damn...I almost got him

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default damn...I almost got him

My apartment was broken into in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago and the little **** got away with about 2500 in electronics from my place, including my fiance's 6 month old baby macbook. The same night there was a burglary of one of my neighbors and he got away with the guy's custom PC, probably built for gaming and not cheap. My neighbor didn't have any serials to go by so he's basically assed out of hope, but I had serials for the 360, camera and laptop that was taken from my place. The police chief (it's a small town) said he's got a guy who keeps on eye on pawn shops and checks out what they keep in the back and assured me that they're supposed to give serials over to the PD that's kept on a national data base, but they're fk'in pawn shops. Anyways I let the cops cover that, I didn't think he'd unload on one of them because the moneys not as good as other venues so I had been keeping my eye out on ebay and craigslist. Although there's about 1K macbooks for sale at any given time on ebay you can filter them to down to a handful rather quickly according to processor/memory/HD/screen/OS/color/etc. To give you an example when the machine in question came up, there were 4 out of that thousand that matched the exact specifications. Out of that 4, 2 were broken and being sold for parts. 1 mentioned, and had in the pics, scuff marks on the track pad, but there was a polymer protective film that was placed on the track pad the day it was bought of the one that was stolen. That left 1 out the neigh thousand macbooks that were for sale in the US that was a possible match. The seller lives 3 miles away. It also had an identifiable crack on the bottom side of the battery that was viewable the pics of the listing. I was pretty sure this was the one, so I set up an alternate email and ebay account to make the purchase, with a shipping address to my home town and not here at school. Here's how it went down,

Sunday night the auction ended and he gave me 3 days to make the payment. The listing insisted on paypal, so I waited for two days without word to fish his information. He came through and gave me his number, address, and actual name, in case I wanted to send a money order. I sent payment via paypal yesterday night at 6:40pm, he emailed me back at 8:00pm to set up a cancellation of the transaction and said that he would not be available till 9:30pm. I didn't get the email till after he called me at 9:30pm to explain that the laptop was broken and wanted to cancel the deal.

The story he gave me was not very coherent; he claimed that it had broken due to a problem with the logic board 3 months ago and sent it in to have it fixed by Apple, during which time he had bought another one to replace it, and that it had suddenly broken again due to the same problem. I then notified him that I was local and asked if he would let me check it out to see if we could work out an alternative deal, he declined and insisted on a refund.

I then called him at 10:20pm and talked the guy for a 10 minutes trying to work out a deal to go ahead and carry through with the transaction, even going so far to insist on offering the full sale price for the supposed broken computer and offering viable reasons as to why I would want to do so. He took a philanthropist stance and claimed that he was not comfortable with selling a broken machine at the full price, nor was he comfortable selling the broken machine at a discounted price. It was clear that he had no intention of letting me get my hands on it. He persistently declined but seemed like he was on the fence about the deal and said he would sleep on it, 20 minutes later he refunded the paypal transaction.

I took the story and info to the police chief and he said he'd look up his record pay him a visit, so we'll see. The sh*t would be well within his rights to tell the cop to go f'k himself, but when I spoke with him he never stone walled me, he came off rather flaky and uncomfortable with the situation.

I'm not quite sure how he put it together, but I assume it was within that hour after I had sent him the paypal payment and when he wanted to break off the deal. I thought I had covered my tracks by setting up an alternate ebay and email account to handle the transaction with the shipping out of town to my home address. The thing is, I had forgot that the paypal account was tied to the gmail account that I regularly use, and not the yahoo account that I set up to correspond with him. The laptop in question was my fiance's and she had kept her email client open and anyone whom it came into possession of it would have been able to browse her private letters and noticed that neigh half of her correspondences were with that particular gmail address.

I'm pissed that I came really close and don't have ****, but I guess I'm lucky my plasma's bolted to the wall. The guy's name is Blake Dill out of Abilene, the f'k was actually using an alias of Debbie on ebay.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 05-01-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

That is fucked, is give the POS a visit.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I don't want to stress him and make him come up with an added story, just want the cop to surprise him.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go kick his *** and take it myself but thats just how i am.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

He's still not in the clear..... good job.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Thats amazing and i honor you for taking the time to do that. Congrats and i hope the police make a visit to his door step.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Send some random friend over and tell him to say,"Mike told me you might have some good for sale you jacked the other day, got anything good left?"
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

what is the ebay account name that he has?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

hope it all comes through for you man. my g/f's laptop got stolen a while back. never even got close to the guy.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

****** blows, you got close man
Old 05-02-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would sit up on his house and kick his *** in his own yard, criminals don't like calling the police when they have a house full of stolen ****.... or wait till you get your stuff back then kick his ***
Old 05-02-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

I don't want to kick his ***, I want him to take it up the *** while he's in prison. Breaking and entering a place of residence isn't taken lightly in the great state of Texas, it's a second degree felony and on par with manslaughter. The reasoning is, or how the cop explained it, that if you work for an honest living then your house and everything in it is your life, it's what you've spent your life to aquire. The laptop and the PC were also felony class thefts, so there's 4 felony counts with 7-44 years and up to 40K in fines on the line in relation to this laptop. I want my stuff back but I'd rather see him pay for the crime.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 05-02-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

He could be ******* with you, I've got a Blake Dill that lives 20 minutes away, Hawley,Tx..
Old 05-02-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, the Blake C Dill of Hawley is "Unlisted..."
Old 05-02-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well hell...

What I'm getting is that Blake C Dill is 21, Lives in Hawley,Tx.

Lives with his parents and has no employment record at this time.

I've got two numbers and addresses at this time, seems they moved across town at some point, ofcourse there is no determined date here...

La dee dah, fuggin' tired..
Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure "debbie" is his mother's name... Ofcourse I'm just guessing...

-Rick
Old 05-02-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Resident

its karma man, they will get it eventually. just hopefully soon enough to where you can enjoy the sight of them suffering as you did when you lost your stuff. that is how i see it
Old 05-05-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for looking that up ricky, that's the fuggin guy alright. The listing was for Abilene and after I won the bid it gave the sellers information as coming out of Hawley, then after I waited for him to give over his actual address it was in east Abilene. His listing was for a Debbie; I'm sure his parents think he's a real ****** piece of work. I think I'll show up at his house and have a sit down with the little bitch's parents.

On a side note, there was a guy who got robbed up here at school over the weekend. I don't how it went down, but he the victim must have been woken up or something cause he wound up getting held at gun point. No telling if it's related but I didn't exactly have a lot of faith in the cops following up on the deal. I'm thinking that's a good lead, so we'll see.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 05-05-2008 at 02:02 AM.