Viper, Ford GT, etc... markets.

2. F-body parts in general are "whored out" in the industry, and businesses aren't making as much as they used to by selling them. This decision then makes sense from a business perspective.

3. Most of the F-bodies that come in for work are molested or hacked up (stripped bolts, missing items, damaged, crappy DIY wiring jobs, shadetree mechanic shortcuts, etc...) and are MORE difficult to work on than a 100% stock vehicle.

4. The majority of F-bodies are high mileage cars, with high mileage engines and trannys. This adds a liability risk for modifying the engines. Putting heads/cam on an 80K mile shortblock is just asking for early disaster.

5. This isn't a "shop vs shop" ****-talking opportunity for some of you reading this. In fact, MTI has been recommending various Houston area shops to f-body owners that need work done. If anything, this decision HELPS those other smaller shops that you might deal with.

These are all valid points, and I tend to agree with them. Right now, they just do not have the capacity to handle the F-body work.
Old 03-17-2008 | 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I spoke to them about this decision a few weeks ago. There are several reasons for this, and here are a few of them:

1. They are already very busy for the amount of staff they have, working on Corvettes alone. They are also getting into Viper, Ford GT, etc... markets.
2. F-body parts in general are "whored out" in the industry, and businesses aren't making as much as they used to by selling them. This decision then makes sense from a business perspective.
3. Most of the F-bodies that come in for work are molested or hacked up (stripped bolts, missing items, damaged, crappy DIY wiring jobs, shadetree mechanic shortcuts, etc...) and are MORE difficult to work on than a 100% stock vehicle.
4. The majority of F-bodies are high mileage cars, with high mileage engines and trannys. This adds a liability risk for modifying the engines. Putting heads/cam on an 80K mile shortblock is just asking for early disaster.

These are all valid points, and I tend to agree with them. Right now, they just do not have the capacity to handle the F-body work.

thats what i was told as well when i took my car up there. there was nothing but bad *** C6 Z06 everywhere. there were maybe 2 fbodies and my car being one of them.... felt so embarass to have my car next to those bad *** vettes.

Last edited by TXZ28LS1; 03-17-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:25 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

5. This isn't a "shop vs shop" ****-talking opportunity for some of you reading this. In fact, MTI has been recommending various Houston area shops to f-body owners that need work done. If anything, this decision HELPS those other smaller shops that you might deal with.

You just can't argue with that. It does make perfect sense IMO.
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:33 PM
Teching In

3. Most of the F-bodies that come in for work are molested

I see...
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I don't blame them. The Fbody market is literally flooded with businesses, why stick with a low profit market when you can step up into higher end markets and make more money.

I say good for them.
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:37 PM
LS7 Member

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
You just can't argue with that. It does make perfect sense IMO.
+1 .
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:49 PM
Launching!

With the increase in demand from the Corvette and SRT markets we have currently stopped installations on F-bodies at our facility. We still offer the usual F-body engine performance parts for walk in customers and mail order except for the MTI Air Lid. The WS6 Store now carries all of our F-body air lids and has plenty in stock.
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:53 PM
Launching!

Tony's outline pretty much explains it all.....
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Doesn't bother me one bit. I got turned down for tuning there originally because my car was a transplant car. Was told it was just too complicated. I found it odd when no one else had a problem simply plugging in and tuning.
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Good for Jayson, David and the Gang!
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zach@MTI
With the increase in demand from the Corvette and SRT markets we have currently stopped installations on F-bodies at our facility. We still offer the usual F-body engine performance parts for walk in customers and mail order except for the MTI Air Lid. The WS6 Store now carries all of our F-body air lids and has plenty in stock.
does this mean you guys are going to still do "life time" tunes on F-bodys? or am i going to be forced to look at other shops in the area to tune my car next month?
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mukyluk
does this mean you guys are going to still do "life time" tunes on F-bodys? or am i going to be forced to look at other shops in the area to tune my car next month?
Ya if you need some adjustments made bring it on by we'll take care of it!

Zach
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Modsquad
They did the same thing with LT1 cars shortly after LS1's came out, it's no big surprise. And I bet if you walk in there & ask them to put a 427 in your FBody they would do it.
Yup, they won't turn down big motor projects because that means big $$$. Good for them though, and like you said it's pretty much no surprise.It has always been about the guy who wants to spend the big money at MTI which is why their customer service has really sucked donkey ***** in the past. Sounds like it has gotten a lot better recently from what I read.
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

so If I bought a pristine low mileage ws6 in the near future MTI would not do heads/cam or a blower on my car?
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

LOL, this one made me laugh
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WildBills Toyota
so If I bought a pristine low mileage ws6 in the near future MTI would not do heads/cam or a blower on my car?
#2 and #5 in Tony's post covers that.

Quick Reply: MTI no longer does F-bodies?