Direct TV vs. Cable and what DVR to get????

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct TV vs. Cable and what DVR to get????

I am moving into a new apartment in August and since I will be finally without roommates I figured I would go ahead and get some nice electronics. I was thinking of going with Direct TV since they have a great HD lineup and lots of channels for the $. I have to have internet so I will have to get at least that through the cable company which makes me think I should go ahead and get it all on one bill, even though it lacks as much channels and few HD options. I hear sat. goes out in the rain often and then I have heard it does not.

I am also puzzled at which DVR to get. I can just get one through the provider which seems the easiest and cheapest or I was looking into the Tivo stuff. I do not understand the point in buying a Tivo for 300-800 dollars when I can rent a DVR through the cable or sat. company. Maybe there is something I missed. I know Tivo has lots of outputs and computer capabilities but how much would I use that? I guess that is up to me but what are your guys' opinions?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Att uverse, give me your address and i can tell you if its available. If it is i can get you hooked up. Has internet and cable burbled, comes with dvr.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Since you are getting broadband for internet, you can probably get a package deal on that and cable TV.

Unless you want NFL Sunday Ticket, in which case you need to get DirecTV. I have the HD-20 DVR. The difference between that and the HD-21 is the 20 has an input for off-air antenna allowing you to get Houston local digital channels.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going to be living in Bryan, TX while I finish my Master's degree. I was really wanting to get some football stuff, but I am sure that the games will be on other channels too. Not all of em but I don't think the Sunday Ticket will be a deal maker/breaker.

This HD-20 and HD-21, are these through your provider? Or separate like Tivo?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JankesGTO
Att uverse, give me your address and i can tell you if its available. If it is i can get you hooked up. Has internet and cable burbled, comes with dvr.
I'm with this guy. I have U-verse and it rocks the cas bar. Better picture, tons of channels and even more HD channels. Comes with DVR meaning you don't have to pay $5 a month for it. You get hooked up to 3 tv's where as with satellite you have to pay $5 a month extra for each tv over the first one.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

I checked the address and the U-verse is unavailable in that area.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium

This HD-20 and HD-21, are these through your provider? Or separate like Tivo?
Those DVRs are supplied by DirecTV. I'm not saying these are even close to being the best. I NEED NFL Sunday Ticket They do get the job done.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to work for DirectV as a Tech. Their DVR's require TWO LINES to record and watch tv at the same time. otherwise youll have to watch you record. If an APT, you'll have to have a line running between the door or window accross the room and those flat wires cost 5 bucks a piece.

Secondly,DIrectv says "150" HD channels. What they dont tell you is that 99% of those are local HD channels you can't even get.

If you do go that route, get the black DVR box, HRF 21 I think. Fairly new and good lookin'.

Coming from a former tech for DirecTV, Uverse and Fios have better picture quality and less trouble thanDirecTV's HD
Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Josh, I think I'll have to go with Suddenlink, they will be providing my internet and I'll just get their HD DVR package. I think the price comes to about the same as DirectTV minus the internet. One bill and installation will be a lot easier I am sure.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

I had ATT at my old apartment and loved it. I was told that I can't get it out at my new house. I need to try again as I do not want to have to get satellite with no option of high speed internet.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy_S
I had ATT at my old apartment and loved it. I was told that I can't get it out at my new house. I need to try again as I do not want to have to get satellite with no option of high speed internet.

Comcast
Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Comcast
Negative I live out in the sticks.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Negative I live out in the sticks.
Man, that's super gay.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comcast sucks ***** anyway

anyone know anything about FTA? Is it worth the hassle?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
Comcast sucks ***** anyway
How so?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having trouble with ALL of the HD channels (hesitations and some times nothing at all) also i have had to replace my box 4 times now, and the internet is pretty much hit or miss. I have checked all connections, and narrowed it down to the service. Just my opinion.

My contract with them is up soon, so i will be looking at other options.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
Thanks Josh, I think I'll have to go with Suddenlink, they will be providing my internet and I'll just get their HD DVR package. I think the price comes to about the same as DirectTV minus the internet. One bill and installation will be a lot easier I am sure.
i absolutely hate Suddenlink, at least for internet service. some people in B/CS use them and have no problems, but each time i've used their service, i constantly had problems with the service going out on me, or cable modems dying on me & whatnot. and when i cancelled service with them, they tried to make me pay again for a cable modem i already paid for up front when i first ordered the service....idiots

i personally have DirecTV for my TV service, with one of the older Tivo-based DVR's, and i love the service. it's only an extra $5/month for the Tivo DVR service, regardless of how many DVR units i have on the account. i could have only 1 tivo receiver, or 5 of them, and for the DVR service, i'd still only pay $5 per month. of course, that doesn't include the additional $5 mirroring charge for each separate receiver.

the only thing that sucks though, is that DirecTV no longer offers the Tivo-based units, they have their own DVR now, that (according to nearly everyone i've heard talk about it) sucks donkey ***** in comparison to Tivo.

unfortunately, in B/CS, there's really only 3 options.....Suddenlink cable, DirecTV, or Dish Network.

but if you want the ultimate DVR setup, go with something like MythTV...you won't have to pay anything extra for the PVR/DVR service, you only have to supply a computer with the appropriate hardware (large hard drive(s), TV tuner(s), etc.) and install the MythTV software (it's based on linux). not sure what options there are for HD content with that, though....i've not really looked into it that much myself, since i'm happy for now with my DirecTivo service.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JankesGTO
If you can avoid it, do not get U Verse. I have it, but it isn't true fiber to the home. It is only fiber to the DSLAMs and then copper to your house. If you can get Verizon FiOS, do it. You can get up to 50down/50up.

As far as the TV, between DirectTV and Cable, DirectTV hands down. Satellite can download at a much higher bandwidth then Cable, the only downside is that you can't play FPS games because of the high latency. With Cable, you get highly compressed HD channels (the same with UVerse) which makes the HD quality a lot lower. DirecTV barely compresses the HD and produces an insane quality on 1920x1080.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DTV doesn't offer the net anymore from what they told me when I asked about it

Originally Posted by adillhoff
If you can avoid it, do not get U Verse. I have it, but it isn't true fiber to the home. It is only fiber to the DSLAMs and then copper to your house. If you can get Verizon FiOS, do it. You can get up to 50down/50up.

As far as the TV, between DirectTV and Cable, DirectTV hands down. Satellite can download at a much higher bandwidth then Cable, the only downside is that you can't play FPS games because of the high latency. With Cable, you get highly compressed HD channels (the same with UVerse) which makes the HD quality a lot lower. DirecTV barely compresses the HD and produces an insane quality on 1920x1080.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

The offer it through a company called Hughesnet. It's expensive, but if it's your only option it's better than nothing. If you want great quality HD you pretty much have two options: Verizon FiOS or DirecTV. Verizon will have internet and tv into one. If you can get it I highly recommend it.