Help needed with damn dog

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy_S
I ended up with one that is capable of making boobie traps but only successfull at hosing down an individual. I guess if a dog pissed on me I would leave also.
Thats funny man. You need to take that dog out for walks. My dog used t be the same (pitbull) Started taking him out for walks about 8:00 pm and he would sleep all night. No barking, no digging. Out cold!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Randy,

Buy a damn shock collar and shock the **** out of him every time you see him digging. He'll stop.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Randy,

Buy a damn shock collar and shock the **** out of him every time you see him digging. He'll stop.
That is the problem. I don't see him doing it. He does it when we are gone and in the middle of the night.

He is now 30 lbs of **** stuffed in a 15 lb box!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Your dog has too much energy (digging), confidence issues (the peeing), and needs a leader, not someone who just beats him when he gets up/out/home. There is no replacement for the time you need to put in to show this dog his role. That needs to include running and walking, lots of it. That will accomplish all 3:
1. He'll learn what to do and not do with you there (rules)
2. He'll learn to listen to you and follow the rules (confidence/role)
3. He'll burn the energy, which will make him more compliant AND less likely to dig.

There is no substitution for the time these dogs require. You cannot just lock them in the back yard and expect them to know what you want. Shepherds and collies are working dogs that need exercise and direction, if you as the pack leader don't give it, they will find their own. If you do, they are f****** awesome dogs.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That is the problem. I don't see him doing it. He does it when we are gone and in the middle of the night.

He is now 30 lbs of **** stuffed in a 15 lb box!
I'd stay up late on the weekends and watch him just to catch him in the act and shock his ***. It'll work.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

to go along with the walking remedy, a frisbee is a great way to ensure you BOTH enjoy the time together and him getting worn out. I didn't even teach my Australian Shepherd how to play frisbee, he just learned he could get there before it hit the ground and now he's a sight to see when he's playing. It's fun for me, he loves it more than anything else, and other people really enjoy watching a good frisbee dog. It really does wear him out, and it brings you together, both are great for relieving the trouble making habits he has been having problems with

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-12-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I'd stay up late on the weekends and watch him just to catch him in the act and shock his ***. It'll work.
BB gun or .40 cal?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

This thread is absolutely hysterical, some very good advice, and I love Randy's pissing dog. But the hitting isn't accomplishing anything except relieving your stress towards the animal. Unless you catch them in the act, inflicting damage does nothing. My 2 cents.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fabrizi
This thread is absolutely hysterical, some very good advice, and I love Randy's pissing dog. But the hitting isn't accomplishing anything except relieving your stress towards the animal. Unless you catch them in the act, inflicting damage does nothing. My 2 cents.
I agree which is why I am going to try a different approach.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off, a puppy sees you as a 400 pound gorilla screaming and yelling and dragging it around and stuffing it in a box. If a 400 pound gorilla did that to you you'd be pissing all the way to the box too....I know I would...

I'm not hacking on ya, just repeating something I read - we have a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy with some of the same problems. Puppies will 2 things when they are BORED - chew and dig. Being of a "working dog" breed, if you don't give the dog a "job" it will invent its own - like digging holes.

Another thing I read is that when you find the dog doing something you don't want it to do is to scream and yell NOT at the dog, but at the other object - like the hole. Scream and yell and the hole, kick it, beat it, whatever. You family and neighbors will thing you've gone off the deep end, but your dog will see that hole as BAD and, maybe it'll quit digging them...

Anyway, gotta go pick up my puppy from the vet - had it fixed...
Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

I have gotten a good list of things to try with the dog here. BB gun, .40 cal, balloons to pop, burying the dog, hitting it with a frisbee, beating it with a leash at the park, etc.
I can say this, since getting this dog, my Jack Russell has straightened right up and does nothing wrong. If anyone needs some obedience out of their dog, I can lease mine out so you can use it as an example to yours of what happens when they screw up!

Seriously though, I am going to try some calmer approaches with him and see if he comes around. I really want it to work out as he is a very pretty dog and has a nice look in his eyes.

If he lasts for another two weeks, his ***** will be gone along with the Jack Russells at the same time.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Pimp

I laughed the whole way through this thread. I think we are all allowed only one great dog in our lifetimes. I've had mine already, I don't think I'll be getting another one anytime soon.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Launching!

i would have to say this is quite comical. obviously the dog is bored. when i first got mine, we would leave him outside during the day! he was digging, chewing up the fence and even getting out. he was even nicknamed digger. i bought a cage/kennel/crate (whatever you wanna call it) he stayed in there while we were gone from work and at night to sleep. of course mine is a house dog. he's also a dalmatian/pit bull mix and now weighs 80-90 lbs
Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

That's the same thing the chicken wire concept does. When their claws scratch the wire they don't like it and usually quit.

Originally Posted by kraemer94
This might sound funny but this is what I found online and I did and my German sheppard stop digging.
Blow up some balloons and bury them in the area your dog likes to dig. When he strikes a balloon, the noise of it popping startles your dog. In some cases the negative association this produces is enough to stop your dog from digging in the future.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

i poured powdered chili pepper in my dogs favorite spots, one sniff and he stopped
Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Get him de-clawed, or pay a trainer to work with both you and him on teaching him what he can and can't do. If it's a shepherd or collie, it should be very intelligent and will never grow too old to learn new rules and boundaries.
Not the answer!!!!!

Scoop up his poop and put it in the holes he digs. He will eventually stop. Dogs dont like to dig in their own ****.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

That actually sounds like a good idea.

Now, how do I get him to quit pissing everytime you praise him, scold him, tell him that the wind has shifted... He pees constantly. I hope that getting his nuts cut will stop that mostly.
thats a sign of a submissive pee'er. thats actually a good sign. They will grow out of it. A submissive dog is a very fast learner. Work with him!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Your dog has too much energy (digging), confidence issues (the peeing), and needs a leader, not someone who just beats him when he gets up/out/home. There is no replacement for the time you need to put in to show this dog his role. That needs to include running and walking, lots of it. That will accomplish all 3:
1. He'll learn what to do and not do with you there (rules)
2. He'll learn to listen to you and follow the rules (confidence/role)
3. He'll burn the energy, which will make him more compliant AND less likely to dig.

There is no substitution for the time these dogs require. You cannot just lock them in the back yard and expect them to know what you want. Shepherds and collies are working dogs that need exercise and direction, if you as the pack leader don't give it, they will find their own. If you do, they are f****** awesome dogs.
Best advice ever. An owner needs to be pack leader at all times and that goes for any dog you own.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

I have gotten a good list of things to try with the dog here. BB gun, .40 cal, balloons to pop, burying the dog, hitting it with a frisbee, beating it with a leash at the park, etc.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

+ 1 on the exercise, they are a high energy dog and need to let out that energy by walking and running.
Remember dogs are the ancestors of wolves and they are constantly on the move. Dogs can do a lot of damage with all of that energy and anxiety.