Help needed with damn dog

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help needed with damn dog

I suckered up and got a dog off of Craigslist that a lady had seen thrown from a car. He is a very pretty dog with either some Sheppard or Collie mix to him. He has a good temper but he won't quit digging up my damn backyard. He already chewed all the bark off of my cypress tree which is now dead and as of last night he proceeded to dig a giant hole in our new rose garden that I spent half an hour fertilizing and watering yesterday. I saw it this morning and just lost it. I drug him over to it by his collar, popped him twice, kicked him once, then threw him in the hole. I know that I over-reacted but I was at the end of my line with him. I have already had to pour a concrete patio after he dug up the layed out rock one that we had. I told my fiance that if she wanted to keep him then I will no longer be doing any work in our backyard to keep it pretty. I will mow and that is all. I am not going to put any real effort into it only for him to dig it all up.

How do I get this damn dog to quit digging before I add a lot of iron in his blood with the help of my .40 cal?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Get him de-clawed, or pay a trainer to work with both you and him on teaching him what he can and can't do. If it's a shepherd or collie, it should be very intelligent and will never grow too old to learn new rules and boundaries.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-12-2008, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Can't you spray some stuff where you don't want him to go? Vinegar?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

I bought some nasty tasting stuff hoping he would deter from it. He licks it up like it is milk.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

i have a gun, but for real take him out to dog parks and let him burn off that energy i have white lab and thats what we have to do, but hes not that big of a digger just very hyper. petsmart and petco offers classes and thats what we did since he was a puppy. good luck
Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call the dog whisperer...j/k. Maybe you can do a search online for dog trainers in your area...or hell put is *** in a 6x6 kennel...whatch him dig a hole to get out though
Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Banned

my dog would dig....it was a phase. They will grow out of it...well at least most do.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Well bring your dog down to have a talk with my dog so that he will stop. I poured a 8'x15' concrete patio this weekend to get him to quit digging in our sand and rock patio. I do not plan on concreting in the entire backyard.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Put chicken wire under the dirt.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Launching!

This might sound funny but this is what I found online and I did and my German sheppard stop digging.
Blow up some balloons and bury them in the area your dog likes to dig. When he strikes a balloon, the noise of it popping startles your dog. In some cases the negative association this produces is enough to stop your dog from digging in the future.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kraemer94
This might sound funny but this is what I found online and I did and my German sheppard stop digging.
Blow up some balloons and bury them in the area your dog likes to dig. When he strikes a balloon, the noise of it popping startles your dog. In some cases the negative association this produces is enough to stop your dog from digging in the future.
That actually sounds like a good idea.

Now, how do I get him to quit pissing everytime you praise him, scold him, tell him that the wind has shifted... He pees constantly. I hope that getting his nuts cut will stop that mostly.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Is he a pup?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

in for updates.... my jack russel/wire terrier digs...
Old 05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Randy_S
That actually sounds like a good idea.

Now, how do I get him to quit pissing everytime you praise him, scold him, tell him that the wind has shifted... He pees constantly. I hope that getting his nuts cut will stop that mostly.
Sounds just like what I'm going through with our 6 month old puppy. He digs, then he jumps all over you and claws you to death, then he gets excited when you pet him or spank him and pisses all over himself, you, and anything else within a 2 ft radius. Puppies are a pain in the ***. My vet gave me the name of a good trainer. I haven't tried the training thing yet (and don't know how much it costs) but getting ready to call her up....
Old 05-12-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

my shepherd started digging lately for some reason I put down a slab under the backyard gate so she wouldnt dig anymore, but she managed to get some of the damn concrete up
Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Yep, puppies are a PITA, it is a phase and they'll grow out of it, some longer than others. We have a Siberian and a Sheltie and got them both within a week of each other. I have heard of putting chicken wire about 1~2" below the dirt to deter digging but never tried it. Our dogs are inside dogs so when they went outside we kept close eye on them. Best thing is to catch them in the act so they know what they did wrong when they get scolded. Our Siberian was the digger, the Sheltie is the pisser when he gets scolded or when I approach him with a stern tone of voice. We would scold and spank the Siberian when we caught her digging and then put her poop in the hole and cover it back up. Our Sheltie is just a big weenie, I have just learned to not raise my voice when he does something wrong so he doesn't go running away...when I get ahold of him I'll wrap a towel around his belly so he doesn't pee on the floor if he did something bad inside, then spank him. lol
Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Well I just went home for lunch and found three new holes that he has dug since I left for work this morning. I promptly snatched him up and put him in my other dog's pet carrier. He cannot quite stand up in it but he pissed the whole way to it. He will remain living in there while I am gone until he learns to stop. If he continues to dig at night then he will sleep in there as well.

I got this dog to get my Jack Russell a friend and so he would stop chewing and digging small holes. Now this one digs holes large enough to bury the Jack Russell in.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can get rid of the big dog and come get the jack russel mut from my house....
Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
you can get rid of the big dog and come get the jack russel mut from my house....
No thanks, I wanted to get a larger dog for backyard protection. If someone comes through my gate, I wanted a dog that would deter them somewhat. I ended up with one that is capable of making boobie traps but only successfull at hosing down an individual. I guess if a dog pissed on me I would leave also.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

LOL next time he digs a hole...bury his *** in it and im sure he will get the point to stop diggin after a night in the hole LOL