My Uncle was awarded the Bronze Star v. Vietnam War

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Uncle was awarded the Bronze Star v. Vietnam War

Just thought I would share this with you since this was just brought over to me from my Grand Parents. James Calfee was my Grandmother's brother. He was the one boy surrounded with 4 sisters. LOL!!!

I would have loved to meet him, but alas, he was killed back in 1968.

Getting it framed with his flag as well as putting that info on a nice paper background.

There are a few books out about the event that occurred. National Geographic wants to do a movie/presentation on the event as well. Pretty wild stuff.

My Great Uncle is also up for the Medal of Honor with one other man who was there helping him get the other guys off of the hill (11 perished during this). Not sure if he will ever get it but who knows.

Last edited by BigBronco; 05-04-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only is it a Bronze Star, it's a Bronze Star with a valor attachment. Reading the citation it sounds like he deserved the M.O.H. I hope he gets it.

<S> to MSGT Calfee.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
Not only is it a Bronze Star, it's a Bronze Star with a valor attachment. Reading the citation it sounds like he deserved the M.O.H. I hope he gets it.

<S> to MSGT Calfee.

Yeah, I forgot to take a quick shot of the Valor Device. It may be a while, but I know a few of the uppers in the Air Force have submitted him for consideration for the M.O.H.

Here is another thing on him. (Also, if you want to read the whole situation there are a few books out there. One in specific for the account is "One Day Too Long" by

Here is an Overview of info with my Uncle.

* CALFEE, JAMES HENRY Name: James Henry Calfee
* Rank/Branch: E7/US Air Force
* Unit: TDY-Civilian/Lockheed, Lima Site 85, Phou Pha Thi, Laos
* Date of Birth: 05 January 1932
* Home City of Record: Newgulf TX
* Date of Loss: 11 March 1968
* Country of Loss: Laos
* Loss Coordinates: 202600N 1034400E (UH680600)
* Status (in 1973): Killed In Action/Body Not Recovered
* Category:
* Acft/Vehicle/Ground: Ground
* Refno: 2052
* Other Personnel In Incident: Clarence Blanton; James Davis; Henry Gish;Willis Hall; Melvin Holland; Herbert Kirk; David Price; Patrick Shannon;Donald Springsteadah; Don Worley (all missing from Lima 85); DonaldWestbrook (missing from SAR 13 March) Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 June 1990 from one or more ofthe following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondencewith POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.NETWORK 2005.
* SYNOPSIS:

When James Calfee volunteered for a sensitive assignment called Project Heavy Green, his wife had to sign a secrecy agreement too. Calfee, an Air Force man, was to be temporarily relieved of duty to take a civilian job with Lockheed Aircraft. He would be helping operate Lima 85, a radar base in Laos, whose neutrality prohibited U.S. military presence. The radar site would direct U.S. air traffic from Thailand over the hostile territory of Laos and into North Vietnam. No one was to know. Lima 85 was on a peak in the Annam Highlands near the village of Sam Neua on a 5860 ft. mountain called Phou Pha Thi. The mountain was protected by sheer cliffs on three sides, and guarded by 300 tribesmen working for CIA. Unarmed US "civilians" operated the radar which swept across the Tonkin Delta to Hanoi. For three months in early 1968, a steady stream of intelligence was received which indicated that communist troops were about to launch a major attack on
Lima 85. Intelligence watched as enemy troops even built a road to the area to facilitate moving heavy weapons, but the site was so important that William H. Sullivan, U.S. Ambassador to Laos, made the decision to leave the men in place. When the attack finally came March 11, some were rescued by helicopter, but eleven men were missing. The President announced a halt in the bombing of North Vietnam. Donald Westbrook was flying one of four A1Es orbiting on stand-by to search for survivors of the attack at Phou Pha Thi when his plane was shot down March 13. Westbrook was never found. Finding no survivors, the Air Force destroyed Lima 85 to prevent the equipment from falling into the hands of the enemy. In mid-March, Edna Calfee was notified that Lima Site 85 had been overrun by enemy forces, and that her husband and the others who had not escaped had been killed. Many years later, she learned that was not the whole truth.

Sorry for the long read. Look at it/read it if you wish.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

I'm surprised they actually put Laos on there, since we officially weren't "there".
I agree with what Blue said. From the sounds of it he could very likely also be awarded the MOH.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You may want to be paranoid and edit out his number - not sure what someone would even want with it, but you never know...
Old 05-04-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow. Individuals like him are who make our country great.

I worked for a guy that was in Laos back then and several other places since. He still won't let you take pictures of him with his face showing.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Banned

Yes sir!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

bad *** gray, thats something to be proud of
Old 05-04-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Pimp

That is awesome..
Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You know, one of the things that came down during D-Day was the decision to only award one M.O.H. per division (I think it was division size, it may have been smaller) during the assault on Normandy. How can you put a quota on heroism and bravery? Unfortunately I think your uncle may have been under the same award mentality or his mission was such that they didn't want the extra attention awarding a M.O.H. would have brought. Either way he deserved more, so much more, than a bronze star with valor. At the very minimum it should have been a D.S.C. like Maj. Winters received after the storming of the 105's at Brecourt Manor.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Damn, your uncle passed the year I was born, cant think of a way to thank him enough for the ultimate sacrifice he gave for such a political war. Anyways, I salute him.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely something to be proud of Gray.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, awesome. even though he isnt here with us today, it must feel great to have so much honor in your family.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

such a wild story. too bad we never had the chance to meet him.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Just thought I would share this with you since this was just brought over to me from my Grand Parents. James Calfee was my Grandmother's brother. He was the one boy surrounded with 4 sisters. LOL!!!

I would have loved to meet him, but alas, he was killed back in 1968.

Getting it framed with his flag as well as putting that info on a nice paper background.

There are a few books out about the event that occurred. National Geographic wants to do a movie/presentation on the event as well. Pretty wild stuff.

My Great Uncle is also up for the Medal of Honor with one other man who was there helping him get the other guys off of the hill (11 perished during this). Not sure if he will ever get it but who knows.
hate to tell you but i highly doubt your great uncle is up for the medal of honor they rarely tell anyone whos nominated for the award.

ps i am in no way saying your great uncle didnt do great things for the service.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28

<S> to MSGT Calfee.
"V" device not attachment lol
Old 05-06-2008, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96ta
hate to tell you but i highly doubt your great uncle is up for the medal of honor they rarely tell anyone whos nominated for the award.

ps i am in no way saying your great uncle didnt do great things for the service.
He was not nor was any of us saying MSGT Calfee was up for a Medal of Honor. It's of some of our opinions that he deserved the Medal of Honor in lieu of the Bronze Star with "V" device.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes our Country is slow in showing it's gratitude for those who gave everything for our way of life. Your Great Uncle was a very honorable person who became a Hero.

I am proud of you families' legacy, thanks for sharing it with us. You should be very proud yourself, I'm sure you are.

g